What winds to use in flight planning (exam purposes)

I have just returned from 5 weeks o/s and have noted that the BoM are soon removing Area Wind Forecasts and replacing them with Graphical Area Forecast (GAF) on 9th November 2017.

Can I safely assume that for exam purposes after 9/11 that it will be acceptable to CFI's to use the GAF's?

• Caution 1

That is what CASA are saying at their safety forums. They are getting a BOM person to introduce the process at their forums. The old methods will not be available.

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 2

I have just returned from 5 weeks o/s and have noted that the BoM are soon removing Area Wind Forecasts and replacing them with Graphical Area Forecast (GAF) on 9th November 2017.Can I safely assume that for exam purposes after 9/11 that it will be acceptable to CFI's to use the GAF's?

RAAus exams are supplied by the Ops Department. If they are ahead of the game they should offer an amended exam soon for the Nav/met exam.

BOM site user guide for Graphical Area Forecasts

http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/data/education/GAF-user-guide-V1_final_15SEPT2017.pdf

For an easy to use overview for flight plan winds, see Windy TV .com see

Windy as forecasted

zoom in for more detail, all the way to an airfield location. It will also display wind forecasts for specific nominated heights - worth looking at as an added information aid.

Roid Birrell

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GAF’s have been appearing in CPL Exams for about 2 weeks now

No one has reported any in RAA RPL or PPL yet, I have a few members sitting this week and next.

I have added them throughout my pilot practice exams website

There is a great guide on the bom site mentioned above, however it is now version 1.2

You still need to know all the how to decode info as previously on an arfor

The biggest difference is there may be questions which have a flight track across a gpwt chart for you to estimate winds between layers by reading of the gpwt or the table similar to shown in Appendix F on the user guide.

Head to www.bom.gov.au/GAF/index.shtml

Watch the video then download the GAF Used Guide pdf

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...