Across Australia - Katanning to Kingaroy

Friarpuk

I finally edited my video.

In June 2013 I moved my plane from WA to Qld. I followed a front across and because so got favorable tailwinds. I cruise just under 90Kts but got ground speeds of 105 to 115 Kts because of the south westerly winds behind the front. The only adverse weather was on day three when I caught the front at Port Augusta and had to fly under cloud through a pass in the Flinders Range. Day one Katanning to Esperance to stay with friends. Day two Esperance (Myrup), fuel at Caiguna, Eulca wee break, Nullabor Roadhouse for fuel to Ceduna. Day Three Ceduna to Port Augusta and Mildura for fuel then Temora. Layover day four with friends at Temora. Day Five Temora to Narromine for fuel and then to Steve Hunt's farm near Warialda for lunch and fuel, then home to Kingaroy. All up with favourable winds the first three days the flight took 22 hours and I covered a distance of 2200 nautical miles. Enjoy the video.

[GALLERY=media, 4053]Across Australia - Katanning to Kingaroy - YouTube by Friarpuk posted Jan 25, 2018 at 5:27 AM[/GALLERY]

• Like 13
  • Winner 3

Great video as always FP....you been slack though its been a long time since you put one up. Are you doing much flying out at Kingaroy...its my old haunt from the mid 80's...did about 80 plus hours of gliding out there

Thanks for the compliment Kyle. Yes it has been a while between drinks. I'm not full time in ministry at the moment, but have been working in my old trade, as a cameraman, editor, and now photographer, multimedia creator for the local rag in Kingaroy. Hence after editing shooting all day the last thing I usually wanted to do was more editing when I got home. That's why there haven't been too many videos over the last four or so years.

Flying not as much as I use to. I was out of action for a while. I had four operations on my head in three years, the last one was Feb 2017 and I had a seizure on the table, so no flying or driving for six months. All well now and back driving and flying. Did some flying between the ops but it got back to about once every month or so. Nevertheless every time I fly I have at least one camera rolling. Old habits die hard, and I have hard drives full of vision of me trolling around the countryside.

Do you know Mark Schwenke, he did a bit of gliding and I know him quite well.

regards

No I dont know him..most of all the crew that I used to fly with have moved away I think. Ian Aspland, Carl Mengerson...I have him on FB...Mark Sommerfeld, Heather James back then dont know what sort of ministry you do but Heather's father was the local Uniting Church Minister there back then. There are lots..Derek and Julie Swain, Peter Swain, Reiney Kolb, John Fairburn...Dave Smart he used to have a tiger moth back then and I have super 8 film of me in there doing aerobatics in it...Dave was killed in a car crash though..such a shame too a super nice guy....so many..they were great times back then. Used to drive from the middle of Brisbane every weekend to there and stay in the bunkhouse..I used to drive a mini panelvan in those days...hahahah brings back great memories of that time....I think there maybe a reunion soon too of those days soon to be held up there

• Like 1

No I dont know him..most of all the crew that I used to fly with have moved away I think. Ian Aspland, Carl Mengerson...I have him on FB...Mark Sommerfeld, Heather James back then dont know what sort of ministry you do but Heather's father was the local Uniting Church Minister there back then. There are lots..Derek and Julie Swain, Peter Swain, Reiney Kolb, John Fairburn...Dave Smart he used to have a tiger moth back then and I have super 8 film of me in there doing aerobatics in it...Dave was killed in a car crash though..such a shame too a super nice guy....so many..they were great times back then. Used to drive from the middle of Brisbane every weekend to there and stay in the bunkhouse..I used to drive a mini panelvan in those days...hahahah brings back great memories of that time....I think there maybe a reunion soon too of those days soon to be held up there

Yes I know about Dave. His wife Sue remarried my wife's uncle but the marriage didn't last. I am a Lutheran Padre.

I finally edited my video. In June 2013 I moved my plane from WA to Qld. I followed a front across and because so got favorable tailwinds. I cruise just under 90Kts but got ground speeds of 105 to 115 Kts because of the south westerly winds behind the front. The only adverse weather was on day three when I caught the front at Port Augusta and had to fly under cloud through a pass in the Flinders Range. Day one Katanning to Esperance to stay with friends. Day two Esperance (Myrup), fuel at Caiguna, Eulca wee break, Nullabor Roadhouse for fuel to Ceduna. Day Three Ceduna to Port Augusta and Mildura for fuel then Temora. Layover day four with friends at Temora. Day Five Temora to Narromine for fuel and then to Steve Hunt's farm near Warialda for lunch and fuel, then home to Kingaroy. All up with favourable winds the first three days the flight took 22 hours and I covered a distance of 2200 nautical miles. Enjoy the video.

[GALLERY=media, 4053]Across Australia - Katanning to Kingaroy - YouTube by Friarpuk posted Jan 25, 2018 at 5:27 AM[/GALLERY]

Well done Heath, a great journey, thanks for letting us share it, sorry to hear about your ops, I sincerely hope that is all behind you now, best wishes Michael (Skyranger Swift)

• Like 1