Double fatal (GA) near Darwin 23/10/17

EMERGENCY services have confirmed two people have died in a plane crash in Darwin’s rural area.

The aircraft, a Cessna 210, was scheduled to land at Darwin Airport.

The wings have separated from the body of the aircraft.

The wreck is located on Gunn Point Rd, Howard Springs.

Police have identified the bodies and are working on contacting next of kin before providing any further details.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EMERGENCY services have confirmed two people have died in a plane crash in Darwin’s rural area.The aircraft, a Cessna 210, was scheduled to land at Darwin Airport.

The wings have separated from the body of the aircraft.

The wreck is located on Gunn Point Rd, Howard Springs.

Police have identified the bodies and are working on contacting next of kin before providing any further details.

Any ideam of weather conditions? Turbulence?

The facts won't come out for a year or more. If it was an RAAus aircraft the facts may never come out. Discussion about an incident, even without the full facts can be useful. If you don't want to read about any speculation it would be best not to log on to the accident forum.

• Agree 2

The facts won't come out for a year or more. If it was an RAAus aircraft the facts may never come out. Discussion about an incident, even without the full facts can be useful. If you don't want to read about any speculation it would be best not to log on to the accident forum.

No, it’s not that useful. Frankly it’s speculation when there are very few facts. Maybe wait and let the ATSB do their job and learn the actual lessons from what happened instead of all the BS that some clowns come up with on here?

• Agree 2

If we could avoid speculating on the cause of this one until the facts come out, I’m sure at least a couple of members of this forum would appreciate that.Thanks in advance

I respect that this tragedy will upset those who have lost a loved one. May you find strength in dealing with your loss.

But is this not EXACTLY the right time to have a speculate on all possible causes? With respectful discussion this creates an ideal learning opportunity that will hopefully save a life in future.

I, for one, belive that speculation should be encouraged.

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

But is this not EXACTLY the right time to have a speculate on all possible causes? With respectful discussion this creates an ideal learning opportunity that will hopefully save a life in future

What, with precisely zero facts apart from the fact that two fellow pilots are dead? Sounds like a fantastic time to speculate.

• Agree 1

Discussion isn’t the problem, it’s the inevitable baseless speculation that always rears it’s head from people that are as good as guessing.

Facts will come to light, and discussion will be a good thing but until anyone has any remote clue about what happened I was merely requesting future commenters refrain from giving an speculative opinion, that doesn’t help anyone.

What, with precisely zero facts apart from the fact that two fellow pilots are dead? Sounds like a fantastic time to speculate.

I believe it most certainly is...

We know that the wings and fuselage were found 400m apart. This indicates in flight break up. What are the most likey causes of this? Flutter? Excessive G?

Why would this happen?

How many newbies understand flutter? How many you g pilots actually understand the perils of full control deflection outside of white arc? Or the graveyard spiral?

We suspect that there may have been heavy rain. Was it VFR into IMC?

Through dscussion we develop an understanding, and can learn. Waiting for an ATSB report to come out in a year's time.... not nearly as effective.

• Agree 6

Your freaking kidding right? Waiting for actual facts to come out after they have been actually been investigated by professionals is not nearly as effective? Maybe we should just hand the investigation over to you Chris, you can have the answers in an hour without even actually gathering a real piece of factual information. We will gain so much insight from this that will be way more valuable than waiting for a professional to do it properly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Nope. No point in asking me to investigate the accident. I'm not a professional.

But what I am prepared to do is enter into a discussion on what the risks and repercussions are of our chosen activity. I am NOT scared to have a frank discussion about what COULD HAVE (note.. not DID) possibly go wrong.

• Like 1

I’m glad it’s so easy for (edited..Please watch language, abuse etc in posts...

mod)

to say get over it, but for the record there are two families that are now going to be spending a lifetime trying to “get over it”. But hey, as long as you guys can have fun pretending you know everything it’s all good right?

• Helpful 1

Maybe you're missing the point... it's because I DON'T know everything that I learn. And I question. And sometimes, I can offer advice too.

I don't profess to know everything Ian, but I have been flying since before you were born. Let's not make this personal.

I'll still be at the local aeroclub asking “so what do you guys think happened?”

• Agree 3

Maybe your missing the point.... it was literally only a few hours ago two really decent people died, maybe the speculation doesn’t need to start right now especially while there is zero factual information around and people are trying to live with the knowledge that friends are now gone.

• Agree 2

Investigators start with speculation combined with evidence and scenarios to get a result.

I have no issue with it but would tend to avoid speculation of pilot error without facts. A plane crashes with a wing 400 meters away offers reasonable grounds for wing separation speculation.

210 Wing Lower Spar Cap Bulletin Sel-57-01 Revision 1 | Tennessee Aircraft Services, Inc.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Even the other forum isn’t as bad as this, seriously.

To avoid further baseless info. Reports I have received are that although there was weather in the area it was isolated and mostly to the NE. The pilot was deviating around it as would be expected. The C210 has no worse record for separating than any other similar airframe that I’m aware of and is negative G that is the issue.

Condolences to all involved, this being a small industry these events do effect everyone, whether they knew the pilot, flew the aircraft, worked for the company or just remember being a bright faced, enthusiastic new pilot trying to get a start in what is a tough game at times.

• Like 1