East Sale military airspace

biggles

Airspace advocacy on behalf of members

RAAus is pleased to advise members of two important airspace developments which are key components and successes of RAAus member advocacy via direct submissions and Regional Airspace and Procedures Advisory Committee (RAPAC) to CASA, the Defence Department and the Office of Airspace Regulation.

The first success relates to RAAus pilots and the current limitation on transit through East Sale military managed restricted areas.

In May 2018 a new VFR corridor north of East Sale will be created to allow transit for RAAus members and other airspace users without airways clearance. This will be designated as a new Danger Area (D353) and Class G airspace, effectively allowing transit through the area for RAAus pilots currently unable to access controlled or active restricted airspace.

Further details will be provided closer to the release date expected in May 2018 and communicated through e-news, website and Sport Pilot. RAAus pilots cannot transit East Sale until this new Danger Area is formalised and provided on aeronautical charts.

Well done R AAus ! ..... Bob

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Airspace advocacy on behalf of membersRAAus is pleased to advise members of two important airspace developments which are key components and successes of RAAus member advocacy via direct submissions and Regional Airspace and Procedures Advisory Committee (RAPAC) to CASA, the Defence Department and the Office of Airspace Regulation.

The first success relates to RAAus pilots and the current limitation on transit through East Sale military managed restricted areas.

In May 2018 a new VFR corridor north of East Sale will be created to allow transit for RAAus members and other airspace users without airways clearance. This will be designated as a new Danger Area (D353) and Class G airspace, effectively allowing transit through the area for RAAus pilots currently unable to access controlled or active restricted airspace.

Further details will be provided closer to the release date expected in May 2018 and communicated through e-news, website and Sport Pilot. RAAus pilots cannot transit East Sale until this new Danger Area is formalised and provided on aeronautical charts.

Well done R AAus ! ..... Bob

This is an great success ... btw what is the second success?

Cheers

Vev

Not sure Vev, but maybe this ! ..... Bob

CASA survey action required by 12 January 2018 - MULTICOM

Members are advised CASA have issued a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) MULTICOM frequency use after the recent consultation process in which the majority of respondents indicated the MULTICOM frequency was their preferred option below 5000’ Above Mean Sea Level (AMSL). We are requesting all members complete the survey and provide a response to CASA on this important topic.

The NPRM is worded poorly, making two recommendations in one response. As one of these recommendations was not part of the original consultation process we advise members that RAAus fully supports only one part of this proposal.

CASA have proposed MULTICOM frequency 126.7 is monitored and used in uncontrolled airspace below 5000’ Above Mean Sea Level (AMSL) where there is no discrete frequency or broadcast area. Above 5000’ AMSL the area frequency would be monitored. This proposal is completely acceptable to RAAus.

The other proposal is to increase the size of a CTAF from the current recommended 10 nm to 20 nm. This is unacceptable to RAAus and its members for a variety of reasons, including the quadrupling of area requiring the CTAF frequency to be used, significantly increasing the risk of radio frequency congestion, the unavoidable inclusion of private airstrips or fields which were previously outside the CTAF, which would require aircraft to now carry radio. Further the CAAP recommends inbound traffic make relevant situationally required radio calls relative to the speed and type of operation of the aircraft. Inbound Regular Passenger Transport (RPT) aircraft routinely make calls 30-40 nm outside the CTAF, which should be continued. Accordingly, RAAus strongly objects to the portion of the NPRM to increase the size of CTAFs.

RAAus members are strongly encouraged to complete this survey, however members need to consider the difficulty presented by the NPRM combining these two questions into one response. This requires the respondent to answer no to the MULTICOM part of the proposal to avoid the increase in CTAF component. RAAus therefore recommends the following course of action by all RAAus members.

1. Follow this link CASA MULTICOM NPRM

2. Answer the identification questions as you believe appropriate

3. For the next question you will be asked if you prefer the MULTICOM and CTAF increase. Your initial answer should be “Proposal is NOT acceptable” and in the additional information box below, you should add words to the effect “I only accept the MULTICOM Proposal below 5000 feet AMSL”

4. You will be prompted during the next question to provide your answer as to why the CTAF size increase is not acceptable. RAAus recommend you provide words to the effect “There has been no safety case or risk assessment regarding the proposal to expand a CTAF size to 20 nm. This was not part of the original MULTICOM consultation process. CAAP 166 provides guidance for pilots to make appropriate calls relevant to the aircraft type and speed of operation. Expanding CTAFs to 20 nm will enlarge the potential area requiring calls by a factor of 4, potentially leading to additional congestion in CTAFs.”

5. Complete the remainder of the questions as relevant to your aircraft type and submit

RAAus has raised our concerns about the combination of the two distinct and separate questions with CASA and will continue to inform members about further progress related to MULTICOM changes in the New Year.

