Ashby now on the chopping block

fly_tornado

not saying this is political but PHON's vote has collapsed over the last 6 months and Hanson has had another defection, I wonder who leaked this to the ABC?

The ABC understands Mr Ashby is being investigated by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) for flying the Jabiru J230 during the 2016 election campaign.

CASA has declined to confirm or deny whether any investigation is underway.

If found guilty, Mr Ashby faces fines and could lose his licence.

The ABC understands Mr Ashby only holds a recreational pilot's licence and the plane is registered as a recreational aircraft.

That means it cannot be flown for commercial purposes or in controlled airspace above major airports.

Mr Ashby described the investigation as a "political witch-hunt".

"I will comply with CASA's request for documents, however this is just a further waste of taxpayers' money where their findings will result in the same outcome as previous investigations," he said.

The plane is plastered with a stylised image of Senator Hanson, and Mr Ashby used it to fly the One Nation leader around Queensland in 2015 and 2016.

In 2015, Mr Ashby boasted in a radio interview about piloting the then-candidate around for her commitments.

Ashby investigated for flying Pauline Hanson without proper pilot's licence

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, it's lucky for Ashby, then, that Pauline hasn't posted videos to YooToob of Ashby doing excessive bank angle manoeuvres - he'd be done like a spit roast and made an example of, by CASA. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.a3ff7382d559df9a047d5e265974e5f3.gif

Maybe CASA should also look at itself and into whos running ATC, for handing out redundancies that they made a mistake on, and now the Tax dept is trying to claim tax on. CASA employs Air Services Australia I have been told, have not seen any heads roll on this one yet, but have heard plenty of lawyers being consulted by these guys who took up the offer.

Is it illegal for a RAAus pilot to pilot a politician around the country? As far as I can see from the rules and regs I have read, I could pilot the PM around the country in a Jab, so long as I did not do it commercially. I could accept half the planes running costs and pay the other half myself, quite legally. I don't think there is any chance of my piloting Turnbull around, I would rather take him up and let him find his own way down.

Is it illegal for a RAAus pilot to pilot a politician around the country? As far as I can see from the rules and regs I have read, I could pilot the PM around the country in a Jab, so long as I did not do it commercially. I could accept half the planes running costs and pay the other half myself, quite legally

Got me a bit puzzled as well. If a mate says "There's a plane for sale at Yxxx. Can you give me a lift to look at it? I'll pay your fuel" Can you not do that? Seems silly.

He MAY have crossed the line a bit by flying into CTA, is one story I heard as being only a RAA pilot - However besides that if he flew her anywhere as a private person and was not paid as a pilot, and or for the aircraft its a moot point.

I think its great we get (RAA sport aviation) in the headlines with Pauline showing what is available with RAA aircraft and we can match the VH Cessna types on distance more cheaply.

Maybe we should start UBER RAA AVAITION!

He MAY have crossed the line a bit by flying into CTA, is one story I heard as being only a RAA pilot - However besides that if he flew her anywhere as a private person and was not paid as a pilot, and or for the aircraft its a moot point.I think its great we get (RAA sport aviation) in the headlines with Pauline showing what is available with RAA aircraft and we can match the VH Cessna types on distance more cheaply.Maybe we should start UBER RAA AVAITION!

Maybe that's what it's really all about? GA operators getting their knickers in a twist, fearing more people might go RAA and fly themselves.... (Shhh..)

Ashby didn’t pay for the aircraft did he? If not, receiving a fee aircraft on the proviso he fly Pauline around is not a bad reward. It’s possible the party may have also covered all costs associated with the flights?

The legislation is very clear and straightforward.

There are thousands of ways people have tried to get around it over the years. The thousands of ways don't work, so its pointless coming up with versions which have been tried before.

This one drew national attention; doesn't surprise me at all that it will be investigated.

I think Ashby is on pretty firm ground. He has an RA pilots licence that allows him to carry as many pax as he can fit in the aircraft. He's not accepting any payments directly to his own personal account.

The Jab 230-D was bought by property developer Bill McNee as a One Nation "contribution" - but the aircraft is registered in Ashbys name, and there's no official record of the aircraft being a direct political party donation.

No doubt the fuel and maintenance is being paid for by ON - but that's not the same as "commercial hire and reward".

It's all about "shadow" operations, exactly the same as directors such as Clive Palmer operate as shadow directors, running supposedly "independent" businesses.

Clive claims he has no control over the business, and officially appoints others to the CEO position - but that CEO continuously refers to Clive for directions and instructions - with no official or written record of instructions.

Just the reason Clive Mensink isn't coming back to Australia any time soon, unless he's arrested and dragged back, kicking and screaming.

Outlaw motorcycle gangs have been known to operate the same way - running legit businesses, with "clean" shadow directors, appointed by the bikies - yet laundering bikie gang drug money through the "legal" business, to make it "clean money".

Ashby is safe, because he, Pauline, and McNee have done their homework, and what Ashby is doing, CASA class as "business flying". CASA's definition of "business flying"? ...

"Flying by the aircraft owner, his/her employees or the hirer of the aircraft, for business or professional reasons, but not directly for hire or reward."

Listening to Pauline tonight, she says it is a witch hunt because she spoke out against Carmody being appointed Chief Executive Officer and Director of Aviation Safety with no Aviation Experience.

She was very vocal about it and she believes that this is payback.

Her comment on ABC tonight was "He is a bureaucrat who knows little about Aviation."

Guest Guest
Listening to Pauline tonight, she says it is a witch hunt because she spoke out against Carmody being appointed Chief Executive Officer and Director of Aviation Safety with no Aviation Experience.She was very vocal about it and she believes that this is payback.Her comment on ABC tonight was "He is a bureaucrat who knows little about Aviation."

She's probably right, CASA might have been prodded in the side to make this witch hunt happen, politics in Australia is as grubby as it gets!!

She's probably right, CASA might have been prodded in the side to make this witch hunt happen, politics in Australia is as grubby as it gets!!

She actually mentions that.

Her comments were something like, "The major parties are always trying to hang something on us."

The established principle is that itis OK to fly as Ashby has if it is incidental to his employment, just like the guy who flies the corporate KingAir on a PPL which is incidental to his clerical job.

He may be okay about the commercial use thing but the media keep on talking about controlled airspace. If he did go into CTA he may find that harder to explain. It’s fairly black and white.

Slap on the wrist - for anyone else!

As I read it "Only a witch hunt".. CASA has better things to do..CASA needs to keep an eye on the tertiary implications.KP

If this is pursued with vigour, watch out as what is next.Just a view.

KP.

And - where is RAA in all of this - Not a word of support or its a problem with the operation ever! Why? anyone else and they would have phone calls from the office and paperwork????

And - where is RAA in all of this - Not a word of support or its a problem with the operation ever! Why? anyone else and they would have phone calls from the office and paperwork????

RAA is being wise to stay out of it; check the legislation.