Future Sport Pilot!

HJpro7

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately you can't learn to fly in a 19 registered (Amateur built) aircraft. But yes you can learn in your own plane if it is factory built, has dual controls, and has to be maintained during that time by an L2.

Erm ... when did the rules change? You've always been permitted to learn in a plane you built yourself (only the owner/builder(s), no-one else).

The only difficulty in the case of some planes, has been to find an instructor willing to get in it with you. That's mainly been the case with self-designed and built aircraft rather than ones that are kit-built or have been scratch-built to recognised plansets.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Erm ... when did the rules change? You've always been permitted to learn in a plane you built yourself (only the owner/builder(s), no-one else).The only difficulty in the case of some planes, has been to find an instructor willing to get in it with you. That's mainly been the case with self-designed and built aircraft rather than ones that are kit-built or have been scratch-built to recognised plansets.

Ok yep you're right, sorry, my mistake 048_surrender.gif.737a6283dfb1349140cc8b959302f540.gif

• Like 2

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

I see your in Perth - if your keen on a fly sometime keep an eye out on the Perth Pilots Facebook page (become a member if your not already its a good page) as I often(ish) put a post on there when I have a spare seat for someone to come flying (my profile pic here is the same as Facebook.

Have fun

• Winner 2

if you've personally done it and what challenges did you face on construction of parts, etc.

The hardest for me was the Chinese Military visit determining if I was using any processes, designs or materials that conflicted with National interest.

I suggest taking them to dinner and getting them drunk if you find yourself in the same situation during your build.

• Haha 2

No problem - I have children and understand the need to get permission so feel free to discuss with your parents - they are more than welcome to come down and meet me etc. I fly either a Cessna 152, 172 or sometimes a Piper Warrior PA28 - just depends on the day and which aircraft are available from the club.

I mostly fly from Murrayfield near Mandurah but sometimes from Jandakot.

Mum says no, but my dad is coming in October and he might be more optimistic about it :)

Will keep you updated.

PS I live significantly closer to Jandakot (only a 30min) compared to Mandurah (about 1h and a half).

Okay been thinking about scratch-building, so I'm interested in knowing if you've personally done it and what challenges did you face on construction of parts, etc.

Come down to the Serpentine Fly-in on the 24th September and have a wander around the hangars. You'll be able to talk to some builders and get an idea of what's involved in scratch building or building a kit aircraft.

rgmwa

Have a look on the internet. There are plenty of blogs by people documenting their builds, including on this site:

Marty d's CH-701 build log

And a Savannah S in Sweden.

and of course:

The XPB Stage 1 underway.

and

DooMaw - building a STOL

However, don't be in too much of a rush to start ordering sheets of aluminium or plywood. Building takes a lot of time and your engineering studies will keep you very busy for a few years. Do the research and find out as much as possible now, so that when you do start you will have made the right choice of aircraft and have the resources (time and money) to finish it.

Yeah, I've been doing extensive research for the past 2-3 weeks, but it seems as I'm not getting anywhere! I was initially looking at an RV-4 kit but now I'm looking at scratch building a Hummel aircraft (HummelBird or Ultracruiser)

Thanks for resources btw!

Only 2-3 weeks? Have a look on eBay or Amazon and see if you can pick up a copy of `Sportplane Construction Techniques" by Tony Bingelis. He was a very well known builder from a few years ago (more than a few years ago now), but his books are a goldmine of great information, especially for scratchbuilders. That book and others he wrote will give you a good insight into what's involved.

• Agree 1

Just been doing some research on the HummelBird because you can build it for around 10k USD, but I started getting worried when I saw all the accidents that have happened. I wanna be sure what I'm building is safe so can you give me some insight?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I've only ever seen one up close and it later crashed (engine failure, but that can happen to any aircraft). I've read about them and have no reason to think they're less safe that any other homebuilt when they're properly built and maintained. As they are a single seater, you'll be learning to fly in something else anyway, so I'd be focussing on getting your licence or certificate first. If/when you do start, contact SAAA and have them appoint a technical counsellor to look over your shoulder.

• Like 2

So I should get my license before starting to build, because I was thinking otherwise. I was planning to start construction on the plane, so buy plans, tools (dont need big power tools since I got school equipment) and material since its cheaper to start (to my knowledge). Then when I'm done on the plane I can start on my license, which means 6 months of training alongside Uni or work. Then trasition training if required.

Anyway thats how I think I might pan things out as.

Yes, it's been done that way before. Only you can decide which way to go. It comes down to money, time and motivation. You've obviously got the motivation, but I can see time being a problem if you're doing a demanding uni course at the same time, and money is a problem for most of us. Whichever way you go, at least do a trial instruction flight to see how you like it.

ASI, altimeter, magnetic compass and clock (watch will do) as a bare minimum.

However you may want to add a few more like `skid ball', fuel gauge, oil temp and pressure, tacho etc. A radio would be a good idea too..

• Agree 1

Okay I've been doing extensive research on the Hummel Bird. I have divided most of the costs into different batches so I don't end up spending $17,000+.

Please review the spreadsheet below.

Hummel Bird

Also I wanted to ask if hand-propping an engine is safe or not. And if not how would I go about installing an electric starter.

Thanks,