BalanceMaster testing

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This interesting thread has gone cold. My GoPro movies show bad vibration, presumably coming from my Jab 2.2 prop.I'm interested in fitting one of these balancers.

Give Bob of Avid Aviation at Dalby a call.

If you're talking about the Balance Master manufactured in the U. S., I've got a big one just in front on the prop (pusher) and one up front at the flywheel. No help whatsoever. Bought one years ago, no help then either. So why did I buy two now? Good question but desperation is the best answer I can arrive at.

Well I fitted one to my aircraft on friday and went for a fly yesterday. It made a very big difference. very noticeable change in total engine vibration. I have to say I really did not think I would actually notice much difference but it has. Even in the facebook live videos I have done you can see the wobble in the reflections off the inside of the lexan. The FB live that I did yesterday and also a video I did separately show much reduced wobble in the lexan reflections.  So for me it has made a big difference.  Calanhan how badly out is your prop now that is what I would ask. Has it ever been dynamically balanced?. The balance master can only do a certain amount of imbalance. Daniel did some trsting just with a electric drill and some weight and at the distance of the particular balancemaster it would allow for about 13grn of weight ..if you prop is a really long way out your not going to see any difference anyay

If you're talking about the Balance Master manufactured in the U. S., I've got a big one just in front on the prop (pusher) and one up front at the flywheel. No help whatsoever. Bought one years ago, no help then either. So why did I buy two now? Good question but desperation is the best answer I can arrive at.

Did you ever get that vibe sorted? Heard nothing about it for a while.

Callahan by the way you can not put 2 balancemasters on a common shaft. You can on the rotax as the main crank and the prop are on different shafts but on your pushed if you have a std engine and the prop is on that drive coming directly off the crank on the same shaft then you will have troubles

Callahan by the way you can not put 2 balancemasters on a common shaft. You can on the rotax as the main crank and the prop are on different shafts but on your pushed if you have a std engine and the prop is on that drive coming directly off the crank on the same shaft then you will have troubles

Callahan had a thread a while ago with some major vibe problems with his drifter. I believe that he had one on the gearbox output and one one the engine crank as recommended by BalanceMasters.

I suspect that the vibe isn't prop related.

www.recreationalflying.com/topic/32460-high-frequency-vibration/

I have been bringing in the Balancers for some years, they do a fantastic job and I believe extend the life of the gearbox & engine as well the reduced vibration throughout the airframe reducing  fatigue.

I have Balancers on hand for

Rotax 912/914 

Rotax 503 flywheel 

Rotax 582 & Lycoming on order.

• Like 1

If you're talking about the Balance Master manufactured in the U. S., I've got a big one just in front on the prop (pusher) and one up front at the flywheel. No help whatsoever. Bought one years ago, no help then either. So why did I buy two now? Good question but desperation is the best answer I can arrive at.

If it's a Rotax two stroke pushers there is a lot more forces come into play what engine do you have it on . Daniel

I am very interested in trying a Balance Master (BM) BUT having problems getting the Au & USA suppliers to send drawings, they just want to send photos (with some but not all dimensions). Why do I want drawings - drawing should come with dimensions. Dimensions are kind of handy when deciding on which BM to order.

I understand there is at least 2 (may be more) BM suitable for the Rotax 912/914 range. I knowe they vary in size/shape (offset) & punched bolt holes. Hope to have a more helpful reply soon.

I am very interested in trying a Balance Master (BM) BUT having problems getting the Au & USA suppliers to send drawings, they just want to send photos (with some but not all dimensions). Why do I want drawings - drawing should come with dimensions. Dimensions are kind of handy when deciding on which BM to order.I understand there is at least 2 (may be more) BM suitable for the Rotax 912/914 range. I knowe they vary in size/shape (offset) & punched bolt holes. Hope to have a more helpful reply soon.

Hi Skippy Daniel on Facebook aviation buy and sell has some 912 units for sale at $185 plus $12 postage. I ordered mine Tuesday and arrived Friday. There are dimensions on a French site. Cheers Mike

Hi Skippy Daniel on Facebook aviation buy and sell has some 912 units for sale at $185 plus $12 postage. I ordered mine Tuesday and arrived Friday. There are dimensions on a French site. Cheers Mike

Thanks - In contact with Daniel.

Can you post the French web site address?

Fitted the propeller balance master this afternoon. Should get a fly in this weekend. Also checked the propeller blade pitch relationship with a laser pointer fitted to the angle tool. All within 3mm at 1300mm arm length. (If anyone knows the math formula to work out the degree of pitch difference I would appreciate it. I'll need to refresh on this math but not tonight.) Looking forward to the next flight.

