New vhf radios

I'm about to give up on my old ( N and P model) Microair 760 radios in by Jab 430 and replace them with something new.

Anybody have any recommendations or "stay away from" advice about new brands?

I have two radios and a 4 place intercom. I would not be interested in going to anything that had less capability than that. So comments about speciifc experience with a dual comm set up would be welcome.

Thanks all.

• Informative 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any radio you can hook a external intercom into so keep your 4 place and just fit a Xcom....far less drama than the ones you have

I must admit my preference is to remove everything to do with the radios and intercom and replace the lot. I'm just so sick of the endless problems.

I have nothing to offer in regard to radio ( I use an Icom A15 handheld mounted in the pod), but I have been really impressed with the performance of my PS Engineering intercom. Works exceptionally well in high noise, also has PTT function if it's extra noisey. Used in conjunction with high noise microphones on my headsets, I can have a conversation at normal levels in an open cockpit at over 70 Kts.

My Xcom I have had in the aircraft for almost 6 years and it has been faultless. I used it for 24/7 in my workshop as a RX radio for 6 months before I put it in the aircraft. I have repaired quite a few airband radios and I can tell you I refuse to work on any Microair now they are just too unstable and have some really weird issues. I have repaired 2 Xcoms although just the same issue. Both were used on antennas that were not tuned correctly so hence the same failure other than that I have not seen any display or microprocessor issues. Icom A200 I have fixed quite a few, most issues are really old age... but parts for them are scarce now. I have worked on quite a few of the A210.....not a fan of them either. Lots of problems that seem no rythme or reason also that stupid ribbon cable to the head is a massive issue for most ham fisted LAME and pilots. MGL have seen a couple but never had to work on any. I would certainly buy another Xcom even though I can get Icoms cheaper. I would like to maybe have a play with the MGL but have not had any chance to as they are not that popular yet

• Agree 1

I’ve emailed MGL about their V6 model but haven’t received a reply.

I am most interested in getting something that has better noise rejection than the Microairs.

I have had them for the whole time (about 10 years) and while I never got the noise issues completely fixed they were bearable. But early this year did a reno on the upholstery that required the dash be pulled out. Since then I have had huge problems with noise, instability in everything - transmit, receive, sidetone. And all new or different from before so all new fixes needing nutting through.

Just figure I can either spend ages retracing and finding new fixes possibly ( and still have 10 year old microairs) or spend some money and fix the problems.

The biggest issue I have with choosing the model is being sure I can link 2 comms and have some form of ability to have four places. As soon as I get confirmation I can do that with either xcom or mgl ( and a wiring diagram) then I’ll get them.

Jabba

You will need to use a 4 place intercom as no radio does that built in. but the output just goes into any radio most likely on the pilot only side of the radio and the audio out of the radio just goes to your 4 place. The 4 place takes care of everything once it gets the input and output. You just need to hook up the PTT from the intercom to the radio. I would have wiring diagram circuits of the Microair and Xcom here if you want them

Thanks.

I'd be interested in the xcom diagram.

I have endless microair diagrams for every combination of single, dual, single with intercom, dual with intercom. I'd be interested in the xcom in a dual set up with intercom and a comm select switch if you have one.

Jaba

These may help.

Also have a look at the MGL V16, only two place intercom though. (Rainier did say that it could be wired for 4 places if you used identical headsets all round)

Mike

Dual v6.txt

Dual v6.txt

Dual V10 diagram 25-May 2010.pdf

Dual v6.txt

Dual v6.txt

Dual v6.txt

Dual v6.txt

I'm about to give up on my old ( N and P model) Microair 760 radios in by Jab 430 and replace them with something new.Anybody have any recommendations or "stay away from" advice about new brands?

I have two radios and a 4 place intercom. I would not be interested in going to anything that had less capability than that. So comments about speciifc experience with a dual comm set up would be welcome.

Thanks all.

What are you going to do with old Microair Radio's ?

I have trig units and recommend them. Look them up on net and down load a copy of the user and install manuals. Wiring diagram legend will some set up and interface options. The user manual will describe the hookup options and show internal adjustments you can make. If you get these you will need to make your wiring harness and the panel heads are remote to the main electronic box that may be a handy. Cheers

And the Trigs fit well in the centre of your handsome panel, Mike.

I think you can get the pair (Radio & Xponder) for about $4.5K these days.

Very tempting.

1899434992_Mikespanelsm.jpg.842a893d4d87f8b5be61445ec7faa910.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I see little danger of anyone on here not wanting to put quality and reliability ahead of price.

Certainly, most would agree the A220 is a great radio.

And yes, responsive support from local suppliers is always important.

Well I hope the 220 is just not a TSO version of the A210. I am sick of them. Pilots and hamfisted LAME keep breaking the front display connection ribbon or even pulling the smd connector off the front panel. They have some nice features and are beautifully made as most things Icom but ergonomicaly the 210 is a POS...the 220 looks to be the same but I havent seen one yet or even seen a price. If it is TSO then that doubles the price