Gate admission to - Air Venture Australia

Hi all,

I'm on my way to Air Venture early Friday with my pre purchased and printed entry ticket in hand.

There were a few of us heading up, but for various reasons the numbers dropped.

I'm keen to hear if anyone has a comment on the admission cost to the main day.

$30 I was told was a bit too high.

Admission cost to other Air events 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif

Thoughts:please:

Would the admission cost affect turn out..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone who flys in should pay minimal entry, it costs us to fly there and the non flying people who want to see all types of aircraft should pay those fees, it does cost to put airshows on but aviators especially those who fly great distance to get there should be subsidised

cheers Gareth (another RV owner )

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

anyone who flys in should pay minimal entry, it costs us to fly there and the non flying people who want to see all types of aircraft should pay those fees, it does cost to put airshows on but aviators especially those who fly great distance to get there should be subsidisedcheers Gareth (another RV owner )

Well what about aviators that drive a great distance? Does it cost us nothing to get there?

I can understand the desire to have people who flyin pay less (or nil) as that can encourage people to flyin or at least that is the thinking but I can also see the fact that nothing is free these days and costs need to be covered. I think if we enjoy these sort of things then 30 odd dollars is very reasonable.

Nothing is as cheap as it used to be, we drag our caravan around and often camp on the side of the road to save a few dollars, for us with two kids a caravan powered site is over $100 dollars per night these days at most caravan parks. generally they charge an extra 20$ per child so we are lucky just having two! Certainly different to when I was a kid only 20 years ago (yeah yeah some say I am still a kid!)

• Like 1

International

Airventure, Oshkosh in the USA ticket prices ($33 for a single day in USD so allow for conversion)

EAA AirVenture Tickets | EAA AirVenture Oshkosh

Sun'n'Fun Florida ($37 single day for an adult, again in USD)

Admission Rates -

AERO Friedrichshafen (18 Euro for a single day, )

AERO | Tickets online

Australian Airshows

Wings over Illawarra($35 for a day earlybird special)

General Admission - Wings Over Illawarra 2017

Hunter Valley Airshow (link to a google archivearchive, $35 Adult for the day)

Ticket selection for Hunter Valley Airshow 2017: Purchase Tickets

Other "Comparable" Australian Enthusiast events

Summernats, Canberra ($79 Adult for a Saturday pass)

Summernats

Henty Field Day ($22/day for Adults)

Henty Machinery Field Days

Hobart Wooden boat show( free, I think but significantly sponsored by Tourism Tasmania)

Festival Program | Australian Wooden Boat Festival

Events cost money to put on.... Most have to charge something to enable them to operate.... The Narromine prices don't seem out of line with comparable events.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

anyone who flys in should pay minimal entry, it costs us to fly there and the non flying people who want to see all types of aircraft should pay those fees, it does cost to put airshows on but aviators especially those who fly great distance to get there should be subsidisedcheers Gareth (another RV owner )

Good point, Gareth. Those who fly in are contributing to the attractions for visitors. Most proud owners are glad to show off their aircraft, but we also run the risk of people inadvertently damaging our pride and joy when we're not around. I was once lucky enough to prevent an experienced pilot from sitting on my wing. I shudder to think what the general public could do.

• Agree 1

the purpose of a flyin / airshow is to see aeroplanes ................ why discourage anyone flying in ... because of an entry fee ?

arrivals by plane want to pay nothing. The organisers want to charge as best they can. There must be logically a 'top' fee where no one would arrive by plane because it stings the back pocket to much

you need to charge the seething hordes that arrive ....... weighed down by gravity at the earths surface at the gate (not the ones that fly in)

• Agree 1

Hi Nobody, you have quoted the costs for air shows in other countries that are far superior to what we get here in Aus, Avalon being the exception,the shows there are better run, have more static displays and showcase,more industry ,I could go on , we are minnows in the big scheme , Australia used to host better airshows but as with aviation in general its downward, I just want to fly and the odd airshow would be great but the costs associated take the cash away from flying to places I want see, my 2 bobs worth

cheers gareth

• Agree 1

If you pre purchase then can't get there due weather, is there a refund?

