Before the days of RC...

dominicm

Yeah, it was loosely based on the Nobler, and incorporated some ideas from later stunt designs like longer moment arm fuselages and aerodynamic balances on the elevators.

Here's another one I had.

Didn't look much like the picture on the box by the time I'd finished with it...

AF_Spitfire.jpg.a8fbe1283edf2a883197f28d5efdd2c5.jpg

George Aldridge, that was the man.

I made numerous models of his "Peacemaker" and flew them for many years for both stunt and combat..

A great design.

Fox 35 Rocket powered, plus a temperamental highly modified Frog 500 (chop yer fingers off job).

Didn't have electric starters back in those days.

Brings back memories. The "half acre" at Subiaco age 10 with my Sabre Trainer, the Causeway, Victoria Park on weekend afternoons.

G'Day Mike, thought you might like this one...

(I colourised this in photoshop, taken from a newspaper clipping)

Dadcolour.jpg.5c30d5740b91705ca9a3569b52ba7e37.jpg

Len Armour 1963.

I also built & flew Nobler and Thunderbird, several combat wings. Started with Aeroflyte Mustang trainer. later moved to radio models then built full size - Corby Starlet, Wag Aero Wagabond

Was member of Mercurians as 14 year old when Len was active. I also remember Mike B. with his single channel radio gear at the University playing fields at Perry Lakes.

I also built & flew Nobler and Thunderbird, several combat wings. Started with Aeroflyte Mustang trainer. later moved to radio models then built full size - Corby Starlet, Wag Aero WagabondWas member of Mercurians as 14 year old when Len was active. I also remember Mike B. with his single channel radio gear at the University playing fields at Perry Lakes.

G'Day Kim, scratching my head trying to think who you are?

I'm Arthur, Len's son, and I was in the Mercurians from about 14 onwards, but maybe a few years after you.

I know dad was in the club when I was still a toddler.

...we had control line. Some still race with control line models today. Quite entertaining to watch. You get the impression that with one false move you could risk decapitation.

Must be really good mates lol [what if one had a bo problem lol

They probably all stunk of methanol and burnt caster oil (like are cars did for a week after going flying) so probably wouldn't have noticed:spot on:

Most Team racers ran diesels so, they all smelt of caster oil, kero and ether, and maybe a little amyl nitrate.

Quite true Arthur. I mainly used a Fox 35 Rocket glow-plug motor for combat, but had an Oliver Tiger Junior diesel in a 1/2A team racer which was a real screamer. Good fun, but they both stunk.

I was asked by the chemist a couple of times what I wanted amyl nitrate for? I found out later that some used a bit in making "poppers", but I was never into the drugs scene.

The "cetane" improver I used was Iso amyl nitrite which is also a vasodilator that will lower your blood pressure dangerously is exposed to enough if it.

It makes high revving diesel model engines run more evenly. I extensively modified a Taipan (Gordon Burford engine) successfully in the late 50's for 1/2 A team racing. It wouldn't run properly without the additive. Nev

• Agree 1

There was nothing better than a high-revving short-stroke motor running a small prop, to make one's middle finger look like the inside of a fishes gills.

Didn't have electric starter back in those days. That's about the same time as I learned "The Hand Jive".