Narromine debarkle,,,,6ft fence !!!!!!!

bull

And another event that has been held for many years, and no one has walked into a prop either...............22780209_10208584755771385_6293236065840307219_n.jpg?oh=7d675bf5b45133824edacca3912bd8bc&oe=5A70A590

This Event is going to be huge next year as Old station which is normally held on this weekend is having a layoff year due to the organisers having other commitments but will be on again in2019, So if you want to see a REAL flyin with great people AND COMMON SENCE RULES without commercial pressure head on up to Thangool you,ll have a ball and PROMOTE AVIATION

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read all the posts here but my take on it is that the fence was to make sure money was not lost. There is no need for a fence, as Old Station demonstrates.

I am a member of Callie Dawson club and missed the last meeting, so the fly in next year is a surprise to me. I can assure everyone it will be. A good fly in and Old Station will not be held next year.

• Like 1

I haven't read all the posts here but my take on it is that the fence was to make sure money was not lost. There is no need for a fence, as Old Station demonstrates.I am a member of Callie Dawson club and missed the last meeting, so the fly in next year is a surprise to me. I can assure everyone it will be. A good fly in and Old Station will not be held next year.

Bull actually contacted Airventure and got the reason - see his post above, so there is no point in furthet speculation.

I haven't read all the posts here but my take on it is that the fence was to make sure money was not lost. There is no need for a fence, as Old Station demonstrates.I am a member of Callie Dawson club and missed the last meeting, so the fly in next year is a surprise to me. I can assure everyone it will be. A good fly in and Old Station will not be held next year.

Yes Yenn you are correct,it was to make money, purely a commercial decision. This is my last post on this thread as the defenders have no real grounds to attack me and the FACT that this thread exists and the FACT that no other thread exists praising this event either on this forum or elsewhere on the internet {nothing on facebook posting how great it was etc etc or anywhere else,,,,,] sort of speaks for itself about what people thought of Airventure Narromine does,nt it !!!!!!!

Awesome weekend for anybody to attend with much for the young and kiddies and us oldies , WELL worth a visit to a real light and ultralight AIRCRAFT event that is only there to promote AVIATION [ps Old station will be up and running again in 2019 and has been cancelled next year because of the family is having other commitments to attend to at that time...........]An awesome airshow run by one family for the promotion of AVIATION................

Well I enjoyed it Bull but I am not going to start another thread on it as there are already 3 threads about it!

At the end of the day maybe they made the wrong call but I certainly don't hold it against them, after all if the sums don't add up at the end of the day it won't be a sustainable event.

Sure they can do better and maybe with a bit of constructive feedback they will improve but having said that I will go again next year even if nothing changes. Having said that I would say they will take suggestions seriously and I would expect the next one to be better.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Well I enjoyed it Bull but I am not going to start another thread on it as there are already 3 threads about it!At the end of the day maybe they made the wrong call but I certainly don't hold it against them, after all if the sums don't add up at the end of the day it won't be a sustainable event.

Sure they can do better and maybe with a bit of constructive feedback they will improve but having said that I will go again next year even if nothing changes. Having said that I would say they will take suggestions seriously and I would expect the next one to be better.

Thanks for the post, and I,m glad you enjoyed it,and I do hope they take in some feedback for next year and change a few things ,,it is just sad now for them to recover as the old saying go,s ,,,once bitten twice shy,,,,

• Like 1

As an underwing camper, I could go to my plane anytime and sit under the wing and watch the airshow from closer and no fence. It was still a bit far away. The rest of the time, the fence did make me go through the pay-point and I guess this was reasonable if not necessary for guys like us here. They started using a stamp for those of us who were going in and out all day.

I'm sorry if they lost money, the infrastructure things were obviously expensive though.

On the airshow day, there were lots of day people there and I reckon they should have made money unless they paid the performers big dollars. Did they?

Personally, I don't like watching low-level aerobatics as I have an aversion to seeing a fatality. Obviously, this makes me in a minority ( except for this forum I hope.)

You really think the "Canberra Aero Club" mentality will take any notice of you Bull, wasting your time. Until a return to a members organisation then Vic & NSW rules - as it was set up to do.

Might be time to find out about Qld having a STATE rules ULTRALIGHT organisation to give us northern members some recognition and maybe have our aircraft state registered and administered by a separate body from RAA,,,,,,something to think about ah........something like ,,,,Qld ultralight and sports aircraft enthusiast general association,,,, ie QUASE GA lol

• Haha 2
  • Winner 2

Thanks for the post, and I,m glad you enjoyed it,and I do hope they take in some feedback for next year and change a few things ,,it is just sad now for them to recover as the old saying go,s ,,,once bitten twice shy,,,,

Well, yes Bull, but, with all due respect I don't think you actually got bitten unless I missed something? Those who attended don't seem to have the same amount of upset about this fence that you have, and almost without exception they seem to have enjoyed the event regardless of that dastardly barrier.

Either way, it's very good you've brought this issue to attention, I'd agree that high fences are totally unfriendly and absolutely not necessary as far as entry aspects are concerned. Honest people like to be shown that they're trusted, and dishonest people won't be stopped by a high barrier unless it extends around the entire airfield with armed guardposts at 50m intervals. Every industry allows for a percentage of lost revenue on a value-judgement basis - there's no point spending $10,000 extra in security to ensure $1,000 more in gate fees, after all ...

