Can a RAA flying school refuse to private hire a plane to you with a valid

SSCBD

In other words, if you can't afford to own a plane, don't bother learning to fly, at least RAA.

Not at all, particularly if you just want to book a flight locally, ie fit in the the training restraints.

The example which started this thread is by no means the dominant situation, but several people have pointed out the difficult compatibility issue betweeen training, where the daily utilisation may average say 6 hours, but someone wants to hir an aircraft for 3 hours one day, overnight somewhere, and 3 hours on return, or less. If you want to do that you definitely need to join a flying club or syndicate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

In other words, if you can't afford to own a plane, don't bother learning to fly, at least RAA.

Bulldust.

It doesn't matter whether you are RAA or GA you can't expect to be able to hire aircraft everywhere. It is quite simple. There are plenty of options out there, you don't have to buy a plane or even purchase into a syndicate, you can join an active club that has aircraft available or you can find a school that is happy to hire out.

Having said that if you are keen there are plenty of cheap ways to get into aircraft ownership if you are going to be flying regularly albeit obviously forgoing the latest plastic fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Even in the current classifieds there are some very affordable options on offer if you really want to fly and are not fussed about excessive speed. Two I have seen are less than a fishing boat, or a nice motorbike, and both have folding options for small storage. I know if I couldn’t use my ticket from no hire plane I would be looking at these type of options.

• Like 1

That’s why I brought my own

To use it when I wanted it

Sacrificed 20 years of living away from home for 1/2 the year

Owner of the plane should have the right to decide whether to hire or not

• Agree 7

Why doesn't this person simply purchase their own aircraft and hire it out to anyone holding an RPC? They've identified an issue, they could take the initiative, resolve it and make a huge amount of profit along the way!

But what if there were people he didn't want to hire to, surely he would want the right to refuse and choose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Caution 1

My Bird is online with a school at a club, and as an owner I guess it's my right to allow only who I want flying the bird. That said, I don't really restrict. BUT... I am be happier if the person wanting to fly does a check flight with the CFI, with the school, and all is made sure he or she is capable. I think a lot of clubs would like you to be a member first. I certainly request that our CFI makes the call on if the person is capable or not - Check flight etc etc.

• Agree 1

House rules every new pilot has to be checked out before hiring always been the case when took long service leave traveled around Au I got checked at couple of flying schools to allow hiring of there aircraft whilst staying in the area for few weeks