Narromine debarkle,,,,6ft fence !!!!!!!

bull

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[GALLERY=media, 3623]Ross And Lightwing At Heatrow Aug 2013 by bull posted Dec 6, 2015 at 10:32 PM[/GALLERY]Bloody terrible effort by organisers, one sure way to turn people away, have you ever seen a 6 ft fence at a car show???????around the most interesting cars ??

• Agree 4

Why is it that a fence like that would never be tolerated at Oskosh but the Australian public have to put up with this rubbish? Is the behaviour of our public so bad or is it nanny state keeping us "safe"?

Your answer lies in post #5

Do you have a photo?Kaz

Yeah, lets see it, it might be the winner!

nanny state keeping us "safe"?

I just had a quick visit to Oz (and now back again), it is the Nanny State.

You guys don't see the change as much as me as it evolves around you gradually.

• Agree 1

Yeah, lets see it, it might be the winner!

I just had a quick visit to Oz (and now back again), it is the Nanny State.

You guys don't see the change as much as me as it evolves around you gradually.

Not very forthcoming to the promotion of aviation ,,,It,s like , yeah come and see the aircraft learn all about flying and be told what you cant do, as that's all there is now <and look from afar and don't touch ,,,oh don't mind the fence you can still stick your camera through the holes,,,,,,,,[but only till next year as the slight risk that you might drop your camera lense cover and cause a major FOD event has caused us to put up shade cloth covering on the fences next year , but we will have video monitors around the stalls for you to catch all the action, and photos can be purchased at the photo stalls ]

• Informative 1

When Lismore had their last airshow they also for the first time put a fence around the planes and when i was ask i by friends if they could have a close look at my Savannah, I was told I wasn't allowed to enter. Basically it was a case of telling them I was coming through wether i have to jump the fence or pull a panel out but my perfer option was to use the gate.

Anyway I was able to use the gate and after about the 5th time I entered as there seem to be plenty of people wanting to look at the Blue Budgie they stop giving me that look and started smiling as they let me in 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

It was never a problem in past fly ins letting the general public wandering around the planes. The vintage cars and bikes were open to the public.

Apart from that disappointing aspect it was still a great day but I'm hoping to bring it up to the council at the next Airshow, maybe have 1 or 2 Marshall's instead of the fence.

• Like 1

Compare it to the real Oshkosh and the difference is unbelievable.

I went to EAA in 2014 and you walked in and around the aircraft. Sat under the wing of something I forget what, to watch one of the flying displays. Complete immersion in the aviation world.

Here the nanny state assumes everyone will tamper with or break something, or themselves. Assumes no one is capable of self-control.

• Agree 2

Compare it to the real Oshkosh and the difference is unbelievable.I went to EAA in 2014 and you walked in and around the aircraft. Sat under the wing of something I forget what, to watch one of the flying displays. Complete immersion in the aviation world.

Here the nanny state assumes everyone will tamper with or break something, or themselves. Assumes no one is capable of self-control.

They do tamper with, break things, pour coke and put pencils in any opening at.

At a Melbourne Show one year a Nissan dealer came over to our stand and warned us there was a guy backing up to cars and peeling badges off with his finger nails. A few minutes later ha was still sauntering along, but surrounded by a joint task force of General Motors, Nissan, Ford and Mazda personnel; he lost interest in the Show.

I'd suggest the barriers are crowd separators; it's up to the promoter how they design them, but they have to work. I prefer the ones where you can operate a camera without picking up mesh.

• Winner 1

I wonder if it's related to the delay in organising it with the recent issues and they had to find a different Insurance company who requested this?

You need to write to people as well as here Guys, I won't be going next year if it's going to be like that.

Unfortunately this country is full of low life scumbags, and the courts give them a slap on the wrist with a feather. I saw security vision recently of two women leaning over a fence to steal freshly laid turf.

• Agree 1

Unfortunately this country is full of low life scumbags, .

Sure, there are tea leaves everywhere, but the numbers would be far lower inside an event of this ilk that people have paid decent money to enter.

Entrance fees keep scum out generally speaking.

• Agree 1

Jeez Louise, unfortunately political correctness & treating people like idiots is out of control in Australia.

See attached a few pictures from Oshkosh a few months ago, the F15 as well as every other military a/c has no fences, the F22 has a rope, ok plus an armed marine with a rifle.

