main wheels alignment

Bruce Tuncks

My tyres wear out too fast. I operate mainly from Gawler, with asphalt taxyways.The wheels were set up with 2 degrees toe-in, because I thought this was right at the time. Now I'm having second thoughts, since the legs are swept forward, maybe I should set it up with toe-OUT?

The tyres actually wear out more on one side, which I think is a sign that they are scrubbing.

Here's a pic of how I measured the alignment...straight bits of timber clamped to the wheels and tape-measures at the wheel and well in front.[ATTACH]52799[/ATTACH]

I have a Jab UL500. I land mostly on grass but my tyres wear evenly. Jabitru manual for the UL sayto set them to 0.

• Helpful 1

Thanks for the comments guys. I will ask the factory but don't expect too much from them.Here's a pic I took today of the tyre which is about to go in the bin. But see how the outside has worn away badly.

The worst wear is where you wouldn't even think the tyre was touching the runway, well this must be wrong and I must be doing something wrong to get this result.

Hi Bruce, looks to me from the piccie, about 1-1.5 deg too much toe & about 8 lbs low. Do both tyres wear the same?

• Informative 1

Thanks guys, After more hard work than I thought, the toe-in is now about 0.25 of a degree ( next to nothing) and I have increased the pressure to 35 psi.

The camber was ok ( a tiny bit where the top of the tyre is further away from the fuse) so I don't think the legs are faulty.

It seemed to track better on the ground, but the proof will only be available from wear over time.

I asked this guy at our gym group who used to be a RAF ground crew for mainly Hawker Hunters many years ago. He said they didn't care about alignment because the tyres were replaced after 2 landings anyway, and the Lightnings after every landing.

• Informative 1

Thanks guys, After more hard work than I thought, the toe-in is now about 0.25 of a degree ( next to nothing) and I have increased the pressure to 35 psi.The camber was ok ( a tiny bit where the top of the tyre is further away from the fuse) so I don't think the legs are faulty.

It seemed to track better on the ground, but the proof will only be available from wear over time.

I asked this guy at our gym group who used to be a RAF ground crew for mainly Hawker Hunters many years ago. He said they didn't care about alignment because the tyres were replaced after 2 landings anyway, and the Lightnings after every landing.

So BT what was the toe before the adjustment ? Cheers

• 4 years later...

hi all 

i know this is an old topic but i want to see who has recently done any work on U/C wheel alignment ??

i have asked jabiru the supported method  pack with washers -test /check & flock final result 

nowhere in the responses did i read how you all made bolts holding axle fit ( 1 response "i just bent the bolts " jabiru suggest -"elongate holes in leg until the bolts slide through the assy " )

i wondered if instead of washer packing & flocking i could get a 3D-printed shim (what material ?) a machined metal shim ?

or use JB -weld liquid steel to flock the washer method instead of resin 

who has any thoughts or used any of suggestions to solve camber problem ??

thanks for your thoughts