Future Sport Pilot!

HJpro7

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome,Tell us more.

Are you considering starting flight training or coming over from another aviation stream?

Hi Tony,

I'm planning on doing training in the next few years, probably after I finish UNI (I'm only 16 rn). Studying towards aeronautical engineering, and I thought flying will be a fun way to pass time. Just trying to save some cash.

Flying certainly is a fun way to pass your time, and definitely worth the time, effort and expense. And you can get your Recreational Pilot Certificate (RPC) at 16. You will need to get your pocket money ready though, flight training to certificate issue completion normally costs about $8000 to $10000, but you only have to pay out at 1 lesson at a time, usually from $200 to $250 per 1 hour lesson. Alternatively you may qualify for a scholarship through RAAus, it may be worth checking it out, you are at the right age for it. Scholarships - RAAus

I know another young man around your age who got his RPC at your age through the RAAus scholarship. He trained at the same flying school that I went through. Last time I spoke to him, he was looking to join the RAAF as a pilot. They were indicating to him that they acknowledge the high quality training that RAAus deliver, so it will be a good foundation for further training.

I regret not becoming a pilot at your age. I left it until I turned 50, but better late than never.....

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

The thing I'm not trying to prioritize my flying passion over my education and future career. This is probably why my parents think I'm just crazy, even my dad who's an engineer himself that loves aviation.

I planning:

- Get my license for LSA or RPL

- save up enough money (approx. 50,000 AUD) along side paying off everything else

- buy a kit aircraft, maybe a vans rv-4 or Morgan Aeroworks Sierra 100 or Zenith CH650

- buying a kit is gonna save me a ton of cash in the long run so that's what I'm aiming at

- build that aircraft over maybe 2-3 years

- and fly that as much as possible over as long a period.

PS. I want to get a 2 place aircraft so I can share the fun and experience with everyone

• Agree 1

You can do all that on RAAus RPC, I currently hold a RPC with Pax and XC endorsements and I own a Jab LSA55, a very nice 2 seater aircraft under $30000. Check out the RAAus Classifieds for an idea of what you can expect to pay for a plane. Aviation Classifieds Another bonus with RAAus, you can become a L1 and service your own aircraft, and perform minor maintenance on it, which can reduce costs considerably.

If you want to build, there is a wealth of advice on here.

- save up enough money (approx. 50,000 AUD) along side paying off everything else

- buy a kit aircraft, maybe a vans rv-4 or Morgan Aeroworks Sierra 100 or Zenith CH650

- buying a kit is gonna save me a ton of cash in the long run so that's what I'm aiming at

- build that aircraft over maybe 2-3 years

Good to hear of your enthusiasm for getting airborne. I'm sure you'll love it.

Be careful of what seems 'common sense' as regards the cost of acquiring an aeroplane, though. In particular, buying & building every kit aircraft I know of is going to cost you waay more than buying used. There are often Jabirus & Cessnas around that are perfectly airworthy and that you could buy for half of your budget.

And if you really want to have the most fun flying, at the lowest cost, look at some of the rag-&-tube ultralights that come up for sale from time to time. Thrusters, Drifters, or Trikes if you want to go weightshift. There's a 2 seat Quicksilver 3 axis for $16k over in Classifieds; a trike for $11k, & you can pay as little as $5k for an airworthy aircraft.

It is of course essential to take advice from a suitably qualified person before you part with your hard earned savings, but there is no doubt that you will save a big bunch of cash buying secondhand over building a kit. Have a look through various market sites & you'll see what I mean.

And instead of building for 2 or 3 years, you can be gaining experience in the air, which will help you decide what type of aircraft you want to build later on.

Bruce

Be careful of what seems 'common sense' as regards the cost of acquiring an aeroplane, though. In particular, buying & building every kit aircraft I know of is going to cost you waay more than buying used. There are often Jabirus & Cessnas around that are perfectly airworthy and that you could buy for half of your budget.

Bruce

I've done some researching on the prices for used aircraft vs a buying a kit, and I do realise you can purchase a used one for SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. But the cost of maintaining will be less on a kit aircraft you build as you are the manufacturer of the aircraft, so you don't have to get it inspected every so often my a professional.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Mate get a set of plans, say for a Zenith 700 series, and start making all the little bits.

A few parts every weekend or after school without disturbing your social life, and in a few years when you're ready, you will have a plane ready to go for very little cost.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've done some researching on the prices for used aircraft vs a buying a kit, and I do realise you can purchase a used one for SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. But the cost of maintaining will be less on a kit aircraft you build as you are the manufacturer of the aircraft, so you don't have to get it inspected every so often my a professional.

True. But you can buy an awful lot of professional maintenance for $45,000.

Your proposed kit cost budget is $50,000. Having built your kit, you are allowed to perform some of your own maintenance on it, thus saving some money.

Instead, you could buy a used rag & tube ultralight for as little as $5000.

That leaves you $(50,000 - 5,000) = $45,000 to spend on maintenance until you break even on the two choices.

And as Tony pointed out above, if you get your L1 ticket (at no cost) from RAA, you can do a lot of routine maintenance on your own aircraft. Obviously there's lots of differences between the example aircraft, but I was trying to point out the cheapest, & quickest, way to get into the air.

I'm not suggesting you don't ever build. I've done it (see my avatar), & thoroughly enjoyed it. But the cheapest way to own an aeroplane it aint.

True. But you can buy an awful lot of professional maintenance for $45,000.

You're talking $45K to a 16 year old student.

Hjpro7, how about some insight into what you desire, you are the future market after all.

I am considering doing a very simple and incredibly cheap one of these, does this grab your attention? It's called Pou De Ciel, (Flying Flea) pronounced "poo" Play from 14 minutes onwards ..

Can you imagine yourself and a few Mates skimming around in those?

One of the world's easiest planes to fly, just a stick, left and right turn and up and down, that's it.

Looks pretty sweet! But I'm looking for a 2 place so I can share the experience with friends and family.

I was speaking of the concept, not that plane specifically.

You might like to actually watch it ...

Oh sorry I misunderstood,

I do indeed like the idea, in fact, I might even design something like this myself in the near future.

And I did watch the video but the audio quality was pretty bad so I muted it lol.

I think what you should do Hjpro7, is scrape together enough money to get a Trial Introductory Flight (TIF) with a local flying school, and see if flying is for you. Then work on getting your flight training sorted.

I think what you should do Hjpro7, is scrape together enough money to get a Trial Introductory Flight (TIF) with a local flying school, and see if flying is for you. Then work on getting your flight training sorted.

Fair point, but as an aspiring engineer I want to start conceptualizing and building aircraft as soon as possible.

Side note: is it possible to learn in our own aircraft if it is a 2 place.

Mate, go for it! Become the youngest aircraft owner in Australia!

Unfortunately you can't learn to fly in a 19 registered (Amateur built) aircraft. But yes you can learn in your own plane if it is factory built, has dual controls, and has to be maintained during that time by an L2.

• Caution 1

Seriously, check out your scholarship options. I think you have a good chance, RAAus are looking to get more younger people into aviation. You will make your mum proud when you succeed. But one baby step at a time. I have found the most difficult step in aviation is the first one. All the best and keep us up to date with your progress.