[19 Oct 2017] AirVenture Australia (Narromine)

Australian Adventure

Has anyone seen arrival info for those coming by aircraft?Last few years the Website had instructions and maps for Parking etc.

Less than 2 weeks to go and can't see anything yet.

The latest promo sounds more like something you'd read for the Barnum and Bailey Circus coming to town.

There seems to be a push to attract families, maybe they don't want people to fly in?

"There will be a fantastic airshow, more than 40 exhibitors and trade stalls, 55 seminars over three days, food and drink, kids activities including face painting, balloon twisting, and a clown, and lots of things to see and do for the whole family."

• Agree 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest promo sounds more like something you'd read for the Barnum and Bailey Circus coming to town.There seems to be a push to attract families, maybe they don't want people to fly in?

"There will be a fantastic airshow, more than 40 exhibitors and trade stalls, 55 seminars over three days, food and drink, kids activities including face painting, balloon twisting, and a clown, and lots of things to see and do for the whole family."

Arrival info is now up on the Website.

one of the previous complaints was families werent coming so neither did others

These events need people to turn up to make it worthwhile to get exhibitors and food people to arrive

• Agree 2

The latest promo sounds more like something you'd read for the Barnum and Bailey Circus coming to town.There seems to be a push to attract families, maybe they don't want people to fly in?

I don't see anywhere where people flying in are being discouraged. Good on them for making it family friendly, I will be able to make it to this one albeit by road with the family in tow whereas if the family weren't going I would have had to stay home.

The organisers really can't win can they? If they try to encourage people to attend then then people start complaining about them (not) wanting people to fly in. This sport need to realise that unless it is able to bring in new participants it is gone in about 10 years. The demographics are against it and a concerted effort is needed to present the sport to the general public at all events.

Would you prefer they said?:

"Come to Airventure, there will be more grumpy old pilots standing around moaning about CASA in one location than anywhere else in Australia. You can hear them reminisce about how everything was better in the AUF days. It will be hot dry and dusty and shade will be scarce. There will be plenty of space to park your aircraft in the semi deserted parking area..."

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 3
  • More 1

A flyin/airshow is made greater by the roll up a lot of aircraft.

The principle once to encourage this was flyin aircraft had gate fees waived.

With current costings maybe this is no longer viable - but it was always an incentive.

Just my opinion, but as I will not be attending I guess it matters little.

• Informative 1

The organisers really can't win can they? If they try to encourage people to attend then then people start complaining about them (not) wanting people to fly in. This sport need to realise that unless it is able to bring in new participants it is gone in about 10 years. The demographics are against it and a concerted effort is needed to present the sport to the general public at all events.Would you prefer they said?:

"Come to Airventure, there will be more grumpy old pilots standing around moaning about CASA in one location than anywhere else in Australia. You can hear them reminisce about how everything was better in the AUF days. It will be hot dry and dusty and shade will be scarce. There will be plenty of space to park your aircraft in the semi deserted parking area..."

I'm not suggesting that at all, but surely you'd promulgate arrival info earlier than 10 days out? The local families who want to see the clown and balloon twisting show might decide to rock up on the day, but pilots intending to fly in would be planning their arrival weeks before hand.

• Agree 2

I'm not suggesting that at all, but surely you'd promulgate arrival info earlier than 10 days out? The local families who want to see the clown and balloon twisting show might decide to rock up on the day, but pilots intending to fly in would be planning their arrival weeks before hand.

Pesky pilots - they probably think it is about aeroplanes, flying & fellowship - not any more.

• Agree 1

You would probably find it is as simple as waiting for final confirmation on air show timing or waiting until CASA approved the restricted area for said air show or some other little important detail to be finalised so that the info is 100%.

I mean c'mon is 10days not enough time to plan the last part of your flight?

• Agree 1

I just looked at the weather forecast for Thursday and it's just horrid. Friday is not much better. Rain ,possible thunderstorms and strong Northerlies. My only chance to get out of Melbourne is to leave Wednesday. Do I want to sleep in a tent for 3 wet nights? I'll have to look at getting a rain proof propeller.

• Like 1

I just looked at the weather forecast for Thursday and it's just horrid. Friday is not much better. Rain ,possible thunderstorms and strong Northerlies. My only chance to get out of Melbourne is to leave Wednesday. Do I want to sleep in a tent for 3 wet nights? I'll have to look at getting a rain proof propeller.

Don't give up yet, Geoff. BoM forecasts are often dead wrong; I suspect they er on the side of caution when predicting good weather. If we'd relied on them we would have called off our flight west to Coonabarabran today.

As it was, other sources predicted good weather, so we went, and had a good day.

There are lots of other online forecasters who may be more reliable.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

The problem there is you are required to plan your flight based on weather information obtained from ASA, who source it from the BoM...if all goes well, nothing will be said and no one will be the wiser. But if something goes wrong, VFR into IMC, or worse spearing into a mountain side, they won't do you the courtesy of lubricating the pineapple before attempting insertion...

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Quiet 1st day at Narromine, Decent wind blowing but stiil some light birds coming in, small crowds but it is still a working day for many. Not all exhibits set up yet but the ones with all the cool tech gadgets there. Nice bunch of winged toys on display, Tecnam, Sling, Bushcat and a few others. We left around 1.00. Off to the Zoo tomorrow then back for the full day on Saturday.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Quiet 1st day at Narromine, Decent wind blowing but stiil some light birds coming in, small crowds but it is still a working day for many. Not all exhibits set up yet but the ones with all the cool tech gadgets there. Nice bunch of winged toys on display, Tecnam, Sling, Bushcat and a few others. We left around 1.00. Off to the Zoo tomorrow then back for the full day on Saturday.

I hope it is a successful event for all attending.

• Agree 1

Anyone else having trouble booking tickets online? I just attempted to purchase a single adult entry for Saturday and it come up with an error message. Upon checking the trusty AMEX I have been charged $90! While I am keen on going I am not that keen...