staggerbipe

Chasco

Hello all, new to this site, currently finishing sids on my c175. Hoping to be back in the air next year. I have been looking through old photos of Mangalore( don't know what year,maybe1980) and found a picture of Max Kremke STaggerbipe. Did this plane ever fly and what happened to it? Any ideas, thanks, Chasco.

Hello all, new to this site, currently finishing sids on my c175. Hoping to be back in the air next year. I have been looking through old photos of Mangalore( don't know what year,maybe1980) and found a picture of Max Kremke STaggerbipe. Did this plane ever fly and what happened to it? Any ideas, thanks, Chasco.

I flew from Perth Kalgoorlie to mangalore in the first Bae 146 so I think that was 1986.

Hi Chasco, welcome to the forum.

I remember Max Kremke well and I was very taken by the Staggerbipe, back then it was well ahead of its time.

I'm pretty certain it was displayed unfinished at Mangalore in 1984 and the picture and write up about it in Berger-Burr's 'Ultralight and Microlight Aircraft of the World' 2nd Edition (first published 1985), confirms that. In fact the photo of it in onetrack's link in the post above is Rob Fox's photo taken at Mangalore '84 for that publication.

I recall that Max originally had it on a composite landing gear spring that proved too soft and I think it was after that he substituted the CRMO gear legs, so it's quite possible I also saw it at Mangalore '83 on that composite gear.

I was very interested in the Staggerbipe and so kept my ear to the ground about its development, and although I was very involved in the whole ultralight movement until the early 1990s I never heard anything about it being completed or being flown, sadly. That's not to say it didn't happen, information promulgation prior to the internet wasn't so good, especially between WA and the Eastern States.

• Caution 1

Seems like Max Kremke and his company have vanished from the face of the Earth.

There's no ASIC record, either current or non-current, of any company by the name of WAACO - and an Australia-wide search of the name Max Kremke, using phone searches and Matespotter, brings up zero results every time.

That's not to say Max isn't still alive and well in Australia - he may have a silent phone number, and he may just simply be living quietly and anonymously in a retirement village.

Seems like Max Kremke and his company have vanished from the face of the Earth.There's no ASIC record, either current or non-current, of any company by the name of WAACO - and an Australia-wide search of the name Max Kremke, using phone searches and Matespotter, brings up zero results every time.

That's not to say Max isn't still alive and well in Australia - he may have a silent phone number, and he may just simply be living quietly and anonymously in a retirement village.

Well companies were under state law until the 1989 cmwth act came is ... and that was incorporated into state laws until 2001 when the power was referred to the cmwth by all states.

So if the company was WA registered and disappeared before 1989 there would never have been any cmwth records and the really old state registers have not to my knowledge been put online.

• Informative 1

Hello HeadinTC, when I saw it and in the photo it had been finished and painted. Blue with red and white accents. I don't think it had flown but it appeared capable of flight. It had instruments fitted. I am trying to scrounge the photos from the person who has them.(ex) the time in 1986 appears correct. I wasn't the only one there so there must be other pictures somewhere. Chasco.