Mungeranie

rhtrudder

anyone flown into mungeranie lately, years ago it wasn't a problem using the strip , rang Phil at he pub to book a couple of rooms and he said to get permission from the station shouldn't be a problem female answers the phone only to be told we don't let anyone use our strip, I don't think we have much of a choice to put down any where else so may have to give it a miss.

• Like 1

on google earth there appears to be 2 airstrips, one beside the birdsville track and the other possibly the property one?

Both belong to the station, and are definitely off bounds, vigorously defended.....

I know of a couple of flyers who landed on the highway, and even then she came driving over immediately to abuse them, thinking that they might have used her airstrip....

• Informative 1

Even though I believe the strips are maintained by the road authorities she still won't let anyone use it them, have landed on the access track to the pub but Phil reckons the brush along the edges might not allow us through, may not be worth the risk as would need fuel to continue on.

Rather sad statement of the way relationships between the stations and the public appear to be.

I'd phone the local Council and ask them if the strip adjacent the road is on road reserve or the station. And the publican could ask the Crown Lands mob to annex sufficient land to put in a strip suitable for the RFDS.

You might find that is precisely what the big strip adjacent the road was put in for.

Kaz

Mungerannie? The station where the owner killed himself in Nov 2013, in his Sav? The one who had the Indian "rottweiler" lawyer wife?

If it's still her, now running Mungerannie - well, that explains a lot. You could get sued just for attempting a landing! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Fatal Crash near Moomba - PPRuNe Forums

I reckon that's still her, I thought she had maybe moved on, you would think when the Birdsville track gets closed because of the wet weather the pub would benefit from incoming air traffic

• Agree 1

The problem is the behaviour of people in the past, and not just at her station. Cattle dogs have been shot, diesel has been stolen from tractors. On one occasion I passed a group of 6 4WDs - about 15 people making a brew of morning tea; they were parked and had a fire going at a tank, after shooing away about 200 cows.

I was doing a windmill run with my kids many years ago and came across a family who had parked their car next to a tank. They were in the tank having a bath with soap and hair shampoo....bubbles everywhere.

I "encouraged" them to exit the tank in the nuddy in front of my kids while I berated them in Rather coarse language. My kids added to their discomfort by laughing and pointing at their nether regions which they were attempting to cover .

I had to empty the tank and refill it because the cattle would not have drunk the tainted water.

Bloody tourerists!

Kaz

• Like 1

I don't think you can compare a few idiots in four wheel drives to most of the decent people that fly, it's a pity we can't land there because it's a great spot, in the middle of no where

Please excuse me RH, I've been outside having a coughing fit.........have a look at some of the stories relating to the Birdsville races.

I was doing a windmill run with my kids many years ago and came across a family who had parked their car next to a tank. They were in the tank having a bath with soap and hair shampoo....bubbles everywhere.I "encouraged" them to exit the tank in the nuddy in front of my kids while I berated them in Rather coarse language. My kids added to their discomfort by laughing and pointing at their nether regions which they were attempting to cover .

I had to empty the tank and refill it because the cattle would not have drunk the tainted water.

Bloody tourerists!

Kaz

At least they didn't shoot holes in the tank

• Like 1

I think we are talking about different stories

I don't; I'm thinking about the "You wouldn't believe what we did in the 206 on the way back from the races" and that's before we get to the aerial pig shooters!

"Mickeys"?? Sorry, you've lost me there. I've heard nearly every slang word around, but "Mickey" isn't one of them. Is that just a fairly local word?

A Mickey is a feral bull too big too steer (castrate) and a bundle of trouble when mustering because they will attack the herd bulls and break up the mob so they can steal some cows and make off bush with them. They are totally sex-crazed and will even rape steers and small heifers in the mob.

They can weigh close to a tonne and are dangerous to horse riders and anyone on foot or motorcycle, charging anything they want to take their aggression out on.

I saw one gallop straight through a Suzuki soft top (minus top) to get at a motor cycle musterer. And I saw another try to climb the yard rails to get a stockman on foot outside.

We ran Shorthorns but a lot of the Mickeys had Santa blood....big heads and bloody big horns.

Kaz

Edit...it was better to turn them into pet meat than risk handling them. We used horses with the aircraft to get the mob together and then tailed with motor cars. The rider would gallop alongside the bull and pop him in the ear hole. The horses were clever and stayed away from the horns.

Edit 2... The Upper Gascoyne went through an 18 year drought which didn't break until 1979. A lot of properties went into idle mode as cattle weren't brining enough to pay for mustering. Cleanskins were everywhere because of this. The drought broke us in 1978 and we sold the place. It then dropped 32" of rain over the next 12 months and the country rebounded amazingly. Too late for us.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

The Upper Gascoyne went through an 18 year drought which didn't break until 1979

Yes, nothing like the droughts in the Gascoyne. My Dad worked on a lot of Gascoyne Stations in the early 1930's (he was actually based at Doolgunna), and he got caught in a big rainfall event from a massive cyclonic event, in early March 1933, that moved through the Fortescue and Gascoyne. Some of the stations recorded totals of 15 inches or more, over 3 to 4 days.

Dad was working somewhere out the back of Three Rivers, fencing, with a couple of other blokes. They had a dray loaded with supplies (fortunately), and three camels.

The rain started bucketing down, and the rivers started to rise (they were in the floodplain), so they made for a nearby windmill and built a platform from collected timber, about 10 feet (3.3M) off the ground, to get out of the floodwaters.

They ended up, stuck up there for 3 weeks! Incredibly, the camels laid down and died, as the water rose! At the end of the three weeks, they had to walk back to the Station! The Station mob thought they'd all drowned!

One of the blokes tried to swim back through the floodwaters with a horse, but he got caught in the heavy flow of one of the rivers, and only just escaped with his life. He lost the horse, "and a good saddle as well", the old man explained!

PASTORAL RAINS. - VALUABLE FALLS RECORDED Wide Area Benefits. - The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 - 1954) - 7 Mar 1933

• Like 1