The shiny new-look RAA?

NT5224

Turbo your moniker is interesting: "Strategy can compensate for lack of talent but talent never compensates for lack of strategy."In retort others have made these observations:

“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory, tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” Sun Tsu, Ancient Chinese Military strategist

“However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results” – Sir Winston Churchill

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction”—Albert Einstein

and best of all

“We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out” Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles 1962

So before blowing people off take a minute to think about this:

“There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all” Peter Drucker (the father of modern management theory)

Re: "In retort others have made these observations." Turboplanner must be very famous for all those people to have felt the need to retort.

In any event, none of the quotes refute what Turboplanner said. Least of all the Decca quote.

What were you thinking?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: "In retort others have made these observations." Turboplanner must be very famous for all those people to have felt the need to retort.In any event, none of the quotes refute what Turboplanner said. Least of all the Decca quote.

What were you thinking?

For some I might have been filling the ether with noise for others it may have caused some reflection

For some I might have been filling the ether with noise for others it may have caused some reflection

Put me down in the noise camp. Do you really think that any of the above people would disagree with turboplanner's saying? Suppose they would have disagreed with him: you have not managed to find any quotes that say so. His quote says that strategy is important. Do any of the people you quoted say that strategy is not important?

Put me down in the noise camp. Do you really think that any of the above people would disagree with turboplanner's saying? Suppose they would have disagreed with him: you have not managed to find any quotes that say so. His quote says that strategy is important. Do any of the people you quoted say that strategy is not important?

The point isnt that strategy is not important, it is that strategy is not the only thing. For too long now we have witnessed the evolution of systems where if the paperwork is in place (ie for example the written strategy) then we insulated ourselves from risk. On many occasions managers of emergency services agencies have been caught with their pants down because their strategy was deficient (not my view this is the view of enquiries and coroners). That is the point of the quotes. Sure, have a plan but rely on it absolutely at your peril.

Equating strategy with paperwork is bizarre.

The conventional theory is that if a strategy is not committed to paper (ie paperwork) then it is not a strategy - how is that bizarre? or are you simply being obtuse?

Turbo your moniker is interesting: "Strategy can compensate for lack of talent but talent never compensates for lack of strategy."In retort others have made these observations:

“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory, tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” Sun Tsu, Ancient Chinese Military strategist

“However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results” – Sir Winston Churchill

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction”—Albert Einstein

and best of all

“We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out” Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles 1962

So before blowing people off take a minute to think about this:

“There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all” Peter Drucker (the father of modern management theory)

You forgot "There's none so blind as those who will not see"...075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

Forests and trees and all that.

The point isnt that strategy is not important, it is that strategy is not the only thing. For too long now we have witnessed the evolution of systems where if the paperwork is in place (ie for example the written strategy) then we insulated ourselves from risk. On many occasions managers of emergency services agencies have been caught with their pants down because their strategy was deficient (not my view this is the view of enquiries and coroners). That is the point of the quotes. Sure, have a plan but rely on it absolutely at your peril.

And, if Turboplanner said that strategy was the only thing, then I missed it. And, I if Turboplanner said that one should rely absolutely on a plan, I missed that too.

You might prefer having conversations and not posting them. That way people won't interrupt you.

The conventional theory is that if a strategy is not committed to paper (ie paperwork) then it is not a strategy - how is that bizarre? or are you simply being obtuse?

What's bizarre is your above comment. You are conflating "paperwork" as in forms, and "paperwork" as in writing down a strategy, plan, tactic and whatever.

If you wanted to change the way people fly, you would have a hard time if you did not commit anything to paper or to an electronic record. Perhaps you could communicate through a dance recital at the next meeting. Or, perhaps canvasses. Or give a speech, but make sure that no one took any notes.

What's bizarre is your above comment. You are conflating "paperwork" as in forms, and "paperwork" as in writing down a strategy, plan, tactic and whatever.If you wanted to change the way people fly, you would have a hard time if you did not commit anything to paper or to an electronic record. Perhaps you could communicate through a dance recital at the next meeting. Or, perhaps canvasses. Or give a speech, but make sure that no one took any notes.

Why do people need to change how they fly?

If you have been flying in a manner which hasn't killed you, and isn't likely to, why would you change it?

As far as the written documentation thing: Authorities believe that if you document everything, then you must have done it, from the Family Law Court through to Aviation Maintenance. The fact that someone might document something they didn't do or make a document that just fills the requirement of having a document seems to be completely ignored. There has been considerable extra documentation required in the last 10-15 years, and has done nothing except fill a requirement and waste very expensive time.

