The Marine pilot who bought his own fighter jet ...

This is a great story, outlining how a retired U.S. Marine Corp Lt Col pilot, who made a killing in real estate after retirement, set about owning, flying - and saving - a Harrier Jump Jet.

In fact, he got carried away and saved more than one.

Kudos to the man for ensuring that a very unique military aircraft, and an outstanding piece of British aircraft design, remains in flying condition to show the world that this is one aircraft that the Americans could never claim to have invented and perfected - but one that the Americans knew, had outstanding military capabilities, and ended up being one of the very few overseas-designed-and-built items of major military hardware that played a sizeable role in the U.S. military.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Terrific, who would have thought that a Yank would be so enamoured with a Pommie aeroplane. I would hate to think how much he has spent on that venture, but hopefully it will be enough to keep flying. As far as I know they are not used by the British now, but I may be wrong. I did get to watch them at Yeovil I think it was, many years ago.

• Like 1