Bob, might be good for everyone else transiting new ESL corridors but doesn’t help us poor b@stards at West Sale getting out while they are active.

Guess I’ll just have to keep polishing it on weekdays

God help me if when they ramp up they start activating on weekends

RAA can blow their trumpet all they like but until we get a corridor out it’s no good news for me and the other 15 odd RAA flyers based there

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Bob, might be good for everyone else transiting new ESL corridors but doesn’t help us poor b@stards at West Sale getting out while they are active.Guess I’ll just have to keep polishing it on weekdays

God help me if when they ramp up they start activating on weekends

RAA can blow their trumpet all they like but until we get a corridor out it’s no good news for me and the other 15 odd RAA flyers based there

Alf,

I understand that this is just the first step in freeing up the airspace for all Rec. pilots, to quote the words of FLT.LT. Brown ...... " Hopefully a desired outcome can be reached for all parties in the near future ". May see if I can get hold of Phil Fox tomorrow to clarify that ...... Bob 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

(FLT.LT Brown)....... RA-Aus access into military restricted airspace

Since our first discussion on this issue and by voicing your concerns, communication has really increased on this matter. I am sure Phil Fox will keep you in the loop, but from our end, please be patient and understand that there is a lot of work behind the scenes between RAAF, CASA and RA-Aus. Hopefully a desired outcome can be reached for all parties in the near future.

Alf,I understand that this is just the first step in freeing up the airspace for all Rec. pilots, to quote the words of FLT.LT. Brown ...... " Hopefully a desired outcome can be reached for all parties in the near future ". May see if I can get hold of Phil Fox tomorrow to clarify that ...... Bob 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Since our first discussion on this issue and by voicing your concerns, communication has really increased on this matter. I am sure Phil Fox will keep you in the loop, but from our end, please be patient and understand that there is a lot of work behind the scenes between RAAF, CASA and RA-Aus. Hopefully a desired outcome can be reached for all parties in the near future.

To be honest Bob I am very impressed with FLT. LT Brown as he has a genuine interest in our plight and is a man of his word

Our issue at West Sale is we are within 3nm of ESL extended centreline even though they are at 3000ft when they pass us

Might be looking for some hangar space soon at Bairnsdale, got any ??? Lol

Going slightly off topic but would anyone know if RAAF Sale are flying over the Christmas break? It's a 6 hour round trip for me so don't want to waste my time but I'd like to try and take advantage of the spare time I have and get some aviation photography done.

TIA

Going slightly off topic but would anyone know if RAAF Sale are flying over the Christmas break? It's a 6 hour round trip for me so don't want to waste my time but I'd like to try and take advantage of the spare time I have and get some aviation photography done.TIA

Currently de-activated, but can be activated at any time if required. Check Notams, call Melb. Centre 124.0, or call East Sale tower on 118.3 . Not sure when due to be re-activated, but seem to recall mid January 2018..... Bob

Thanks Bob, much appreciated.Where can I find Australian notams?

You can access it through one of the EFB's, as well as registering online at 'NAIPS' ( recommended ),then folowing the prompts. Then select 'AREA' on left sidebar, eg '30' for Victoria displays all you need to know. NAIPS registration used to be a bit frustrating, but it's many years ago I did that. Perseverance ! ...... Bob

Going slightly off topic but would anyone know if RAAF Sale are flying over the Christmas break? It's a 6 hour round trip for me so don't want to waste my time but I'd like to try and take advantage of the spare time I have and get some aviation photography done.TIA

antoric69

They are deactivated until 14th January 2018

So fill your boots lad

You can fly right over the base if you like just don’t touch the rubber on the black stuff

CTAF is 118.300 and Mel Ctr frequency for the area is 124.000 until your past Latrine Valley (Latrobe Valley) then it goes to 120.00

BTW enjoy the scenery it’s pretty special the Gippsland area and Lakes system

If your going the coast just watch out for the Esso Wokka Wokka thump thumps between Golden Beach and halfway to Seaspray, they will be monitoring 118.300 anyway

Cheers Alf

• Agree 1

If your going the coast just watch out for the Esso Wokka Wokka thump thumps between Golden Beach and halfway to Seaspray, they will be monitoring 118.300 anyway

The Wokka Wokkas will also be monitoring (and transmitting on) 129.75 as they transit the coast.

The Wokka Wokkas will also be monitoring (and transmitting on) 129.75 as they transit the coast.

