Homebuilt flipped

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by the near-total destruction of the aircraft, and the crash position just short of the runway, I'd hazard a guess that wasn't a flip after landing - it was a stall prior to landing, resulting in nothing less than uncontrolled flight into terrain.

I find it hard to believe two of the pax escaped with minor injuries. I trust the pilot pulls through, he's in a very serious condition with some major injuries.

Caloundra plane crash pilot in serious condition

• Agree 2

Judging by the near-total destruction of the aircraft, and the crash position just short of the runway, I'd hazard a guess that wasn't a flip after landing - it was a stall prior to landing, resulting in nothing less than uncontrolled flight into terrain.I find it hard to believe two of the pax escaped with minor injuries. I trust the pilot pulls through, he's in a very serious condition with some major injuries.

Caloundra plane crash pilot in serious condition

That's supported by a witness on tonight's news describing a turn on to "final" and a wing drop approaching the airstrip.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdfQfBrJzNvc1Pov9odsW_EXU2MW50sJVwsUk1fOa8J3KG-o7Y9v3jh_Cqmg

Pilot has been named in the media.

VH-BEG

Manufacturer:

AMATEUR BUILT AIRCRAFT

Model:

SLING 4

Serial number:

Engine type:

Piston

No of engines:

Aircraft first registered in Australia:

19 October 2015

Year of manufacture:

Registration holder:

BERG, Ben Peter

Registration holder commencement date:

19 October 2015

Just a well-intentioned note to the OP and other future posters of events that people might like to have some idea of what the thread is about ... a title like 'what happened today' tells us nothing.

Suggest OP and others might in future consider a title more like 'Sling 4 crash at Caboolture 12th August 2017' ... if you like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Winner 3

Just a well-intentioned note to the OP and other future posters of events that people might like to have some idea of what the thread is about ... a title like 'what happened today' tells us nothing.Suggest OP and others might in future consider a title more like 'Sling 4 crash at Caboolture 12th August 2017' ... if you like.

Yeah, there needs to be a standard format. "aircraft type", "incident type", "location", "date".

• Helpful 1

Just a well-intentioned note to the OP and other future posters of events that people might like to have some idea of what the thread is about ... a title like 'what happened today' tells us nothing.Suggest OP and others might in future consider a title more like 'Sling 4 crash at Caboolture 12th August 2017' ... if you like.

sorry guys. am not at home and come into room at hotel to see news flash with no details. just said homebuilt aircraft crashed. assumed it was another of our raaus planes. news like this is always bad. not good for family to see when trying to convince them to hop in with you.

sorry guys. am not at home and come into room at hotel to see news flash with no details. just said homebuilt aircraft crashed. assumed it was another of our raaus planes. news like this is always bad. not good for family to see when trying to convince them to hop in with you.

Can you edit the heading?

Even just the location and date helps.

I often go through the Aircraft incidents and accidents section looking for details sometimes on an incident which might have happened years ago, and it can take hours to put together a spreadsheet to provide some meaningful conclusions about trends etc.

If there's a date you can at least then start searching media reports; if there's a location, that will pick up local newspapers.

The problem with the heading "today" is it's out of date within a few hours.

• Agree 4

Courier Mail report from News section:

Snr Sgt Revelle said the plane touched down in dirt parallel to the Caloundra Aerodrome runway before the right wing dug into the ground and launched the plane into a cartwheel ending it up on its roof.

“Apparently there was a bit of a cross wind and he was trying to deal with that which is why he was to the right of the runway and that’s where he’s come to grief,” he said.

Hi all I had the pleasure of meeting him last year when i sold my J400 he was the pilot who flew it back to Jackobs well with the new owner of my plane very nice man i hope he pulls through.

Cheers Rory

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Courier Mail report from News section:Snr Sgt Revelle said the plane touched down in dirt parallel to the Caloundra Aerodrome runway before the right wing dug into the ground and launched the plane into a cartwheel ending it up on its roof.

“Apparently there was a bit of a cross wind and he was trying to deal with that which is why he was to the right of the runway and that’s where he’s come to grief,” he said.

That explains a lot. At Caloundra the dirt/grass each side of the runways can be extremely boggy even when it hasn't rained for quite a while. I nearly came badly unstuck, or perhaps I should say 'stuck' in my 172 when I chose to land on the grass instead of the bitumen, trying to be kind to my new tyres. I never made that mistake again ...

Isn't it strange that those houses look fairly new, if you are worried about aircraft operations that close don't build next to an existing airstrip, spend a bit more on land somewhere else. You don't hear about airparks having a higher number of aircraft meeting buildings than anywhere else. None of us tries to have a bad day like these unlucky flyers have had. They would have just wanted to enjoy a great outing in their aircraft. Hope they are recovering well.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 2

That's how the cycle goes. Airport built in prime real estate location, so they develop all around the airport with morons who buy with the piano keys practically in their back yard then complain about aircraft noise and safety hazards so the airport disappears. I don't know if their will be a Caloundra airport a decade from now.

• Caution 1

That's how the cycle goes. Airport built in prime real estate location, so they develop all around the airport with morons who buy with the piano keys practically in their back yard then complain about aircraft noise and safety hazards so the airport disappears. I don't know if their will be a Caloundra airport a decade from now.

I think there's a little variation in most cases. It's:

Airport built in Non-prime real estate. The good stuff gets sold up over the years and the developers move outward toward the airports.

Prime real estate is expensive but some one develops some land near the airport precisely because it's not prime and sells it cheap. People with lower incomes buy it and because they don't do their homework or take much notice of the airport get a big surprise when they start to hear planes.

People begin to forget they bought cheap land because it's near an airport and is not prime real estate. They start to make noises and lobby and often use emotive stuff like "we are poor people. If we were rich someone would fix our problem but we are poor and all the rich people have planes and are causing us poor hard working battlers to suffer. "

• Like 1
  • Agree 3