A good point. I think a lot of Pilots will wait till the last minute to study the weather and buy tickets on arrival.

Would be good if the Airventure Website made it clear on the situation for pre paid tickets unable to be used due to weather.

Hi Nobody, you have quoted the costs for air shows in other countries that are far superior to what we get here in Aus, Avalon being the exception,the shows there are better run, have more static displays and showcase,more industry ,I could go on , we are minnows in the big scheme , Australia used to host better airshows but as with aviation in general its downward, I just want to fly and the odd airshow would be great but the costs associated take the cash away from flying to places I want see, my 2 bobs worthcheers gareth

The international Air shows are better because they are bigger. They have better support from their pilot populations and better support from their local manufacturers/dealers. People have a good time and return each year so next year the event is better. In Australia every one seems to want to find something to complain about, blow it out of all proportion and discourage events from becoming bigger and better

Roughly, it will cost 50 times more to put on an airshow for 100,000 people as it will for 2,000 and so the entry fees are about the same for each. eg compare Oshkosh vs Wings over illawarra. Purchased at the gate and allowing for currency conversion they are about the same per day...

Would you rather have a free airshow this year and then no airshow next year?(or ever again)

the purpose of a flyin / airshow is to see aeroplanes ................ why discourage anyone flying in ... because of an entry fee ?arrivals by plane want to pay nothing. The organisers want to charge as best they can. There must be logically a 'top' fee where no one would arrive by plane because it stings the back pocket to much

you need to charge the seething hordes that arrive ....... weighed down by gravity at the earths surface at the gate (not the ones that fly in)

I have to disagree. I used to think it was a tad rich to charge pilots but the more I think about it it is the fairest way.

I think their pricing is realistic, if you aren't into air shows it only costs 10$ for the Thursday and then on the other end of the spectrum you can camp underwing for 35$ for 3 days seriously if anyone is complaining about these numbers they mustn't really enjoy catching up with friends at flyins and they certainly haven't done anything else in the real world for a few years because that is pretty good value!

I don't think that is expensive enough to turn people off flying in, you have to look at what you get for your cash. 3 days catching up with others and seeing some nice aeros is surely worth more than less than 2 hrs of Mogas?

• Agree 3

Thanks for the comments guys.

I thought pricing - in particular with camping included - was quite reasonable.

But there was a bit of a drop off in numbers for the one day fly in component and admission.

• Agree 1

Forget airshow pricing. If you fly in to Toowoomba any day you will pay $12.50 to land plus I think the same again per hour parking, Wellcamp I am told is $60 landing fee, Archerfield I couldn't tell you but I bet it is not cheap.

• Informative 1

I don't think $30 is unreasonable for Air Venture. We run 2 sprintcars and we all pay to get in to the venues drivers and crew (and its a lot more that $30 ) some tracks refund one driver and 2 crew - most times we have 3 crew. My argument has always been "would you charge lets say Neil Diamond to attend a venue where he"s entertaining" I don't think so.

The golden goose....... are you kidding?

It nearly folded a months ago due to sponsorship tiff

We have to pay or it wont happen. Even then id have thought is a tight financial deal.

I think is $45 for the 3 days or $30 for one

Everyone seems wants things paid for by someone else.

Yes I think heres more exhibitors this year and had a quick look at setup today its looks very professional and well put together

Weather is the unknowwn for friday

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes I agree re the tiff.....

Now watch me get off topic..087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

If promoters think they can attract a major sponsor then allow the opposition in on a cheap trade site they are kidding themselves.

The major sponsorship opportunity is given to a number of suppliers and one took it up.

An example of sponsorship at this level is, McDonalds Restaurants sponsor the AFL and KFC Restaurants sponsor the cricket etc etc. I know each is blocked completely from the advertising sweep and the site at the non sponsored events.

