RV7 Accident NZ

I am advised that the Accident RV7 had been covered in a shrink wrap type coating instead of being painted. I had not heard of this technique but is supposed to be popular??Appears this shrink wrap may have lifted and caused a control surface flutter leading to the inflight breakup?

I understand all RV 7,8,9 etc, are metal skin.

Are all the control surfaces 'Shrink wrap' type covering?. I thought they would be aluminium skinned.

They are metal skinned. I think the shrink wrap was supposed to replace the paint.

Ah, OK.

If this shrink wrap is becoming a popular option instead of painting, there may be serious implications if it did in fact cause flutter of a control surface.

Thanks.

**PLEASE NOTE**

I am reading the term 'SHRINK WRAP' in this thread. . . I must stress that I am not speculating about the incident described in this thread, just a bit of info for you.

I do not think it particularly pedantic to point out that this type of 'Wrapping' for plain colours or indeed Graphic images onto vehicles of many types, is more correctly STRETCH WRAPPING.

It is extremely popular for changing the colour of a car, as it is a lot less costly than a repaint, but does not last anywhere near as long.

The material is pulled over an area and then 'Pushed' into recesses and other concave / convex panel geometry by 'STRETCHING' using a hot air gun. The vinyl material is a stable 'CAST' product, which retains it's shape when stretched. Basically the opposite of Shrink Wrapping used in food packaging etc and it is a massive industry. I was involved in this work until I retired in 2014, and was only asked to 'Wrap' an aircraft once, ( PA-28 161 ) declining the job due to concerns about the stuff becoming detached in flight and the possibilty of fouling control surfaces..

My vinyl suppliers said they would not guarantee the product for aviation use either. . .product liabilty and all that malarkey I suppose.

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Popular in the car and motorbike scene.You can get textured or plain/smooth in many different patterns, colours.(eg carbon fibre look)

I was thinking of putting a couple of bands/stripes around my wings....

It's very thin and just "stick on"....will mold to compound curves when heated.

I can't say I would ever consider it as a primary covering, more like a decoration/ pinstriping thing.

I don't really think it would handle serious speeds. Obviously ok on cars....

Just as an aside... the original black on that Camaro looked a lot better than the dark grey wrap IMHO... why would you change that??

• Agree 1

Severe Thunder storms were in the area at the time so most likely was close to a Thunder Cell hence what ever he did caused Structual Failure whilst at speed and you don't have to be that close to one either convection winds spread for miles.

• Agree 1

Severe Thunder storms were in the area at the time so most likely was close to a Thunder Cell hence what ever he did caused Structual Failure whilst at speed and you don't have to be that close to one either convection winds spread for miles.

Thanks.

Havn't seen that mentioned anywhere else.

• Helpful 1

From the latest AvWeb site :

"Wing Loss Possible In RV Crash

A Van’s RV-7 that crashed on New Year’s Day in Northland New Zealand, killing both occupants, has caught the attention of the RV community because of the possibility of structural failure. If the investigation confirms the witness accounts, it will be the second suspected fatal in-flight breakup of an RV-7 this year. A similar aircraft crashed in Arizona in June and local reports suggest that plane came apart. The New Zealand builder/pilot Dean Voelkerling was an experienced and respected EMS helicopter pilot and was well-known in the local aviation community.

Local media reported eyewitness of a wing “spiraling” down separate from the stricken aircraft, which crashed into a field. While it is common for early eyewitness accounts to be inaccurate, video and still pictures released from the scene also appear to show the absence of the aircraft’s right wing. This tragedy will surely be watched closely by enthusiasts and authorities alike as the investigation unfolds, especially as it comes on the heels of a fatal accident of the same RV-7 model this past June in Arizona, which also presented early indications of an in-flight structural failure. More information will follow as the investigation continues."

• Helpful 1

Just as an aside... the original black on that Camaro looked a lot better than the dark grey wrap IMHO... why would you change that??

Local ex-client of mine asked if I could wrap his Dodge pickup. . .I couldn't understand why he wanted to do this as the paintwork was an immaculate metal flake royal blue, with two thin off central white stripes ( vinyl ) running lengthways. I had to decline the job due to no workshop space. He's had it wrapped all over in bright Orange and it looks bloody hideous ! ( IMHO )

APOLOGIES for continuing the thread drift BTW. . . . .

I've been looking at vinyl solutions for a homebuilt project... a much slower one. The vinyl technique is growing in popularity in the US (machines like the Hummelbird ultracruise or LSA Sonex) as it's much lighter than a proper paint job and 1/5 of the price. Lighter matters when the FAA only let then have 254lbs for a plane (if an ultralight).

As for the 'wrapping' technique - it's just like a model aircraft with iron-on coverings... overlap in the direction where the wind will not peel it back.

If this accident ripped skins, there will be ripped/stretched vinyl. Saying that, I have not inspected the plane before or after so let's wait and see.

Woohoo... first post... pity it's in a crap subject like this :(

Pete

• Like 1

I very much doubt vinyl is lighter than paint!

I think it would be. Something like 0.2mm thick ........

EDIT. Just found this brand stating 150 grams per square metre..

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/767410O/3m-scotchprint-car-wrap-film-series-1080.pdf

How does that compare?

Paint vs plastic wrapping probably deserves a separate thread but I do have a reservation about wrapping - small holes from stone dings could allow the entry of moisture and promote corrosion under the shiny surface. Even 6061 will corrode very nicely under a plastic coating.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was told that most of the aircraft was in paint, only the curved accent striping was applied as plastic

I was told that the canopy was located near the start of the debris trail

unless an alert comes from CAA or TAIC or SAA, its likely we wont hear anything for a year or so

• Informative 1

• 2 years later...

Almost exactly the same as the Canadian RV-7 accident in 2010. Proof some people do not want to learn.

Following a rapid descent (10 560 fpm down, 45° nose-down pitch), the aircraft progressively descended during the manoeuvres to approximately 1690 feet asl (800 feet agl). It reached airspeed of 234 knots before levelling momentarily at 1870 asl. The last EFIS record prior to impact indicated a nose-down pitch of 31°, right bank of 105° and airspeed 181 knots.
  • Informative 1