Non towered question

Say a non towered field has a runway 04/22 with a noise abatement restriction for right circuits only on 04 and left circuits only on 22

ie all curcuits to the south of the field due to a town to the north.. Would you avoid descending on the dead side for a midfield crosswind join for the same reason? Because you would be flying pattern altitude over the town..

What's everyone's opinion? Join on the 45 or long downwind etc?

Join at 45 to the downwind if approaching from the south. If approaching from the north you have to overly the town at circuit height or fly well to the side of the town and join on an extended downwind.

I guess what I'm asking is would you try to avoid flying over the town, or just join how you see fit for for the situation.

It kind of seems pointless to have noise abatement rules if everyone is still decending on the north side to join the circuit. I guess it's more for aircraft doing pattern work, to avoid repetitively overflying the town

I can give you an actual example of the situation you describe.

Atherton has RWY 15/33 with the township on the western side and all circuits to the east. So circuits on 33 are right circuits.

Standard practice is to join upwind on descent then crosswinds exactly as you describe. If entering from the north and where the situation demands a full circuit it is on descent on the western side of the strip.

• 2 weeks later...
Say a non towered field has a runway 04/22 with a noise abatement restriction for right circuits only on 04 and left circuits only on 22ie all curcuits to the south of the field due to a town to the north.. Would you avoid descending on the dead side for a midfield crosswind join for the same reason? Because you would be flying pattern altitude over the town..

What's everyone's opinion? Join on the 45 or long downwind etc?

You could contact the local operator and ask them :)

But generally, noise is on climb, not descent.

• Agree 1

You could contact the local operator and ask them :)But generally, noise is on climb, not descent.

The problem of contacting the operator is that these non towered strips are mostly operated by local councils and the "operator" that you speak to when you go phoning the number in the ERSA etc is a receptionist at the council chambers who doesn't know anything but will put you onto the guy who covers the airport along with everything from garbage collection to overseeing the local swimming pool. Usually with no aviation qualifications.

I've found the only way to get technical answers a lot of the time is to talk to local pilots. Sometimes the refueller is also a pilot so there is a number that you can ring to start the path of enquiry but often they are just the owner of the local roadhouse so then not much help.

Northam? I just come over the town. Low power, on decent....perhaps don't decend too early. (Thick wings on the sportstar allow a fairly steep decent?)

Rotax's with factory muffler/exhaust and low power are quiet as.....99% of the population wouldn't even know you're there.....

From your description you are at boonah 22 and 04 talk to nigel arnot

Was just a hypothetical question :)

I experienced what Jaba-who is talking about not long ago when we flew a sportstar across from Moorabbin to Jandakot... called the number in ERSA to ask if av gas was available at an airfield we were considering as an alternate, girl on the phone was like "what on earth is av gas" haha here I was thinking I had called an airport but it was actually the council chambers.

Was just a hypothetical question :)I experienced what Jaba-who is talking about not long ago when we flew a sportstar across from Moorabbin to Jandakot... called the number in ERSA to ask if av gas was available at an airfield we were considering as an alternate, girl on the phone was like "what on earth is av gas" haha here I was thinking I had called an airport but it was actually the council chambers.

I've found that The AOPA Airfield Directory, or the WA Country Airport Directory give about as much info as is available. Another option is to checkout listings for flying schools and for aero clubs. They may not operate a public access bowser - but may be able to help out in a tight situation. With Local Government - ask for the Works foreman - he usually knows what's happening at the coal face.

I would rarely go anywhere these days without an empty 20L jerrycan stowed in the baggage area as it does give you an option of landing and obtaining a measurable quantity of fuel from wherever you can land close to a town.... with a taxi service that is amenable to carrying fuel.

happy days,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1