Another Icon A5 crash

Like many truckies I have been first on scene at to many accidents.

Each accident is different and each one invokes different responses.

Just last week I was first on scene when a truck hit a train.

Running up from behind the trailers I suddenly realised that I was struggling to walk forward and I was actually saying out loud even though there was no one in earshot "I do not want to do this why is there no-one else here"

So yes I can understand people hanging back but deep down in my case anyway is the overwhelming urge that I may be able to help someone.

What I cannot comprehend is people standing back filming. If you can't help then at least get the Frig out of the way.

In the train Vs Truck, luckily the train hit inches in front of the firewall and no major injuries other than a bruised knee, a cut finger and severe shock.

• Like 2

Like many truckies I have been first on scene at to many accidents.Each accident is different and each one invokes different responses.

Just last week I was first on scene when a truck hit a train.

Running up from behind the trailers I suddenly realised that I was struggling to walk forward and I was actually saying out loud even though there was no one in earshot "I do not want to do this why is there no-one else here"

So yes I can understand people hanging back but deep down in my case anyway is the overwhelming urge that I may be able to help someone.

What I cannot comprehend is people standing back filming. If you can't help then at least get the Frig out of the way.

In the train Vs Truck, luckily the train hit inches in front of the firewall and no major injuries other than a bruised knee, a cut finger and severe shock.

I spent 15 years in road accident rescue and continued to be amazed/ashamed that bystanders could drink booze, smoke beside leaking fuel and then make unwitty comments on the rescue process.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Actually filming is very helpful providing they don't interfere with any subsequent rescue efforts. Plenty of EMS training missions benefit from those that have the presence of mind to record the actual events as they happen. Also remember humans are very voyeuristic creatures, we like to watch, an auto accident on any freeway shows this by the backed up traffic on the other side!!

• Agree 2

I don't blame anyone for not jumping in to save someone, nobody knows how an unexpected accident effects people. I spent 10 yrs in EMS and trust me it's nothing like the wannabe hero's here say!!!

There's a difference between not jumping in and standing there filming it on your phone. I understand some people can't offer assistance but these guys were tools

• 2 years later...

According to a NTSB report, Halladay had amphetamine levels about 10 times therapeutic levels in his blood along with a high level of morphine and an antidepressant that can impair judgment as he performed high-pitch climbs and steep turns, sometimes within 5 feet (1.5 meters) of the water, the report Wednesday said of the Nov. 7, 2017, crash off the coast of Florida. This from a Yahoo Sport report dated 17/4/2020.

• Helpful 1

In a detailed—and long delayed—factual report, the NTSB said this week that baseball star Roy Halladay had been flying steep, low-altitude moderate-G maneuvers before he crashed his Icon A5 into the Gulf of Mexico on Nov. 7, 2017. Halladay was killed in the crash, then the second fatal wreck of an A5. The agency also said a toxicology report revealed a cocktail of drugs in Halladay’s blood, including the sleep aid Zolpidem, amphetamine, morphine and Fluoxetine, an antidepressant. A final probable cause statement awaits further review some 28 months after the crash occurred.

The investigation benefited from the Icon’s onboard data acquisition unit and engine data recorder and from several eyewitness reports collected shortly after the crash occurred. According to the NTSB report, Halladay executed a rapid climbing S-turn from near the surface to 134 feet, according to recorded GPS altitude. The load factor reached 1.94 Gs and a maximum AoA of 7.53 degrees. He followed that with a climbing right turn from 19 to 136 feet to a 1.93 G load factor and 15.73 degree AoA.

The final maneuver before the crash was a climbing turn with load factors between 1 and 2Gs, AoA at 15 degrees and a max bank angle of 50 degrees at a GPS altitude of 358 feet. Although the report details Icon’s guidance on using the aircraft’s angle-of-attack indicator and recommendations for risk management at low altitude, it does not suggest the aircraft stalled. “The airplane came to rest inverted in about 4 feet of water and was oriented on a 192-degree heading … the empennage was separated and displaced forward of the wings. All major airplane components were located at the accident scene. The front fuselage and cockpit were highly fragmented, with pieces scattered within a 300-ft radius of the main wreckage,” the report said.

“Multiple witnesses in the area stated that they saw the airplane flying very low, between 5 and 300 feet over the water as the airplane maneuvered south close to the shoreline. Some witnesses reported that the airplane was making steep turns and high-pitch climbs up to about 500 feet and that the engine sounded normal,” the report said. Consistent with the data trace, witnesses said after entering a steep climb, the airplane descended in a steep nose-down attitude and struck the water about 45 degrees nose-down in a wings-level attitude.

Lacking a probable cause, the NTSB offered evaluation on the presence of drugs in the pilot’s body as causative or related, but merely stated that these drugs may affect motor skills and judgment and may cause psychoactive effects. Ibuprofen was also found in the pilot’s urine. It is not considered an impairing drug.

In a statement to USA Today, Halladay’s widow, Brandy, said, “Yesterday’s NTSB report on Roy’s accident was painful for our family, as it has caused us to relive the worst day of our lives. It has reinforced what I have previously stated, that no one is perfect. Most families struggle in some capacity and ours was no exception. We respectfully ask that you not make assumptions or pass judgment.” Ms. Halladay said, “Rather, we encourage you to hug your loved ones and appreciate having them in your lives. As a family, we ask that you allow Roy to rest in peace.”

I sure do feel for the wife, must be just awful BUT the comment " no one is perfect" doesn't cut it in this case. We all make stupid mistakes and incorrect decisions but this death event was far from just a mistake!

His behaviour was nothing short of wreckless with the resulting outcome, just lucky he didn't take someone innocent with him!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Good value that bloke. (the commentator) One of the best.. When pilots do extreme things with a plane "some" blame the plane.. WHY ? Because anyone can buy it? Looks like a pretty good attempt at building a good thing to me. Perhaps it encourages a person to show off if you are already not risk averse. ALL aeroplanes do that to some extent. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1