East Sale military airspace

biggles

Hi Vev,

I'm just a recreational pilot, not an airspace designer, but I would have thought the best implementation would have been:

R358A should now start from 1500FT to FL450 (ie not from SFC)

R358F would be SFC to 1500FT (south of VFR corridor)

R358G would be SFC to 1500FT (north of VFR corridor)

That would resolve any confusion in the NOTAMS, - and for the military pilots hammering along at low level everywhere else

As it reads currently, you would need ATC clearance to transit through RA1 along that corridor due to R358A extending to the surface.  As an RA-Aus pilot, I am not permitted to request such a clearance.

G'day dsam,I'm flying through it tomorrow and was looking at it on the chart, which shows D353  1500/SFC and R358A as SFC/FL45 ... It makes sense to me from what I can see. If you split the zone how would you manage the air space over the top of D353 >1500' would that be R358F or G? Why not just leave it as R358A?

Unless I'm missing something, but I feel ok with the way this is presented?

Cheers

Vev

If in the future they open up other corridors to West Sale (Princes Route) and the Coastal Route (as has been suggested earlier in this thread), there would be further segments involved (H I J...) or as a simpler alternative, the military can simply keep above 1500 when outside their Military CTR.  That shouldn't be too hard for their high performance aircraft.

Then again, CASA could hurry up and "get on with it" and grant transit rights to RA-Aus RPC pilots along the designated VFR corridors used by RPL flyers now.

Personally if RAAus could get a VFR lane on the outer edge of the airspace at Gold Coast & Coffs to avoid tiger country I’d be a happy camper, this would negate any interest for me to gain a CTA rating & class 2 medical, thus avoiding any contact with CASA.

Is the mandatory radio transmission before transiting the corridor 126.7 ?

I've had some prompt and helpful responses from both RA-Aus, and the military people of East Sale.  So yes, from the "RAAF BASE EAST SALE

LOCAL AIRSPACE PAMPHLET", "Aircraft must monitor 126.7MHz and broadcast at Cowwarr and Lindenow South compulsory en-route reporting points"

So it seems as a pilot with an RPC, I can transit D353 at 1500ft despite R358A remaining active SFC to FL450, provided I report at the reporting points (as per the .pdf)

W1125274.pdf

W1125274.pdf

W1125274.pdf

Is the mandatory radio transmission before transiting the corridor 126.7 ?

Ash , check' East Sale ' in ERSA ..... Bob 

MILITARY AIRSPACE ACCESS PROCEDURES.

4. IFR ACFT.

a. ACFT may plan a preferred route and level in accordance with AIP flight planning.

5. VFR ACFT.

1. When R358 is active ACFT are to contact ACD on 133.6 MHz prior to the boundary for

AWY clearance. Clearance is not required for transit through R358A via D353.

2. D353 (VFR Transit Lane). Lateral limits approximately 1NM either side of the RAILWAY

line Cowwarr - Heyfield - Maffra - Stratford - Lindenow South.

Vertical limit SFC - 1,500FT AMSL. Active by NOTAM. No air traffic services provided. Keep right of the railway/disused railway line. ACFT must monitor 126.7 and broadcast at COWWARR and LINDENOW SOUTH compulsory en route reporting points.

3. Princes Route expect a clearance NOT ABV 1,500FT.

4. Coastal Route expect a clearance at 1,500FT due to helicopter OPS to and FM

Longford.

5. Other levels may be AVBL upon request. 

• 2 weeks later...
OK so D353 VFR transit corridor across the East Sale military airspace is now available.  It will be interesting to hear from RA-Aus pilots if this is working as planned.

Today the sun was finally shining and the wind a gentle Nor-easter, so time to check out the new 'East Sale airspace VFR Transit Lane ( Delta 353' )  Transitted both ways at 1500' for better visibility, safety etc. etc. Living in the surrounding area ,and being familiar with the roads , towns and water storages, I tried navigating using the VNC solely, but found it easy to stray off course and, with oncoming aircraft , potentially at the same altitude and with a closing speed of maybe 200 Kts ........well. So, as the  corridor is only about 2 nm wide it is important to give full attention to maintaining that lateral separation, and keeping a proper lookout. Ozrunways certainly helped as the pics indicate. With hindsight, it may have been better to have had Westbound traffic AT 1500' and Eastbound traffic AT 1000,' giving better vertical separation. I am not implying that the route is unsafe, it isn't, providing everybody does the right thing. It is certainly a lot safer than transitting over that tiger country to North.The entire area is flat farming country with one small area of plantation timber ( last pic ) which should be easily avoided from 1500' if the engine fails. In summary, a positive move by RAAus and East Sale management to improve the safety of all VFR pilots ......Bob 

.   . image.thumb.png.2c4979b08ed9047b7660f98d3cca9055.png

image.thumb.jpeg.bf248c42953caf31eea761e0b45ade1f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.23f106140e3724c7f2870e018d0ac5f4.jpeg

o

image.thumb.png.8d25a0f8a1ba3bf9d67f194dd2e9ed37.png

image.thumb.jpeg.72010d23a5a332782478805a6a285b7e.jpeg

Hey, thanks Bob!  Very helpful. Yes it is a narrow track from the looks of it. I’ve set up my OzRunways with some aligning user waypoints. I shall export this flightplan to my Dynon Skyview & the autopilot will keep me on track accurately, leaving my eyes scanning for other traffic. Thanks again!

02FFEDEA-A73F-43EA-8128-7475228CBD1D.thumb.png.f50154d740077178b88b7744dd4e4c06.png

• 2 weeks later...

I’m happy for all you blokes now having access through YESL airspace while we at West Sale in the same circle of airspace are still grounded weekdays unable to get out.

Filled a survey in about 3 months ago on how we plan to fly if granted access and to date up until yesterday have heard zip from RAA about the survey.

Yep email sent to RAA day before yesterday thanking them for the effort opening D353 for everyone.

Now what about us?

Got a reply with no real information on proceedings.

So sent an email to a great ATC RAAF bloke who came to our club meeting a few times asking if talks were still going on.

Got a nice reply saying they haven’t forgotten us and are trying to work out how we can gain access through the new Princes Route (ex VFR Route 2)

RAAF is ramping up training at the CFS at ESL in the near future as Tamworth is moving down here.

West Sale Airport has funding for a 400m extension of runway 09-27 and I’m betting it’s not for GA & RAA aircraft

I can’t see the issue with Princes Route being made in to a D.... lane either as GA have always had access to it in the past and still do now.

I hear it is because YWSL lies within a 3 nm boundary from YESL’s runway 27 extended centreline and 09’s ILS that makes it an issue.

Funny thing about that is on the ILS to 09 they are at 3000ft on the glidescope and we lie 1.87 nm to the south of it.

Anyway the old saying goes “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” and this squeaky wheel is starting to get noisy.

Next time my membership is due and aircraft registration I’m going to ask the RAA for a pro rata fee like 2/7ths of the current fees as we only get to fly on the weekends now while all you lucky people out there have 7 day a week access.

I think it’s a fair call

Cheers you lucky buggers

Alf

• Informative 1