New vhf radios

I have a flight line in my aircraft, it doesn't have a monitor freq and Jabiru put it in because the were having difficulties with the Dynon Skyview and noise with the Microair. I find it hard to read at times and wish I had a monitor frequency.

• Informative 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve basically settled on the MGL V6.

Had quite a lot of emailing with MGL in South Africa. Direct from the horse’s mouth it is the V6 they no longer provide and the V10 is the one they will sell me. But it’s the V6 I want because of the inbuilt 4 place intercom. The V10has gone back to a two place intercom which is no good to me and I am trying to avaoid the stand alone comms panel which I am sure is a contributor to the noise issues I have.

Paradoxically I can still get the V6 from Aircraft Spruce in the USA but not the new V10.

MGL tell me they went away from the four place intercom because of less demand and because they found people were having trouble setting them up. But then on the next email tell me how easy it is to wire them up even with two comms ( which is the absolute minimum I will go with).

Hopefully nothing has changed since I last emailed all the players concerned in late December ( been away on holidays for 3 weeks in Jan so the whole lot was put on the back burner- but time to launch it again).

But anyway that’s where I am at present and I’ll be ordering the V6s out of the states this week unless I hear something that stops me in the mean time.

I have a flight line in my aircraft, it doesn't have a monitor freq and Jabiru put it in because the were having difficulties with the Dynon Skyview and noise with the Microair. I find it hard to read at times and wish I had a monitor frequency.

If you fly in areas with multiple frequencies ( a ctaf, a couple of FIAs in close proximity and fly with a few friends and use 123.45 for air to air comms then even a minotor frequency is not enough)

The other thing that sucks with a single radio with a monitor frequencies is that if a signal is picked up on one frequency it locks on it and blocks the other frequency even if the other frequency is the one you really want to listen to in preference.

I long ago moved to dual comms and wouldn’t get an aircraft with less than two again.