Brumby 610 Evolution

gkhutton

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How come you would prefer a Brumby over a Savannah or Foxbat? I would have preferred to buy Australian made, but the othet planes have a higher payload at almost 300 kg

Don't think the others are going to answer you, so I'll step in.

Once you become a senior, with a few aches and pains, some difficulty in getting into/out of aircraft, and need seating comfort and cabin space, before worrying about weight - the answer will come to you. I've instructed in all 3, am 77yo, and can say that the Brumby is just a cut above in cabin space and seating comfort. It's also a little faster, but uses a little more runway, tho this shouldn't be a dealbreaker unless you plan to operate off your front path.

happy days,

• Like 3

Don't think the others are going to answer you, so I'll step in.Once you become a senior, with a few aches and pains, some difficulty in getting into/out of aircraft, and need seating comfort and cabin space, before worrying about weight - the answer will come to you. I've instructed in all 3, am 77yo, and can say that the Brumby is just a cut above in cabin space and seating comfort. It's also a little faster, but uses a little more runway, tho this shouldn't be a dealbreaker unless you plan to operate off your front path.

happy days,

Thank you for the reply. A Savannah certainly is no 172, comfortwise.

Ooops. Sorry. I thought I’d replied... Since my initial post last year I’ve ordered a Brumby 610. Waiting (impatiently) for delivery in late-March.

I’ve had access to a 610 through the Cowra aero club and enjoyed developing my piloting skills and local ventures immensely.The flight performance and behaviours of the aircraft - hlghlighed on the manufacturer’s website and numerous other reviews - are spot-on in my still novice flyer’s opinion.

I’ve been looking for a comfortable (high wing) touring aircraft. I’m 6’3” with long leg-length. Finding a LSA cockpit with ease of entry/exit and comfortable seated position for x-cty transits has been a challenge. The 610 ticks the right boxes.

I gained my RPC in a Lightplanes FK9 and continued my skills development in an A22 Foxbat for most of last year. Both great aircraft and I probably have a sentiment bias for the FK9. The Foxbat is an equally great aircraft to fly but I felt less comfortable in the reclined seated position due to my stature. I much perfer the conventional seated position in the Brumby than the sports car position of the Foxbat (for me).

Payload isn’t a major consideration. I’ll be flying solo for a greater amount of time.

The final and very important factor - for me - was supporting Australian design and manufacturing. Although my aircraft is part of of the new generation of Brumby aircraft initially manufactuted in their China-based factory. It remains Australian-designed for Australian conditions, and the final assembly, internal fit out and modifications will be done at their Cowra factory by local employees. As will all after sales requirements. So I feel I’m still contributing to the local economy as best I can.

Cheers, Graeme

• Informative 1

Hello. Sorry for the delayed response. I appreciate your offer. I’ve ordered a 610 since posting my query. Hoping for delivery in late-March. Brumby owners appear to cherish their aircraft. Yours has been the only indication of availability.

I hope you’ve had great times with 610. Where are you based?

Cheers, Graeme

Hi Ralph. Thanks for the prompt. I visited the factory last week to see the initial assembly. Very exciting. Appears to be on-track for a late-March delivery.

I’m thinking of flying the Brumby to WA during the Christmas-New Year period to see my ab initio CFI, test my piloting skills, and show off my shiny LSA. Perhaps I could drop into your aerodrome at some point if you’d like to run a critical eye over her.

Cheers, Graeme

Ooops. Sorry. I thought I’d replied... Since my initial post last year I’ve ordered a Brumby 610. Waiting (impatiently) for delivery in late-March.I’ve had access to a 610 through the Cowra aero club and enjoyed developing my piloting skills and local ventures immensely.The flight performance and behaviours of the aircraft - hlghlighed on the manufacturer’s website and numerous other reviews - are spot-on in my still novice flyer’s opinion.

I’ve been looking for a comfortable (high wing) touring aircraft. I’m 6’3” with long leg-length. Finding a LSA cockpit with ease of entry/exit and comfortable seated position for x-cty transits has been a challenge. The 610 ticks the right boxes.