Events that I promoted years ago saw very strict agreements signed between us and a major soft drink seller. The contract was very clear that food vendors could not sell opposition soft drink and opposition signs must be covered. Food vendors did this as they understand the commercial agreements fully.

An opposition trader trying to get into sponsored event is inappropriate and un professional.

I often see opposition advertising hatched out on television programs on buildings, cars and t shirts etc. preventing free product or brand placement by the advertiser who has not sponsored.

It is the sponsor right and the norm to block opposition advertising if they are a major.

I certainly fully understand a major sponsor not wanting their opposition on site after that sponsor has put up the money to attract visitors etc. it's not restraint of trade but rather a commercial agreement.

Guess my point in stating this is basically the organizers appear to; have not been clear in offering a business sole trade rights from the start, have not fully understood this and have not managed the opposition trade site application correctly.

063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

Make the event bigger by;

Add a swap meet of aircraft parts selling sites at a reasonable price.

Having cheaper trade sites in lower profile positions.

Offering Council and other Airparks or schools free sites to promote their region.

Free club sites to promote to potential members.

Add in RAAF and commercial training and recruitment airline sites for free.

Free sites to all existing advertisers in Sport Pilot.

Free Banner Adds and links to all exhibitors on the Rec Aus site.

Again just a few of my thoughts.

Considering I was asking about admission costs I've certainly got off topic...045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Cheers all see you at Narromine.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Yes I agree re the tiff.....Now watch me get off topic..087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

If promoters think they can attract a major sponsor then allow the opposition in on a cheap trade site they are kidding themselves.

The major sponsorship opportunity is given to a number of suppliers and one took it up.

An example of sponsorship at this level is, McDonalds Restaurants sponsor the AFL and KFC Restaurants sponsor the cricket etc etc. I know each is blocked completely from the advertising sweep and the site at the non sponsored events.

Events that I promoted years ago saw very strict agreements signed between us and a major soft drink seller. The contract was very clear that food vendors could not sell opposition soft drink and opposition signs must be covered. Food vendors did this as they understand the commercial agreements fully.

An opposition trader trying to get into sponsored event is inappropriate and un professional.

I often see opposition advertising hatched out on television programs on buildings, cars and t shirts etc. preventing free product or brand placement by the advertiser who has not sponsored.

It is the sponsor right and the norm to block opposition advertising if they are a major.

I certainly fully understand a major sponsor not wanting their opposition on site after that sponsor has put up the money to attract visitors etc. it's not restraint of trade but rather a commercial agreement.

Guess my point in stating this is basically the organizers appear to; have not been clear in offering a business sole trade rights from the start, have not fully understood this and have not managed the opposition trade site application correctly.

063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

Make the event bigger by;

Add a swap meet of aircraft parts selling sites at a reasonable price.

Having cheaper trade sites in lower profile positions.

Offering Council and other Airparks or schools free sites to promote their region.

Free club sites to promote to potential members.

Add in RAAF and commercial training and recruitment airline sites for free.

Free sites to all existing advertisers in Sport Pilot.

Free Banner Adds and links to all exhibitors on the Rec Aus site.

Again just a few of my thoughts.

Considering I was asking about admission costs I've certainly got off topic...045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Cheers all see you at Narromine.

The comparison of an aviation expo to the football is dumb. It's like suggesting KFC / Coke sponsoring a Food and Wine expo, then banning all other food / beverage vendors from the event. The Sydney Food / Wine expo is sponsored by CitiBank, hence no bans on Food / Wine vendors. Maybe sourcing a non aviation sponsor would've been a better tactic?

• Agree 4
  • Caution 1

The comparison of an aviation expo to the football is dumb. It's like suggesting KFC / Coke sponsoring a Food and Wine expo, then banning all other food / beverage vendors from the event. The Sydney Food / Wine expo is sponsored by CitiBank, hence no bans on Food / Wine vendors. Maybe sourcing a non aviation sponsor would've been a better tactic?

Bernie is off the track, and the information which led to that scenario is no longer on public view; it was very straightforward, was resolved, so no point in dredging it up with examples not based on the facts.

• Caution 1