J230 100 hrly costs

flie43

Hi All,

Getting closer to ordering a J230 and am trying to get all the costings in order for a syndicate. Was wondering what the average cost would be for 100 hrly for a VH registered 230 and who is a good Lame for Jabs in Vic or NSW.

We are also looking at some different scenarios for syndicate set ups--are there any links or sources for more info on setting them up etc.

Terry

As a really rough guide I can say from experience (I have operated a Piper Cherokee and now operate a J160 and J230) that your maintenance cost will be about 10% of old GA types - but this is using a L2 not LAME (he charges much less than any LAME!)

takes about 6-8 man hours to do a 100hrly and about 1-2 hours every 25 for oil change/general check over. Parts are much cheaper. Plugs about $3.50 VS $25!

Engine life not as good, but they are cheaper to overhaul and the engines are improving - just make sure that your LAME (or L2) really knows these engines (just because a LAME charges $75 per hour this does not mean he knows what he/she is doing!).

Airframe maintenance is almost zero when compared to older GA types - tyres, lube hinges- thats about it.

Any reason why you are choosing to go GA rego?

L2 vs LAME.

Just pointing out that an L2 can't service a VH registered Jab. Another point is that a lot of LAME's don't like RAA type aircraft as they regard them as a bit inferior, so pick your LAME carefully. No-one should be expected to work for nothing, so some L2's may be a little dearer in the future as the time on the job, will be the principal determinant of a cost comparison ( there should be an hourly rate difference due to training levels and overheads as well, But that's a constant ). It's the simplicity of the basic aircraft that helps cut your costs. Panels with gyro instruments can cost a fortune. Nev..

I do agree that some L2 maintainers are going to get more expensive. I for one am prepared to pay more - they need to eat as well!

LAME's will most likely always be more expensive because they have higher costs.

Facthunter you are certainly on point when you say that a simple airframe means simple maintenance!

I know someone that has just spent $8,000 on a 100hrly because of corrosion. This was just in the lower fuselage - he still has 2 wings and the tail to worry about!

Facthunter and Blueline, thanks heaps for your feedback. Great to get some actual costings and after talking to a few others these aircraft seem to beat hands down any of the standard GA aircraft (Cessna etc ).

And Blueline-why am I going down the VH road and not RAA--hmm-I am keen on the NVFR package for early starts and late arrivals in the J230D, but maybe I should seriously rethink my choices.

Terry