Narromine debarkle,,,,6ft fence !!!!!!!

bull

Yes frank, your right mate, Sadly I think natfly/Narromine/air venture what ever they want to call it now is well and truly dead. For the costs involved and the money that members of RAA and others that was wasted on this mismanaged debarkle,,,I could not see the RAAhighracky getting away with the waste of members funds again. And as you and many other members have stated on here and elsewhere,it is not an event on our calenders, more fun and better attractions and people at nearly any small """flyin'' very much like Natfly used to be,,,,,very sad and I think monck and co will have a hard time shaking the **** off from this one...........

I nearly laughed tea over the computer. Monck n Co will issue the glowing positive spin on this before the week is out is my expectation. After all NOTHING in RAAus is less than positive in all aspects.

Let’s face it even the worse than planned financial report this year got a lovely “accounting” spin about without depreciation of all these lovely new assets we built itd be fine ... except of course the budget he’s comparing to and not meeting already had to include the known depreciation of the prior years asset creation.

And the absolute cynic in me is screaming that it’s not a member organisation anymore ... it’s a company and so long as there is still cash in the kitty the directors and management will continue on

• Agree 4

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the absolute cynic in me is screaming that it’s not a member organisation anymore ... it’s a company and so long as there is still cash in the kitty the directors and management will continue on

Sadly not unique to RAA, many clubs and organisations take this approach now, numbers first, members second.

• Agree 2

Most ive heard was good stories about the event. It is what the attendees make it.

Seems on here some who didnt go have issues with a fence that had to be there

Organise your own event without insurance and fences and see how you go. Id be fairly sure RAA or any other organisation wont back it due to liability

They actually didnt arrange or run this one either, but were involved whilst being somewhar protected from liability

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Just on the off chance did anyone who did attend get any photos or video of aircraft and displays. Even if the fence was in the way or not?? It would be good to see some action for those that couldn't attend.

• Agree 4

Most ive heard was good stories about the event. It is what the attendees make it.Seems on here some who didnt go have issues with a fence that had to be there

Organise your own event without insurance and fences and see how you go. Id be fairly sure RAA or any other organisation wont back it due to liability

They actually didnt arrange or run this one either, but were involved whilst being somewhar protected from liability

Well, sorry to burst your bubble mate , but we had an event last easter up here with over 40 aircraft and 120 people for two days without air displays [organised ones] and everybody had a ball and all where fully covered by insurance for 3rd party by the airfields own coverage ,except any ground visitors of which there was quite a few,,, who signed wiavers on entry to state that aviation events carry a certain amount of risk and you enter at your own risk ,with no cover charge ,just a donation tin [of which we received over the costing for the event] and you buy your snags and bread for breaky and pay a nominal amount for dinner, All had a ball and not one incident or fences,we had marshals and common sence rules which everybody understood,,,,,so IT can be done and has been done for many many years before the uni nappy brigade try to change the rules to suit there own agenda.......................]And just as an aside ,can you find or tell me any incident of someone walking into a prop at any flyin event held over the last 20 plus years in Australia???? as this seems to be the greatest fear of the uni brigade,as it seems any sharp edges scare them, might have to ban knives next ah.]

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

flyin,s like you used to see before all this fence bullshit..........[GALLERY=media, 3638]11813407_409076109294610_8630664393935227235_n by bull posted Dec 6, 2015 at 10:36 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 3636]11836630_409076719294549_5912276591192958200_n by bull posted Dec 6, 2015 at 10:36 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 3623]Ross And Lightwing At Heatrow Aug 2013 by bull posted Dec 6, 2015 at 10:32 PM[/GALLERY]

• Agree 1

And another very large event with warbirds choppers and over 300 aircraft with very minimal fenceing and visitors able to walk right up to helicopters jets and every other aircraft and TALK to the pilots and engineers etc,very INCLUSIVE show to further the cause of AVIATION, and has been run for many years without anyone walking into a prop,,!!!!!!! OLD STATION flyin and airshow with roulettes and air displays with aero,s etc

And another airshow without fences more than waist height,with flightline walking allowed and even a runway dinner in the middle of the runway,,,,,did,nt see many nannys there thank god!!!! Whitsunday Airport - 2015 Airshow And have a look at the FOOD that was available and variety available too , makes Narromine look very sad indeed..........................Whitsunday Airport - 2015 Airshow

• Like 1

bull, so far as far as I can see there has been no official explanation for the purpose of the fences, so there is no point manufacturing a safety reason, coming up with a hypothetical prop contact or showing us shows where there weren't six foot fences.