The crew of the B52 on the wing without dayglo vests or a safety harnesses, and they all survived without falling off, imagine that.

3FB29FBB-1622-4F7E-86B4-BAF2ECB1461F.jpeg.8d947e9628be117f08041ca41a653890.jpeg

46F341D8-6808-4E41-8A88-96D7A6658ECD.jpeg.cac7f4e66ddceffd3125e2229901fd9f.jpeg

6ECDBCE8-DCC7-41EA-8937-161B48F2F0D2.jpeg.225057abd2a2d095956588a9e2e3f11e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

So when will we all stand up and say "enough is enough" and demand that Australia follows New Zealand's lead and separate ourselves from the USA's model of litigation for anything and everything?

It'd be an uphill road to get the legislation through parliament since half the politicians are former lawyers (and thereby benefit from the current position that they introduced) but NZ managed it - it's virtually impossible to sue anyone over there now.

If we kept in mind that one party or another will see the value if enough people lobby. Perhaps we'd just need a Change.org or SumOfUs.org campaign to get things rolling?

Imagine - we could have local speedway events again and get the loonatics off the roads, local fun car rallys, amateur boat races, flyins like 30 years ago, without all the BS ... all the things we used to have before the threat of litigation for a cut finger made the event insurance too expensive and they all closed down because of that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Winner 1

I wonder if it's related to the delay in organising it with the recent issues and they had to find a different Insurance company who requested this?You need to write to people as well as here Guys, I won't be going next year if it's going to be like that.

You wont be alone in not going next year Bex,,,everyone I have spoken too has said the same thing,,,,Natfly is really dead

• Like 1

Seen one airshow, you've seen them all.

I'll wait till someone organises a 'flyin' for pilots and planes.

We can talk to fellow pilots about building and/or flying our planes, not just what colour they come in.

We can discuss the pro's and con's of various propellers without someone in a blinding coloured vest going into conniptions if we touched one.

If the circuit doesn't look too full, we can take up a mate to show him our great machine.

I could go on, but.

• Like 4
  • Agree 13
  • Winner 2

Seen one airshow, you've seen them all.I'll wait till someone organises a 'flyin' for pilots and planes.

We can talk to fellow pilots about building and/or flying our planes, not just what colour they come in.

We can discuss the pro's and con's of various propellers without someone in a blinding coloured vest going into conniptions if we touched one.

If the circuit doesn't look too full, we can take up a mate to show him our great machine.

I could go on, but.

Like Narromine used to be.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

What a bunch of old sooks you are all turning into:amazon:

For sure the big fence is a nuiscance but I would think it would be more to stop entry fee dodgers than the safety aspect after all it was only a two foot plastic fence that separated us from the air show. And yes way too many people are happy to jump a fence to avoid paying a few dollars without realising it only takes away viability from things they enjoy.

As far as fly ins for the sake of a flyin, I am really on the fence with this and I think we all need to look at that realistically. If you want a national (not just a local one but a national event!) ultralight flyin that doesn't incorporate any family friendly activities you will eventually fail For a couple of reasons. Firstly after a year or two people will get sick of flying great distances just to kick the tyres and numbers will dwindle away (maybe we have seen this before but have selective memories?) unless you start to add little things to maintain interest like maybe a landing comp or maybe a neat circuit comp or maybe an air show oh wait, what? Secondly a dedicated no family activity flyin is even more reliant on weather, just looking at this years airventure as an example how many people just on this forum didn't go because of weather? If it had been a flyin flyin then I wouldn't have bundled my family up in the car and gone along with basically all the non flying in people there and with the weather as it was I wouldn't have flown over myself and when you add all the people up who would be in the same boat you really cut into numbers of attendees.

Also, if it is just a flyin with no other events you have even less of a gaurantee of numbers attending so you won't get trade stalls reliably.

Anyway there are probably more things to consider but that is enough to start with. We can't sook about aviation dying and sook about no youngsters taking up flying at the same time as sooking about family friendly activities like airshows!

For sure the fences may be overkill and they certainly aren't at every event but I suspect it had more to do with money than safety and I think that is understandable if we want to make things feasible without bigger charges that would hinder numbers.

I enjoyed my time over there today, my whole family enjoyed their day. Plenty of other folks I talked to enjoyed their time.

• Like 4