A380 Crosswind Landing

w3stie

He's well behind the curve with his rudder movements. Are the 380 rudder servos that slow to respond?

Ahh well, all the tyres are still inflated, so he can still call it a successful landing! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Agree 3

That video bloke puts in some long days. Here's a day full of severely yawed landings (and takeoffs). I like the hares belting across the runway at 2.25! That was definitely a hare-y moment! 007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif

He's well behind the curve with his rudder movements. Are the 380 rudder servos that slow to respond?I think your on the money Onetrack, Pilot seems slow with rudder input, and I'm sure the 380 servos aren't that slow

I think your on the money Onetrack, Pilot seems slow with rudder input, and I'm sure the 380 servos aren't that slow.

But we can only guess what stress the pilot's going through on finals

THAT is BAD. Nev..

As I respect your opinion Nev can you elaborate please ! I'm seeing a lot of over correction and loss of control but at the end of video the trees aren't moving that much ! Seems a little out of control to me or am I being critical ?

• Agree 1

Can't even imagine trying to land a two story plane with a fin that big in a crosswind!

I'm defo qualified to pass judgement on the flight crew, but man I just enjoy watching those massive wings flex. Every time I fly back to the UK the long leg is on a 380, and I'm always amazed just how much those wings rise up as you pound down the tarmac!

They would have been injured if not belted in for sure, and some may have in any case.

Camel, I have a view which I'd be somewhat reluctant to express not knowing what the Company recommended technique is for situations like that, but let's say I'm NOT impressed. I have a few "mates" flying with that airline. Perhaps something will come my way, but I won't be chasing it. Nev

Can't even imagine trying to land a two story plane with a fin that big in a crosswind!I'm defo qualified to pass judgement on the flight crew, but man I just enjoy watching those massive wings flex. Every time I fly back to the UK the long leg is on a 380, and I'm always amazed just how much those wings rise up as you pound down the tarmac!

Yip. Reminds me of the old Dakotas we used to fly in the South African Air Force many years ago. There was a saying that a Dak is the only plane that flaps it`s wings to stay in the air.

Erik in Oz.

I think it's a hoax/fake video.

If you ignore the aircraft for a bit. Look at the runway line

markings.

Looks like they have a huge swerve in them. And the swerve is in the same direction as the apparent swinging of the fuselage.

If you then follow the aircraft and try to see where it is in relation to these wayward lines - it's not that far off staying parallel to the lines. Not exact I grant you but not anywhere near as bad as the video tries to suggest.

I am not a pro at spotting fakes but I think this one is legit, I think it is the heat haze that gives the impression of curved lines. The plane is doing exactly what the rudder is telling it to do.

• Agree 2

I am not a pro at spotting fakes but I think this one is legit, I think it is the heat haze that gives the impression of curved lines. The plane is doing exactly what the rudder is telling it to do.

Well you may be right but I remain unconvinced.

For the following reasons:

1. The author "cargospotter" posted it two days ago on YouTube claiming it is his own and he took the video last week. The temps in Düsseldorf were 9-17 for that entire week with huge huge crosswinds. I would have thought that that would negate " heat haze" formation.

2. And when you look at the video except for the runway taking off to the left (The lines, the rubber tire marks) all are clear as day without haze effect.

The aircraft has no haze effect as it goes through the same part of the airstrip- in fact you can read the writing on the hull and see the smoke from the tires in quite good detail blowing sideways in the wind.

3. While I agree the landing had some side to side movement with that initial awful bounce but the nose wheel actually lands on the centre line and stays on it for the time the centre line is visible. After that he straightens up and then seems to me to be fairly parallel to the lines - which themselves take off at 90 degrees to the right of view.

4. Sure the rudder moves - they always do when you are making corrections for the crosswind and sure the aircraft swings a bit in the appropriate direction.

I'm not disputing it was a real landing with real significant crosswind.

But I have doubts that it was anywhere near as bad as the video attempts to show.

I'd love to see the video with the runway actually straight