Do we want off topic back?

SDQDI

Do we want off topic back in rec flying?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do we want off topic back in rec flying?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not concerned either way

I am just posting this poll so we can get an idea on what everyone's thoughts are regarding bringing the off topic forums back to rec flying.

Please feel free to post your thoughts but keep them civil:buddies:

• 5 months later...

Maybe not "off topic" but its apparent that many members would benefit from a couple of others - "axe to grind" and "glass half empty". This would enable them to bang on ad infinitum as to how they were wronged by authority and the good old days.

It may require an audio filter as the whining will be louder than a GE90 spooling up

• Agree 2

I thought that the daughter, Whats Up , was the de facto off topic site. However, it does annoy me when the serious topics on this site start to wander off track and no amount of opposite ruddr will bring them back.

And Yes - mea culpa

• Agree 3

I enjoy reading it all and would prefer to have it in one place.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be more convenient if we add my suggested forums - Glass Half Empty and Axe to Grind. That way about half the posts on this site would have a home

Threads once posted assume a life of their own. There's not much serious stuff about flying or building. (in my view). I don't really know what others want.. Nev

From my point of view I am only interested in the flying content. Religious/political/greenie etc. matters are all subjects that everyone has their own views on (many strongly held) and there is plenty of places to debate that if one is so inclined, even WUA I guess but I never go there as I have my own opinion and not interested in hearing others.

If Rec Flying is to be about “flying” and associated matters like CASA & RAA then there is not space for the other social distractions - after all there is enough disagreement and debate about flying/aircraft/administration and the like without including unrelated subjects.

Just my view and I accept there will be plenty who disagree with me on that also, but so be it.

• Agree 5

The flying seriously thing seems to run out of puff .I've adhered to it and put a lot out but but get little response. I'm a flying person without apology. Nev

............ that could mean a number of things FH - most posts (and yours) are read and appreciated - lots don't respond nor do they think it / is required - its just read and filed away in the central puta to be used when needed - all the different viewpoints and experiences add up to some worth (think that's what you meant FH)

• Agree 2

Some of them do need a response. and need to be expanded and discussed. I'm not saying they all deserve it. Alternatively I don't always respond here when I should as complex issues directly relating to a technique are better off done with a whiteboard or model and in conjunction with YOUR instructor's view of things. Ie you can't learn to fly on a site like this, but you can stimulate a process where you can sort it out. Nev

Ian there has been a resurgence of abuse on various threads in the last couple of weeks. It seems to be instigated by a couple of trolls on the themes of European and American politics, but a lot of good members here have risen to the bait. We had enjoyed 18 months of quiet respectful discussion of aviation matters but the tone recently is quite off-putting. If another site or off topic area is available and the mods can move a thread to it then it might be a good thing. This is a reversal of my previous view but things have changed.

With Whats Up Australia being a different site it is not possible to move a thread or post actoss to it. If Whats Up Australia was moved back and somehow seperated then it would be possible to move a thread or post across to it

Ian, can you close a thread, and leave a link to WUA? That might stop unsuitable thread drift. And maybe discourage some of the hijack/trolling/baiting. Once a thread has drifted into a unrelated (non recflying) theme where a couple of posters start airing their passions, it can be impossible to drag it back to the original theme.

• Agree 1