You would be better off contacting Airventure, and finding out the reason for yourself. If it was to ensure entry payments, then maybe there is a better way it could be done next time.

It doesn't seem likely that the fence was used for safety reasons.

• Agree 3

Seems on here some who didnt go have issues with a fence that had to be there

Organise your own event without insurance and fences and see how you go.

Why did the fence "have to be there"?

I have posted for a meter high fence instead with examples of other shows, as have other Members, I have started a Not-Kosh thread exploring alternatives.

That's my de-fence.

• Haha 2

Had to pass through a gate where I assume you were to be assesed as having the skills to be there and avoid moving propellers

bull, so far as far as I can see there has been no official explanation for the purpose of the fences, so there is no point manufacturing a safety reason, coming up with a hypothetical prop contact or showing us shows where there weren't six foot fences.You would be better off contacting Airventure, and finding out the reason for yourself. If it was to ensure entry payments, then maybe there is a better way it could be done next time.

It doesn't seem likely that the fence was used for safety reasons.

From jetjr statement above who was there, sounds like a safety reason to me.................

From jetjr statement above who was there, sounds like a safety reason to me.................

Others have said they were free to walk around aircraft, so it's still just a guessing game.

If the fence was for separation which is normal for safety reasons, it doesn't have to be like the ones described; it's the results which count. For example at a major international aerobatics show at, I think, Ballarat some years ago, the competitors taxied THROUGH the spectator area. As each aircraft taxied out two marshals pulled some orange netting tight, creating a taxy lane in the spectator area and we were able to get within a couple of metres of the aircraft; after it passed the spectator area opened up again. High fences, catch fences are needed when there is a chance of a car, bike or component flying off a track into a crowd, and this is not going to happen at an airshow. The major threat comes from the air, and there are very good protocols for the flying display boundaries in the air, which are way better than a couple of kilometres of fencing.

Separating people from live aircraft where a prop strike might occur or they might be run down by a taxying aircraft is necessary, but separating them from a static display is primarily for the protection of the aircraft from kids, and not only kids, running along the tops of wings, filling fuel tanks with soft drinks etc.

So it's back to "what was the fence for?"

Others have said they were free to walk around aircraft, so it's still just a guessing game.If the fence was for separation which is normal for safety reasons, it doesn't have to be like the ones described; it's the results which count. For example at a major international aerobatics show at, I think, Ballarat some years ago, the competitors taxied THROUGH the spectator area. As each aircraft taxied out two marshals pulled some orange netting tight, creating a taxy lane in the spectator area and we were able to get within a couple of metres of the aircraft; after it passed the spectator area opened up again. High fences, catch fences are needed when there is a chance of a car, bike or component flying off a track into a crowd, and this is not going to happen at an airshow. The major threat comes from the air, and there are very good protocols for the flying display boundaries in the air, which are way better than a couple of kilometres of fencing.

Separating people from live aircraft where a prop strike might occur or they might be run down by a taxying aircraft is necessary, but separating them from a static display is primarily for the protection of the aircraft from kids, and not only kids, running along the tops of wings, filling fuel tanks with soft drinks etc.

So it's back to "what was the fence for?"

AND why it was used as if you look closely at some of the photos, you can see a perfectly good 1 mt high wire fence right behind the monstrosity fence they used,,,,,,SO it comes back to WHY????????????

maybe cheaper?

Fly ins are great and the successful ones outlined appear to be a good thing......so why run this event down and wish for something different?

If you have what you want , just enjoy it. A waiver wont count for anything if someone's remaining family decide to sue. Airfield owners and organisers were highly exposed and thats their choice.

Airventure is a different thing.

I was aware at last event debrief someone, I think CASA or the council, had big issue that separation of PUBLIC and running aircraft was not handled well enough.

