Seatback screens starting to disappear.

red750

It's probably going to go, 'bring your own entertainment and headphones', then just have a couple of USB ports on every seat.

Would actually be a lot lighter, and probably easier on the electrical system.

Any flights I do, I take my Aldi noise cancelling headphones, and plug my MP3 player into it.

Will probably start taking my tablet on future flights.

Need to take my mind off the cramped £µ©{¡~§ seating pitch!

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

I would go crazy sitting with noisy, disruptive Chinese for 8 to 10 hours without movies, it keeps them quieter also.

The cabin crew will call a halt to this. After all they will have no excuse to demand that you close the window blinds "to make viewing easier" and become semi comatose in the darkened and oxygen depleted cabin environment. As a result, people will want to eat and guzzle throughout the flight. Jeez, the cabin crew will have to work!

• Agree 3

No biggie really.

...unless you travel with 3 kids under 10.

We could literally not go overseas if long-haul flights didn't have screens with games & latest movies. 24 hours in a plane for a kid? Impossible without that seat-back distraction device.

• Agree 2

"The move comes after United Airlines announced that they would be charging a fee for people who want to stow away large items in the bins over their heads.

Along with charging for the overhead bins, it's been claimed United will also not assign any seats until the day of the flight, which means passengers travelling together may be separated."

United Airlines !

Enough said ! 103_score_001.gif.0354254b719c2e1032fedf21c3779e8a.gif

• Agree 1

...unless you travel with 3 kids under 10.We could literally not go overseas if long-haul flights didn't have screens with games & latest movies. 24 hours in a plane for a kid? Impossible without that seat-back distraction device.

I was on a long over seas flight once, stuck next to a couple with their young kids, by about halfway, I could have easily strangled them and felt no guilt for it. I imagine most others would have cheered me on.

• Agree 2

"The move comes after United Airlines announced that they would be charging a fee for people who want to stow away large items in the bins over their heads.Along with charging for the overhead bins, it's been claimed United will also not assign any seats until the day of the flight, which means passengers travelling together may be separated."

United Airlines !

Enough said ! 103_score_001.gif.0354254b719c2e1032fedf21c3779e8a.gif

Don't you mean Ununited Airlines?

• Haha 1

I was on a long over seas flight once, stuck next to a couple with their young kids, by about halfway, I could have easily strangled them and felt no guilt for it. I imagine most others would have cheered me on.

Are you a parent M61?

100% agree with you, and on the other hand after traveling a lot you have to face the fact that you're going to be stuck in a room for hours on end with other people who are self centered beyond belief. Just that little bit of mental prep avoids murder ....

I've already mentioned before my 2nd last flight, the guy behind me had his around 10 year old son standing in front of him(!) hard up against my seat playing. Closest I've come to hitting someone on a flight, even constantly reminding myself of the consequences.

I always take high quality ear plugs and then the movie earphones go over them - you can still hear the movie ok, but it blocks out most peripheral noise.

Are you a parent M61?

I have 3 children, they were always very well behaved and welcomed by all our friends and family because I am aware and considerate of other people, as I was always raised to be so. The alternative was a clip under the ear.

Babies are an exception, they usually scream for a reason, often pressure changes on the ears in planes, tummy wind, temp changes, not their fault, no excuses for undisciplined 3 years old and up.

Wow! I must be the world's worst parent, because despite my best efforts and those of my wife, sometimes our kids are, well, kids. I'm astonished to hear that there's other parents out there whose kids, since turning 3, would not make a peep or be in the slightest way annoying while locked inside an aluminium tube with nothing to do for 24 hours.

Before I was a father I too found small children annoying on flights. Since then I've developed a bit of sympathy for the parents, who are usually hugely embarrassed already by their kid's behaviour and don't deserve the disapproving looks or snide comments from other passengers.

For those who are experiencing the absolute luxury of travelling without children, I suggest a pair of noise cancelling headphones (Bose QC35 are good), or upgrade to the top floor of the A380.

