rego change

hendonguy

I don't want a jabiru engine anymore

Both 55- and 24- are certified level, and if certified with a Jabiru, that's what you're stuck with.

If you change the engine in a 55-, it would end up as a 19-.

If you change the engine in a 24, you could end up with an E24- or 19-, neither can be used for training.

There may be some Jabiru airframes with Rotax engines going or gone through the certification process, but you would have to talk to RAAus tech.JR-230.jpg.35b5db5628b90c0809031b90e0804383.jpg

JR-230, note E24- rego

Pylon (I prefer to be called Tripod, but different strokes and all that!) : Am I correct in thinking that a JR-230 is a Rotax powered Jab? I always thought that the Jab airframes were pretty good. Coupled with a Rotax engine and you'd have a really noice plane.

BTW, I just tried to go to your Picasa page, but got the dreaded 404

Pylon (I prefer to be called Tripod, but different strokes and all that!) : Am I correct in thinking that a JR-230 is a Rotax powered Jab? I always thought that the Jab airframes were pretty good. Coupled with a Rotax engine and you'd have a really noice plane.BTW, I just tried to go to your Picasa page, but got the dreaded 404

Yeah, I did the test flying of this install.

Being a 230 it flew pretty well, the 100hp ULS give basically all the same numbers,although climb one up was nearly 1500fpm.

You could also climb at 60~70 kts and not overheat, but the main improvement was (scratching my memory now) 115kt cruise at 16~17 litres per hour @ 5000rpm.

As for the picasa page, google changed things a few years ago and I didn't keep up.

Try this link to the archive https://get.google.com/albumarchive/113292981019876413104?source=pwa but not sure if it will work?

• Like 1

Pylon. Iv'e been following your posts for years, even before this site started on another experimental site. I hadn't realised you had built a Corby. Much modified of course, not sure I like the nosewheel, but the fuel in the wings is an improvement over the original design. Does it fly as well as the original design?

Pylon. Iv'e been following your posts for years, even before this site started on another experimental site. I hadn't realised you had built a Corby. Much modified of course, not sure I like the nosewheel, but the fuel in the wings is an improvement over the original design. Does it fly as well as the original design?

I didn't actually build the Corby.

It was built in QLD many years ago and registered as a 95:10, when I checked it, it was 10kg over the limit, so changed it to a 19-.

It's an interesting machine with some interesting mods to get the weight down, but other mods that defeat the purpose.

The wing is built in two piece (which is a Corby mod), and lengthened for a bit more span.

Power is a 50hp Hirth F23, which was capable of flying it, but the prop wasn't really matched to the reduction, hence the work I did in the photos.

It was built with small (12lt each) wing tanks and had another 15lt fibreglass tank between your knees, and a nightmare of pumps and plumbing.

I didn't like the glass tank between my knees (and had a wing tank leak), so ripped open the tanks, moulded new larger (24lt each) ones and fitted to the wings.

The last owner had tried to change a few things in the engine bay, and made a mess of it, so I ended up remaking the firewall.

I managed to do about two hours of flying in it, but then had an engine problem.

Not major, it just lost a bit of power, but with a two stroke I wasn't going to risk it, so have been waiting for a mate to have a look at it.

It flies nicely, but is a little cramped for me at six foot, and just a little tail heavy with my weight.

Will climb at 500fpm, but I've held it back to only 75kts so far.

Other projects have overtaken it, so it's gathering dust (not really, it has a full set of covers!) in the back of my hangar.

1534807648_CorbyView.jpg.617f6aa44681b02d34116526260930b2.jpg

Oh, and it's open cockpit!

Corby_Panel.jpg.2a73041b149915b0a0a411e5bff4fd74.jpg