Flying the Sav

shafs64

Hey guys i am getting back into flying. And the local instructor teachers on a savannah i think it's a S20. So the question what are the aircraft like to fly vices and tips would be a great help.

Regards Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Hey guys i am getting back into flying. And the local instructor teachers on a savannah i think it's a S20. So the question what are the aircraft like to fly vices and tips would be a great help.

Regards Paul

You'll love it. I can't think of any vices. The nose wheel can vibrate a bit after rotation...you have to keep her pointed down the runway on landing like any aircraft...and you might find you have to get used to the visual perspective of that. Personally I find that the cockpit ergonomics are as good as it gets if I compared Thruster, Jab170 and Texan.

I have not flown a jab or thruster but the funny thing is i owned a thruster but never never flew it. i was too heavy so i sold it to a skinny guy. i have flown a texan. sports star and a sling 2 And 172 and a piper warrior and c182 and tecman

i just need to get hours under my belt i can be hot and cold with flying. sling 2 was nice to fly new and shiney 2 big flat screens. downside is you tend to look inside the plane and not out.

Regards Paul

In Mackay Matts Flying has a Sav S. When you book a lesson or if you call him he will give you the pilot notes. There a nice plane to fly so you will enjoy. Cheers

Regards Paul

That would be the Savannah " S ". S20 is a Rans aircraft.

• Like 2

The Sav be it a XL or a S fly exactly the same. They are a no brainer to fly and probably the safest aircraft I have flown. There are no vices at all except when you use full flap on takeoff and using full flap on landing they can get a bit waffly but other than that would be the best aircraft to train on

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I dropped both stages of flap climbing out on about my second solo flight. It stopped going up and started coming down, I pulled one stage back on and away I went. That was the closest it came to biting during my training. There was a cross wind landing that bumped the main spring sideways too, coming in on a engine failure drill that wasn't very pretty either but it didn't bite me then either, such is the nature of the beast.

I love my modified flap bracket positions. I use first stage pretty much all the time for everything now and the second stage is now heaps safer than the full flap position. The new second stage the Sav is no where near as waffly and on takeoff its fabulous...its about as agressive I get now. A full flap landing for me would be if I was trying to get into the shortest paddock ever if I needed to but I would consider it emergency brake territory now

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I love my modified flap bracket positions. I use first stage pretty much all the time for everything now and the second stage is now heaps safer than the full flap position. The new second stage the Sav is no where near as waffly and on takeoff its fabulous...its about as agressive I get now. A full flap landing for me would be if I was trying to get into the shortest paddock ever if I needed to but I would consider it emergency brake territory now

So...you have 4 flap setting? None, 1st, 2nd and full?

Yes Don I made a new design bracket with an extra stage. Full flap is still the same angle but first is a bit less than the original first stage and second stage is just over half way between the original first and full flap positions and of course the full flap position as original. I did up 25 sets and they all went quickly to all over the world. Those who have fitted them and flown with it like it. It gives a better speed range. I have more wanting them so will do another run of them as I sold them all and I dont have a set for Mabel....I thought I had kept a set for her but didnt

• Like 1

Yes Don I made a new design bracket with an extra stage. Full flap is still the same angle but first is a bit less than the original first stage and second stage is just over half way between the original first and full flap positions and of course the full flap position as original. I did up 25 sets and they all went quickly to all over the world. Those who have fitted them and flown with it like it. It gives a better speed range. I have more wanting them so will do another run of them as I sold them all and I dont have a set for Mabel....I thought I had kept a set for her but didnt

I can imagine it would be a big improvement.

The Sav be it a XL or a S fly exactly the same. They are a no brainer to fly and probably the safest aircraft I have flown. There are no vices at all except when you use full flap on takeoff and using full flap on landing they can get a bit waffly but other than that would be the best aircraft to train on

Yup - I only ever use one stage of flap on my (factory-built) Sav S. Would only use full flap landing if I had to get into a really tight paddock in an emergency, and I would never use full flap on takeoff.

The only other thing I really notice (compared to the Gazelle I used to fly anyway) is a bootful of right rudder on takeoff.

I am sure you will really enjoy flying a Sav!

Cheers,

Neil