There are many jobs that I do that take far longer to correctly document than it does to do the job, and that is using the computer based maintenance management that was designed to improve maintenance documentation and reduce overservicing, and all it has done is increase both.

BTW, “There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all” Peter Drucker (the father of modern management theory) refutes most of anything Turbo has to say.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Why do people need to change how they fly?If you have been flying in a manner which hasn't killed you, and isn't likely to, why would you change it?

As far as the written documentation thing: Authorities believe that if you document everything, then you must have done it, from the Family Law Court through to Aviation Maintenance. The fact that someone might document something they didn't do or make a document that just fills the requirement of having a document seems to be completely ignored. There has been considerable extra documentation required in the last 10-15 years, and has done nothing except fill a requirement and waste very expensive time.

There are many jobs that I do that take far longer to correctly document than it does to do the job, and that is using the computer based maintenance management that was designed to improve maintenance documentation and reduce overservicing, and all it has done is increase both.

BTW, “There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all” Peter Drucker (the father of modern management theory) refutes most of anything Turbo has to say.

I agree that useless paperwork is useless.

If you have been flying in a manner that is not likely to kill you, the reason to change it would be to make it less likely still.

Turbo might, and might not, say useless things, or advocate useless things. I don't know.

But I do know that no one has managed to find a good argument against the saying at the end of his posts.

.. was n't Mein Kampf such a written strategy ......................... that proved a bit deficient ?

Can't say. Didn't read it. But how, on earth, does that comment contribute to anything? No one said that all strategies are good, or that writing down a strategy makes it correct.

• Agree 1

Clearly the weather where you blokes are is socked in. Suggestion: Roll the hangar doors open, push the flying machine out in the sunshine (when the weather clears), top up the tanks, do a good pre-flight and go do some flying. It's quite fun you know. :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

• 4 weeks later...
We are being sold out to a CASA wishlist by our own Chairman. With the new board set up no discussion entered into just full steam ahead for increased fees, more stringent maintenance requirement. Possibly requiring a professional to perform even simple maintenance tasks. ie L1 qualification taken away requiring sitting an exam to be legally able to do tasks we used to be allowed to do. (God help you if you own a Jabiru.) We will loose our "point of difference" if increased weight limits (up to 1500kgs) come into being. Why is Mike M pushing for access to controlled airspace for us - if you want to do this go GA. RAA was about low cost, minimum regulation for maximum fun we are literally going to end up "GA mk2" costing as much as our GA cousins are paying now. CASA has ruined GA and if allowed to continue their influence on our leadership they will do the same to us.

What is happening.??.... I know for sure it is silent....This went quiet when the Tech. Manual was silently presented to CASA for approval.

What is happening in the Tech world? What is happening in the Opps world? It is all so quiet.

KP.

The reason that RAA is a company is that the members voted to make it so.I voted against the change to the constitution and pointed out the problems, both to RAAus as it was then and here on this site. too few voted against the change so we are stuck with it.

I can at least fly GA and do my own maintenance, but I am not certain about the legality of maintaining my RAA rego plane. I have asked the question more than once and received no reply from RAAus. So if it all goes pear shaped I will say I built the plane, I have done the maintenance procedures course and I maintain it in accordance with CASA schedule 5.

Now there is..hmmmmmm.. much is done in secret.. It is a members organisation members must be consulted.. A few years ago these members on the board yelled about a secret society, gosh what is going on --- the silence is deafening.

KP

What's happening with the Elaaa? Is their ops and tech manuals out and about?

We are amending the manuals to compensate for a change of plan.. There has been a change to Part149 and Part103 implementation date hence all the extra work.

BUT....Wait there could be more with Minister Joyce... Minister Chester was very interested with Latte's and Lobsters. See what is in the New Year. (??????)

KP

• Like 1

I have no first-hand experience of your bureaucracy. In that context, I offer a hypothesis: your "leadership" has been seduced by the prospect of power, prestige, and a bigger pay packet.Making RAA closer to PPL just seems crazy to me.

What I have been told you are not to far from the truth.

KP

Greed, power games, self promotion and empire building at the expense of the members and the core interest of the organisation. Yep, most of us just want to fly. We are not all millionaires, its why we fly ultralight. The joy of flying is soon shattered by Egotistical bureaucrats looking to make a name for themselves. Over regulation and "big brother " rules that are not needed.

How to stuff up a great organisation, privatise it, make it a corporation, disregard the cattle (sorry..members), give all the power to a small group and attempt top become a semi Government body. Death by regulation...

• Agree 4
  • Helpful 1

Hello robinsm, I think the value of the empire building is crumbling the reserves going/have gone into keeping it all afloat. One can only use the capital for so long and it runs dry, after it is dry there is not much hope.

KP