I was a paying visitor and had no problem accessing all parked aircraft. Warbirds werent there friday though

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

AND why it was used as if you look closely at some of the photos, you can see a perfectly good 1 mt high wire fence right behind the monstrosity fence they used,,,,,,SO it comes back to WHY????????????

It's even more clear that nobody here knows why so:

If you want to know, go the the Airventure site, find an email or phone address, and then ask them.

• Agree 2

Well have just found out the reason for the fence , and from airventure themselves,and it was because ,,"""" they could not trust pilots and passengers flying in to purchase tickets,and the fence was to ensure compliance """quote'airventure australia''

,absolutely nothing to do with safety or liability,it was a commercial decision and that was all,,money money money ...And my take is people are coming to the airshow to see ""airplanes'' so the more the organisers get the better you would think so why should flyin visitors have to pay full price anyway as they are part of the show attractions you would,nt get many car's at a car show if you charged the owners to put there car on display would you

?? any other ''flyin''I have ever attended including Old Station one of the biggest airshows in Qld did not charge pilots or support crew for entry only a nominated amount to cover the cost of food, this I know as fact as I drove down as support crew for several planes from home with petrol and camping gear and was provided with all areas access and in and out returns from the servo for nothing,,,,,,So I think they have kicked themselves in the arse ,,,,,,And because the numbers where so low anyway I don't think they will be holding another event anyway, as they failed..............................

maybe cheaper?Fly ins are great and the successful ones outlined appear to be a good thing......so why run this event down and wish for something different?

If you have what you want , just enjoy it. A waiver wont count for anything if someone's remaining family decide to sue. Airfield owners and organisers were highly exposed and thats their choice.

I was aware at last event debrief someone, I think CASA or the council, had big issue that separation of PUBLIC and running aircraft was not handled well enough.

I was a paying visitor and had no problem accessing all parked aircraft. Warbirds werent there friday though

Because this event is supposed to be the RAA highlight of the year, the best of the best according to the hype from RAAto highlight the access to AVIATION and to further the interest in membership and pilots,,"""SADLY NOT THE CASE just a money making venture that did,nt make any money but lost money instead and will probably not be held again under the airventure tag . so far from the original reason and being for NATFLY in the first case that it cant be seen,,.....................And this event with or without the big fence runs the same risk as any other flyin,,,and always did so when it was Natfly,so what is the difference,,,well the difference is this event was purely to make money and NOT further the cause of AVIATION as some have said we where against [laugh]

It's even more clear that nobody here knows why so:If you want to know, go the the Airventure site, find an email or phone address, and then ask them.

Just rang and have found out why,see my post Turbo, very sad,,

The fence separated the Bars and drinkers from the big aeroplanes and the airshow. Nothing at all to do with collecting money....I enjoyed the event. The food selection was fantastic, the beer was cold and the coffee hot, what more could one ask for,'cept maybe a better view, we were squished between fence and food with umbrellas and fence to spoil the airshow. Will I go again? probably.

• Like 2

maybe cheaper?Fly ins are great and the successful ones outlined appear to be a good thing......so why run this event down and wish for something different?

And the Whitsunday airshow was just as big and better really then airventure with warbirds and aero,s and the roulettes etc so NO different from airventure Narromine at all ,so where do you see it as different please??

The fence separated the Bars and drinkers from the big aeroplanes and the airshow. Nothing at all to do with collecting money....I enjoyed the event. The food selection was fantastic, the beer was cold and the coffee hot, what more could one ask for,'cept maybe a better view, we were squished between fence and food with umbrellas and fence to spoil the airshow. Will I go again? probably.

Well as to the food I was informed that the prices where over the top and as to separating the drinkers from the big airplanes , why was the fence all the way along the flightline not just at the bar??

Ring Airventure Australia ,07 31889369 and find out for yourself instead of trying to make me look like a liar,,,,which won,t work Geoff as too many people know the reason for the fence and they won,t plug all the holes in their sinking ship mate..............As too going again, maybe but I reckon there won,t be a next one,,,[i could be wrong we will just have to see ah].

• Haha 1