Yes that is true 100% Graeme but use that for offshore operations and heliport

Have spoken to the heliport on odd occasions whilst flying past as I knew most of the people who worked there when I was in Bass Srtait on the rigs

Haven’t called them up in ages as I haven’t been offshore since 2010

• 4 months later...
Alf,

I understand that this is just the first step in freeing up the airspace for all Rec. pilots, to quote the words of FLT.LT. Brown ...... " Hopefully a desired outcome can be reached for all parties in the near future ". May see if I can get hold of Phil Fox tomorrow to clarify that ...... Bob 026_cheers.gif.65c96b31c66a3eb21be04c979f7f1b85.gif

So I see that the 24th May Airservices maps now show the VFR transit corridor D353.  It’s a welcome addition for this sightseeing RA-Aus aviator, but I would really like to see the coastal corridor opened up too!

I’m sure the West Sale RA-Aus aviators are especially keen for a similar solution to their airspace issues too

Any updates from the military?

Similarly, I’ve heard no updates from RA-Aus regarding the CTA endorsement either!

So I see that the 24th May Airservices maps now show the VFR transit corridor D353.  It’s a welcome addition for this sightseeing RA-Aus aviator, but I would really like to see the coastal corridor opened up too!I’m sure the West Sale RA-Aus aviators are especially keen for a similar solution to their airspace issues too

Any updates from the military?

Similarly, I’ve heard no updates from RA-Aus regarding the CTA endorsement either!

Yesdsam

I am keen for us to be able to get out of West Sale using VFR route two if it ever eventuates

OK so D353 VFR transit corridor across the East Sale military airspace is now available.  It will be interesting to hear from RA-Aus pilots if this is working as planned.

As for RA-Aus getting overall CTA endorsement/transit/access, I got a response from RA-Aus 2 days ago... no surprises.... All we get is the sound of (bureaucratic) crickets from CASA!!  How frustrating...!

OK so D353 VFR transit corridor across the East Sale military airspace is now available.  It will be interesting to hear from RA-Aus pilots if this is working as planned.As for RA-Aus getting overall CTA endorsement/transit/access, I got a response from RA-Aus 2 days ago... no surprises.... All we get is the sound of (bureaucratic) crickets from CASA!!  How frustrating...!

Recreational Aviation Australia in their magazine “Sport Pilot” (May 2018 Vol 81 (5)) says

“ NEW EAST SALE CORRIDOR (page 13). Pilots intending to transit East Sale have a new track to follow.

The May 28 revision of Airservices publications will see the creation of a new lane of access through the East Sale active restricted area. This will be noted as Danger Area D353. RAAus says pilots intending to take advantage of the changes must read ERSA and associated AIP products before accessing the corridor to ensure they are conversant with the requirements associated with the danger area and surrounding airspace. Where any doubt exists, pilots are encouraged to contact the airspace administrator via the contact numbers provided in ERSA.

Pilots using the corridor should monitor East Sale approach on frequency 123.3 Pilots should also have the frequency on standby in the event of an emergency which might require them to request access to airspace beyond the limits of the corridor. Pilots should also monitor 126.0 (LTV CTAF)

Oops, yes I’m commenting 4 days ahead of the D353 opening date... still keen to hear from aviators using that corridor when it is available☺️

Oops, yes I’m commenting 4 days ahead of the D353 opening date... still keen to hear from aviators using that corridor when it is available☺️

Yes , a little confusing especially when it appears in ERSA and on VNC . Guess there may be a few breaches ! . The Coastal route should follow in a few months . Talks continuing on access for West Sale RPC pilots . Military Traffic will ramp up in West Sale from next year and even the RAAF are unsure how they will manage that ...... Bob 

OK, so here is today's NOTAM info on ESX  As I read it, how can both R358A 
(with its current boundaries) and D353 be active at the same times? 
R358A shows SFC to FL450 which would necessarily include SFC to 1500FT AMSL!  
Wouldn't that logically make D353 inactive along its corridor?
When I use OzRunways to plot a flight plan through the corridor at 1500ft, It still shows I'm 
attempting to transit R353A (RA1)
Surely to be clearer R358A will need to be split as perhaps R358F and R358G to designate areas 
north and south of this corridor to avoid confusion?
I'd be happy for anybody to enlighten me on this....!
 SFC TO 1500FT AMSL
 FROM 05 300807 TO 06 010400
    1805300807 TO 1805300900
    1805302200 TO 1805311200
    1805312200 TO 1806010400

C268/18 REVIEW C264/18
 R358A ACT (RA1)
 SFC TO FL450
 FROM 05 300807 TO 06 010400
    1805300807 TO 1805300900
    1805302200 TO 1805311200
    1805312200 TO 1806010400

G'day dsam,

I'm flying through it tomorrow and was looking at it on the chart, which shows D353  1500/SFC and R358A as SFC/FL45 ... It makes sense to me from what I can see. If you split the zone how would you manage the air space over the top of D353 >1500' would that be R358F or G? Why not just leave it as R358A?

Unless I'm missing something, but I feel ok with the way this is presented?

Cheers

Vev