• Like 2

Before I was a father I too found small children annoying on flights. Since then I've developed a bit of sympathy for the parents, who are usually hugely embarrassed already by their kid's behaviour and don't deserve the disapproving looks or snide comments from other passengers

I agree Marty but I had a boy about 4 jumping up and down in the seat behind me on the way to Thailand this year.

When he tired of that he decided to kick the back of my seat and flip the service tray up and down.

The worst thing was that his mother or carer made no attempt to refrain him from doing what he was doing.

One the other hand our old neighbour came to visit her mother on a flight from Perth to Melbourne over the holidays with her 2 small children 1 & 4.

When she was having problems setter ling down the kids the lady next to her said she was a mother and would gladly take the 1 year old for a walk around the plane, she came back with the little girl fast asleep.

I think most people will understand as long as you attempt to settle kids down, it's the ones that don't consider their kids actions that annoy s#it out of other passengers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

I agree Marty but I had a boy about 4 jumping up and down in the seat behind me on the way to Thailand this year.When he tired of that he decided to kick the back of my seat and flip the service tray up and down.

The worst thing was that his mother or carer made no attempt to refrain him from doing what he was doing.

One the other hand our old neighbour came to visit her mother from Perth to Melbourne over the holidays with her 2 small children 1 & 4.

When she was having problems setter ling down the kids the lady next to her said she was a mother and would gladly take the 1 year old for a walk around the plane, she came back with the little girl fast asleep.

I think most people will understand as long as you attempt to settle kids down, it's the ones that don't consider their kids actions that annoy s#it out of other passengers.

I agree Butch that parents need to attempt to control their kids, my 5-year old was playing with the seat tray in front of her too and I stopped her (several times) telling her that it would annoy the man in front.

My spray was directed at a couple of folks who seem to think that (a) parents with kids should never travel on planes, or (b), all kids should be disciplined little robots after the age of 3.

I would ask those people to remember their own childhood and tell me if they were perfect little angels all the time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Are you a parent M61?

What difference does that make? I'm a great Grand Father who absolutely loves his GK's and GGK's - does that mean I could go around the world in a jumbo with noisy uncontrolled brats sitting beside me! Going down to Brissy in the train is bad enough!

He's quite justified complaining - I'd be asking to be moved! Just because your in an aeroplane doesn't mean you have to put up with any type of nuisance!

Wow! I must be the world's worst parent, because despite my best efforts and those of my wife, sometimes our kids are, well, kids. I'm astonished to hear that there's other parents out there whose kids, since turning 3, would not make a peep or be in the slightest way annoying while locked inside an aluminium tube with nothing to do for 24 hours. Before I was a father I too found small children annoying on flights. Since then I've developed a bit of sympathy for the parents, who are usually hugely embarrassed already by their kid's behaviour and don't deserve the disapproving looks or snide comments from other passengers.

For those who are experiencing the absolute luxury of travelling without children, I suggest a pair of noise cancelling headphones (Bose QC35 are good), or upgrade to the top floor of the A380.

You can tell those that make an effort to endure their offspring don't negatively impact others apart from those believe parenting means just keeping the sprog alive, either because "it's a free spirit", or if it's dead "I won't get paid my benefits". In any case, if they're old enough to find tv entertaining they're old enough know how to behave, even if they don't want to.

In any case I stayed right away from air travel and long distance buses with young children, 1. because you need to be able to stop and sort out any problems, and 2. I know how much I hate having to deal with other people's kids in a confined space and try to avoid not being a hypocrite.

Please explain how headphones stop the stench of a full nappy right next to you, while the ground crew fix the aircon for an hour in the 38 Degree humid heat on a tropical tarmac. I know a toddler can't help that, but it doesn't make it any less sickening.

On the original topic, as a maintainer. I figured that those screen would get old quick with airlines, it's hard and expensive enough to keep the necessary bits on a plane working flawlessly, let alone hundreds of unnecessary temperamental electronic devices that get mishandled several times a day.

it's a bit of an ask to expect kids to be quiet for the times these flights take. I don't have an answer. Since flying became the cheapest way to travel expect more of this. I hate flying (as a passenger). Australia's big enough to spend a bit of time looking around it without getting bored and you get robbed in your own language. Nev