I gained my RPC in a Lightplanes FK9 and continued my skills development in an A22 Foxbat for most of last year. Both great aircraft and I probably have a sentiment bias for the FK9. The Foxbat is an equally great aircraft to fly but I felt less comfortable in the reclined seated position due to my stature. I much perfer the conventional seated position in the Brumby than the sports car position of the Foxbat (for me).

Payload isn’t a major consideration. I’ll be flying solo for a greater amount of time.

The final and very important factor - for me - was supporting Australian design and manufacturing. Although my aircraft is part of of the new generation of Brumby aircraft initially manufactuted in their China-based factory. It remains Australian-designed for Australian conditions, and the final assembly, internal fit out and modifications will be done at their Cowra factory by local employees. As will all after sales requirements. So I feel I’m still contributing to the local economy as best I can.

Cheers, Graeme

Hi, I'm *really* glad that they have a waiting list for the aircraft. The 230 kg payload was something I could not get past. Bet they are strong aircraft. Lots of people will like the extra room and not need the payload. Foxbat so much better than Eurofox/Savannah from that POV for me.

Hi, I'm *really* glad that they have a waiting list for the aircraft. The 230 kg payload was something I could not get past. Bet they are strong aircraft. Lots of people will like the extra room and not need the payload. Foxbat so much better than Eurofox/Savannah from that POV for me.

Foxbat is a great aircraft

My only complaint was the seating position

Did not like it at all and find it very uncomfortable after a couple of hours for me

• Informative 1

My 610 has a BEW = 365kg Available weight = 235kg

I weigh 73kg, my co-pilot = 50kg so, 112 kgs available for load.

Full fuel = 130L = 95kg, so we can legally carry 17kg bags.

Short distance flights, we take 90L (66kg), so have 46kg available.

Range at 90L = 5 hrs flying = 4hrs + 1 reserve = roughly 200nm and return.

As I've said previously on this forum, pax weights are where the numbers get out of hand. However, if CASA decide to allow a gross weight increase, an extra 50-100kg will make the 610 into a very capable aircraft.

However, as pilots we all understand the relationship between weight of aircraft and its Vs, and the take-off/landing distances required, plus the rate-of-climb effect. You want to load it up - beware, it becomes just a little more exacting to fly, you burn more fuel, and on it goes. For many RAAus aircraft, any increase in weight may push them over the 45KIAS stall speed.

I've done several 5+ hr ferry flights in this 610, and never had a twinge in my back, and my legs, whilst a bit stiff, were usable. Good seating is worth heaps - would you buy an uncomfortable car?

happy days,

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

The 230 kg payload was something I could not get past. .

That's the reason I went with the Foxbat. I'm much heavier than Poteroo (over 100kg's) and need that extra capacity.

Having viewed Poteroo's aircraft in Busselton, there is no doubt it is a super strong aircraft. A "tank" if you like.

As stated, an extra 50-100 kg MTOW would make this aircraft the prime example of the usefulness of what that extra weight allowance could give....

• Helpful 1

• 5 months later...
Ooops. Sorry. I thought I’d replied... Since my initial post last year I’ve ordered a Brumby 610. Waiting (impatiently) for delivery in late-March.I’ve had access to a 610 through the Cowra aero club and enjoyed developing my piloting skills and local ventures immensely.The flight performance and behaviours of the aircraft - hlghlighed on the manufacturer’s website and numerous other reviews - are spot-on in my still novice flyer’s opinion.

Cheers, Graeme

So do you have the Brumby yet or is it still coming,? mine took almost 2 years to get .

Though I am happy with the plane ,you might be advised to be selective with the information the factory might forward.

Will you receive a Chinese build or a cowra unit? What are your build details ?

That's the reason I went with the Foxbat. I'm much heavier than Poteroo (over 100kg's) and need that extra capacity.Having viewed Poteroo's aircraft in Busselton, there is no doubt it is a super strong aircraft. A "tank" if you like.

As stated, an extra 50-100 kg MTOW would make this aircraft the prime example of the usefulness of what that extra weight allowance could give....

I weigh 110 Kg and the Sivana does not have enough headroom. Hence the Foxbat.