Regional flyins are always more relaxed simply because they don't have the larger crowds which result in bigger risks and costs.

It also has to be remembered that these 'national' events are mostly attended by newbies, so the risks are greater. The regional events tend to be only attended by 'old hands' so less supervision can be exercised.

Either way, it's great to see that people are passionate about getting it right!

• Like 1

Well, yes Bull, but, with all due respect I don't think you actually got bitten unless I missed something? Those who attended don't seem to have the same amount of upset about this fence that you have, and almost without exception they seem to have enjoyed the event regardless of that dastardly barrier.Either way, it's very good you've brought this issue to attention, I'd agree that high fences are totally unfriendly and absolutely not necessary as far as entry aspects are concerned. Honest people like to be shown that they're trusted, and dishonest people won't be stopped by a high barrier unless it extends around the entire airfield with armed guardposts at 50m intervals. Every industry allows for a percentage of lost revenue on a value-judgement basis - there's no point spending $10,000 extra in security to ensure $1,000 more in gate fees, after all ...

Regional flyins are always more relaxed simply because they don't have the larger crowds which result in bigger risks and costs.

It also has to be remembered that these 'national' events are mostly attended by newbies, so the risks are greater. The regional events tend to be only attended by 'old hands' so less supervision can be exercised.

Either way, it's great to see that people are passionate about getting it right!

Your correct there mate, and I,m very happy about that too, as I was prepared to drive down , until I was quoted $90 for entry plus $300 plus for fuel and motels etc, and then seen the post on Thursday on facebook about the FENCE so decided to stay home, and have no intention of ever going to Narromine again

• Informative 2

I don't think you have ever been to Old station have you?In Raglan Qld and yes regional but has two major cities just 1 hr drive away ,Gladstone ./Rockhampton and has seen daily intake of punters of over a couple of thousand and has had campers and pilots numbering well up into 1000 or more as well,,,,,so it might be an idea for you to broaden your horizens and attend Old station airshow in 2019 in May 25/26/27 or the Thaangool flyin that is on in May 25/26/27 of next year,might give you a clearer view on the subject cheers.

I don't think you have ever been to Old station have you?

Well actually, yes, I was at the first two of them from about 1989 ... following that I didn't have the opportunity because I went flying commercially for the next 15 years in the Kimberley and Arnhemland. I loved that of course but missed a lot of the social events in the meantime.

Since returning from the north I've had family matters to attend to and been building again, DooMaw - my 'next big thing' bushplane, so I hope to see you all in the north in the next year or so 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

I also still have all the 'patches' and trophy glasses from Mangalores from 1981-1987, Kingaroy Sun-and-funs in the 1980s, and among many others I went to the first and next 3 Inglewood flyins, and then a few of them around 2004 - 2008 so I'm well versed in what makes a flyin tick - or not ...

And - frankly, it's not just fences, it's also the marshals, the towns-peoples' attitude, the ablutions, the food, the campfires and much more ...

• Agree 2

012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Well actually, yes, I was at the first two of them from about 1989 ... following that I didn't have the opportunity because I went flying commercially for the next 15 years in the Kimberley and Arnhemland. I loved that of course but missed a lot of the social events in the meantime.Since returning from the north I've had family matters to attend to and been building again, DooMaw - my 'next big thing' bushplane, so I hope to see you all in the north in the next year or so 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

I also still have all the 'patches' and trophy glasses from Mangalores from 1981-1987, Kingaroy Sun-and-funs in the 1980s, and among many others I went to the first and next 3 Inglewood flyins, and then a few of them around 2004 - 2008 so I'm well versed in what makes a flyin tick - or not ...

And - frankly, it's not just fences, it's also the marshals, the towns-peoples' attitude, the ablutions, the food, the campfires and much more ...

Well said and I retract my assumption that you had not been up here. And I hope to see your bush plane when you finish her. Did you ever fly from Kunanurra or Darwin while you where up there as I have been on many trips out of Darwin to Groote island and further down the gulf at Weipa and sweers island and Kurumba , as I skippered trawlers for many years up there. Also lived in Kunnanara for a couple of years working road construction driving dozers and loaders all about the area from Halls creek to the Tanimi and Broome and Derby,,,,might have flown with you never know ah , cheers

You really think the "Canberra Aero Club" mentality will take any notice of you Bull, wasting your time. Until a return to a members organisation then Vic & NSW rules - as it was set up to do.

There are 1 each from Vic and NSW, three from Qld, and one each from Tas and SA. Hardly NSW and Vic ruling.

• Informative 1

Not so long ago people were complaining that there was no national Fly-In planned.RAA and other bodies got together and risked lots of money to organise one, but people are still dissatisfied.

I think the change of focus of RAA from looking after members to looking after it,s bank account is what has caused most dissatisfaction Yenn.

• Like 1

Well as a member I certainly hope they are looking after the bank accounts! For sure they are there to look after members but if the money isn't managed then it won't matter how well we have been looked after.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 2

our bank account!

Sorry it,s not the members bank account anymore since RAA became a company,,it is the directors bank account to do with what they want and to ensure that they all get pay rises when they feel like it,and pay for all those travel junkets and accomadations at 5 star motels etc etc oh and the company credit cards and company cars oh and almost forgot , and to pay for 6ft fences at airshows etc