Future Sport Pilot!

HJpro7

It's a small plane first of all. It's all metal, It looks well designed and quite strong. Being small it will be touchy to fly compared with a VP or such, probably more so as a Tailwheel. Weight is always your enemy. A starter, alternator and battery are relatively heavy components. There's also a lot of work in a 1/2 VW, making the project fairly substantial over all. Nev

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm building a tricyle version because its easier to take-off and land, plus I don't need any special training. Is a starter, alternator and battery the only parts required to get a electric startup system. Not intending to build anything else electrical.

Also what do you mean by

There's also a lot of work in a 1/2 VW, making the project fairly substantial over all.

Most people I know who build them, do it themselves as there are many variants. It's much more work than a full 4 cyl thingy, and they are less common than the "normal" motor by a long way.., You might find it underpowered unless you use some serious performance enhancing mods. The Corby Starlet originally powered by a full VW goes very well with the small Jabiru motor. Don't try to do a 2 cyl version of them. They vibrate excessively due cylinder offset. Have a look at the larger KOHLER V twins.. perhaps?..Nev

The Hummelbird is a excellent little machine- but is not a novice aircraft. But having accumulated your cert. hours and xc endorsement you should be well on track to flying one. It will be faster to respond and float longer you then expect.

A sporty little number.

I would forget the 1/2 VW and go a new or rebuilt two stoke- lots more power-plenty in reserve and easy to buy/maintain.

Or use a converted V twin or even a pegasus twin. If you can- electric start is very helpful and much, much safer.

I would recommend getting air time first and then try as many different types as possible to get used to each type and work out what really suits your needs, abilities and finances.

Some love low wing, some love high wing- until you fly them you will not know.

Then decide on buy or build and which type.

Cheers and good luck.

Oh and tell mum and dad to keep you home and spend the holiday money on flying and then a aircraft. USA holidays cost a lot.

Another consideration of vital importance is Girlyfriends. AVOID at all costs !

I met one of those and she messed up my flying plans for nearly three years ! ! ! !

Just Joshin' mate. . .

Good luck with fulfilling your dream. . .

• Haha 2

After more researching, I leaning over towards wood aircraft since there are usually cheaper and easier to work with.

the Kr-2 below.

PS. I have worked with wood for the past 3-4 years at school.