Early Farnborough Air Show

It's been a long time since I've seen so many men wearing suit 'N' tie. . .!Nice to recall the 'Red Pelicans' aerobatic team too.

Fantastic video, back when Britain had an optimistic aircraft industry! Flew on an East African Airways Super (I think) VC10 to Nairobi on honeymoon and many times on the various marks of Trident from Heathrow to Edinburgh. Most unique was the 3 1/2 engined Trident 3, had a booster engine for take off mounted above the centre engine. Interesting aspect, it was the only airliner (that I know of!) that was approved for reverse thrust before touchdown. Made for some fairly solid landings into Edinburgh! Also old enough to remember Red Pelicans (jet provost) Black Arrows (111sqn Hunters) and Blue Diamonds (English Electric Lightning)

It's been a long time since I've seen so many men wearing suit 'N' tie. . .!Nice to recall the 'Red Pelicans' aerobatic team too.

Phil, how do you manage to post such a large video? Anytime I try to post a video it says, file too large! and won’t post.

"Upload a file" has file size limits - usually about 500Kb. To imbed a video from Youtube, Facebook, Vimeo, etc., click on the film icon Video.JPG.5d731f47defcb5eecf8edd56db38833e.JPG in the menu above the Reply panel. This opens a dialog box to enter the URL. That way, the file is not stored on Ian's server, the link takes you to the other site.

Great video Phil .. Lovely to see the Super VC10 coming in to land over the Black Sheds end . I think the other end of the runway was referred to as Laffans Plain . I saw the Red Pelicans perform at The Green in the 70's . Noticed a JP as gate guard there the other day ..

Dave

That close formation take off by the Red Pelicans is not something you see done every day!

Dunno how true this is Mick, but an Ex-RAF mate who occasionally flies into our site, we call him 'Red Seven' ( guess why ? ) told me a story about the Red Pelican team, where, following a display, an enthusiast asked one of the pilots 'Why do you fly so close together when you're taking off ?' . . . the alleged humorous reply was. . .'Because we Can. . .' !

Great video Phil .. Lovely to see the Super VC10 coming in to land over the Black Sheds end . I think the other end of the runway was referred to as Laffans Plain . I saw the Red Pelicans perform at The Green in the 70's . Noticed a JP as gate guard there the other day ..Dave

That poor old JP ! It's seen better days. A lady I know has offered to tidy it up free of charge, if I make all the stickers, and the 'Green' management pay for the paint etc. . .she's been a volunteer worker at Cosford museum for around 25 years, along with her Hubby Wilf, who sadly died a couple of years back. Be nice to see it in replacement 'Fresh' livery. She's still waiting for a reply from HG, I don't mind doing the graphics. . .be an honour. t would have to be done in-stu though, so it would be a spring /summer project.

You mentioned 'The Other Day' are you back in Blighty for a while mate ? . . .have to arrange a pint of Holden's ( Or Banks's ) best if you are. . .!

Fantastic video, back when Britain had an optimistic aircraft industry! Flew on an East African Airways Super (I think) VC10 to Nairobi on honeymoon and many times on the various marks of Trident from Heathrow to Edinburgh. Most unique was the 3 1/2 engined Trident 3, had a booster engine for take off mounted above the centre engine. Interesting aspect, it was the only airliner (that I know of!) that was approved for reverse thrust before touchdown. Made for some fairly solid landings into Edinburgh! Also old enough to remember Red Pelicans (jet provost) Black Arrows (111sqn Hunters) and Blue Diamonds (English Electric Lightning)

Derek,. . .I vaguely recall another team called the 'Yellow Jacks'. . .I'll have to look them up on WikiWorld I guess. . . .

That poor old JP ! It's seen better days. A lady I know has offered to tidy it up free of charge, if I make all the stickers, and the 'Green' management pay for the paint etc. . .she's been a volunteer worker at Cosford museum for around 25 years, along with her Hubby Wilf, who sadly died a couple of years back. Be nice to see it in replacement 'Fresh' livery. She's still waiting for a reply from HG, I don't mind doing the graphics. . .be an honour. t would have to be done in-stu though, so it would be a spring /summer project.You mentioned 'The Other Day' are you back in Blighty for a while mate ? . . .have to arrange a pint of Holden's ( Or Banks's ) best if you are. . .!

I'm back in the Black Country till Sunday when we head off back . I've been back and forth a lot lately due family , so I guess it won't be long before the next trip . I would have loved a pint with you , but alas it will have to wait till next time , but thanks aer kid .

Dave

I'm back in the Black Country till Sunday when we head off back . I've been back and forth a lot lately due family , so I guess it won't be long before the next trip . I would have loved a pint with you , but alas it will have to wait till next time , but thanks aer kid .Dave

SAD FACE. . . . .051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif I HATE drinkin' on meself by me own mate. . . . Next time mate,. . .if the demon Drink or a twattish airframe ain't killed me by then. . . .

Next time you're in country,. . gimme a call. . my details are in the profile mate. . .