Another Jabiru owner

Curly1

Hi everyone. I'm a member at Latrobe Valley Sport Aircraft Club and am learning in my Jab160. Latrobe Valley airport has excellent facilities and sees a lot of flying and parachuting. Hope I'll qualify for my RA soon so I can join them!

• Like 2

Welcome Curly1, you'll love flying the J160. When you complete your Certificate there is a few Jabs who fly out of Cobden (Vic). We'd love to see you. I bought my first Jab from Latrobe. Its only a short hop across the Heads then 30 min to Cobden. BBQ lunch provided. There's lots of good info on here - look forward to your inputs. Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome Curly, from yet another happy Jab owner a little to your north in sunny Qld.All the best as you progress towards your RPC. And during your training, don't forget to have fun!

What you have said is the key word for all ! " don't forget to have fun" !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

G'day, I am looking for some feedback as to the wing area of the LSA 55 Jabiru? I cannot find the figures, websites only show wing area of the J160 C and D models being 86.6 sq ft. I understand the J 160 models are vastly improved on the LSA model which I have done some hours in.

I have not flown a J 160 model to date but understand they carry two people with more ease and generally easier to fly.

Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers,

Mark

G'day, I am looking for some feedback as to the wing area of the LSA 55 Jabiru? I cannot find the figures, websites only show wing area of the J160 C and D models being 86.6 sq ft. I understand the J 160 models are vastly improved on the LSA model which I have done some hours in.I have not flown a J 160 model to date but understand they carry two people with more ease and generally easier to fly.

Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark, I had a look in my POH but it doesn't directly refer to what the wing area is, but I've uploaded a doc you might find useful.With the MTOW of 430kg and my particular aircraft weighing in at 248.3 EW, I have a useable weight of 181.7 (pilot, Pax, baggage and fuel). The wing area of the J160's would be significantly higher as indicated by their higher MTOW. The LSA 55's may not be able to carry much, but the fuel burn is between 12-13L/hr. I think you'll find the J160's burn around 18L/hr.

JabiruLSA.pdf

JabiruLSA.pdf

JabiruLSA.pdf

• Agree 1

Hi Mark, I had a look in my POH but it doesn't directly refer to what the wing area is, but I've uploaded a doc you might find useful.With the MTOW of 430kg and my particular aircraft weighing in at 248.3 EW, I have a useable weight of 181.7 (pilot, Pax, baggage and fuel). The wing area of the J160's would be significantly higher as indicated by their higher MTOW. The LSA 55's may not be able to carry much, but the fuel burn is between 12-13L/hr. I think you'll find the J160's burn around 18L/hr.

Thanks for those comments and the pdf to look at, very helpful.

Given the dimensions are bigger on the J 160 it would have the larger wing area and therefore more lift with more t o weight.

The LSA I have been using is very good on fuel, approx. the 12-13 you quoted.

Given the MTOW is higher on the J160 they should carry two adults easier, I have had to watch the fuel amount on board when taking another fully grown adult as I term it.

I keep looking at the adverts for the J 160's as they are becoming more affordable with some low hour ones coming available at times.

Thanks again.

Thanks for those comments and the pdf to look at, very helpful.Given the dimensions are bigger on the J 160 it would have the larger wing area and therefore more lift with more t o weight.

The LSA I have been using is very good on fuel, approx. the 12-13 you quoted.

Given the MTOW is higher on the J160 they should carry two adults easier, I have had to watch the fuel amount on board when taking another fully grown adult as I term it.

I keep looking at the adverts for the J 160's as they are becoming more affordable with some low hour ones coming available at times.

Thanks again.

My thoughts as well. I think a J160 or a J120 will be my next plane for those reasons. My LSA got me into aircraft ownership and she is fun to fly. You still have the same issues as the LSA55 with the J160 if you go with full tanks, but if you go with 60L to 80L you have heaps more options. Your average LSA will be much more affordable than the J160 generally.

I think you will find the LSA and J160 have the same wing span and area. The 160 has a larger fuselage and fuel tanks in the wings. It is a heavier aircraft with a higher wing loading and will never perform as well as the lighter LSA.