130812649_PenLaserdot20180626_174635.jpg.908bc857225f5025f0c63cd18fe7126d.jpg

363404586_20180626_181939laserdotpoints3mmapartover1300mm.jpg.70e8207273030843d045c628f5a69c46.jpg

20180626_174642.jpg.96ea2d0486f838d8033e4d2e89d5f198.jpg

587373403_20180626_183458BalanceMasterfitted.jpg.385de9437c406550972d6eb00b12e1f4.jpg

Instead of having the laser aimed at the floor, set it up so it is aimed at the leading edge of the wing. That way it won't matter if the plane moves slightly when you turn the prop.

Mike you need to turn the balancemaster 180 deg so that the ring is towards the prop...your losing mechanical advantage with the way it is...unless of course it doesnt fit but it looks like it will. The further forward you can get that ring of mercury the better

• Informative 1

Mike you need to turn the balancemaster 180 deg so that the ring is towards the prop...your losing mechanical advantage with the way it is...unless of course it doesnt fit but it looks like it will. The further forward you can get that ring of mercury the better

Hi Kyle - Interesting comment.

• I believe Balance Master supply a "ring" that is designed to go in front of the prop - are you suggesting this would be the better location ?

• This web site BALANCE MASTERS PROPELLER UL912 - Aeroplans Blaus supplied by Blue Adventure, shows the ring facing back (gear box direction) - your comment?

The rotax gearbox has a ring flange on it that the 912 balancemaster fits over so its made to fit there but the savannahs have a prop extension of about 5 inches and that ring ridge is on the prop extension so you can stick the balance master further out. It would be even better on the front of the prop as it will have better ability to balance even more out of balance further out of course due to mechanical advantage. On my bolly hub you need to make a spigot to go into the bolly hub to be able to centre the balancemaster on the front of the bolly hub. I have made the spigots but because of the slots in the balance master you need to fit washers onto the front to make sure the prop hub nuts bite better onto the front of the balance master. I didnt have any washers at the time so I put mine on the front of the prop extension which puts it on the back of the bolly hub

648096812_IMG_56452.JPG.7b095da3ce27ceba40ca0ee1107772f1.JPG

1358535084_IMG_56432.JPG.14add03de61438223d3ee34d84346d15.JPG

881596865_IMG_56442.JPG.8b8c939699344582d8a91b71ce4caf2f.JPG

• Informative 1

Hi Kyle - Interesting comment.

• I believe Balance Master supply a "ring" that is designed to go in front of the prop - are you suggesting this would be the better location ?

• This web site BALANCE MASTERS PROPELLER UL912 - Aeroplans Blaus supplied by Blue Adventure, shows the ring facing back (gear box direction) - your comment?

Hi Skippy

Alf Jessup is running a balance master and is happy with its performance. Fitted same orintatiion as my images.

Mark has it working in his fitup at the prop end of the spacer.

I had read about the requirement to fit it to flange rather than between the spacer and propeller (I believe that may be due to out of square machining of the spacer mating surfaces, etc).

I'll try it as its presently fitted and work from there. I don't have the long spacer that Savannahs require so I believe it should be satisfactory at the 912 ouput flange.

You could pm Alf and get more detail about his setup as it may be a similar fit up to your aircraft.

Daniel also imports undrilled balance masters so I would expect that he and Mark may CAD a template and drill specifically for the Savannah's long spacers and maybe re work the spacer with a spigot to allow perfectly centered fitups.

I'll provide feedback to the forum after putting on a copuple of hours.

Cheers

Mike

Mike & Kyle:

My prop/cowling/extension set up is tight, so to have the best chance of ordering the BM that will fit, I need to have accurate hopefully consistent information

I seem to getting more & more confused with what should be a simple matter:-

• Daniel's BM 912 dimensions are OD 183 mm, ID 47 mm, 18 mm offset, flange 127 mm, slotted holes (this looks like the one you guys have fitted)

• Daniel also has a Flat, OD 175, ID 25.4 mm, 8 mm holes which may be suitable

• Mikes "Aeroplans Blaus" web site drawing has the 912/914 as an OD of 169 mm & 18 mm offset, slotted holes (which is correct ???).

• The Aeroplans Blaus photos of installation, show the offset back, towards the gearbox - This may be for cowling clearance reasons

Having the ring more forward is better. The rotax one with the slots Daniel and I have measured to the outside..maybe the french site measured to the inside of the balance tube..that 169 would probably be to where the tube joins the main flat plate. If you go on daniels dimensions as they are the ones actually in his hands and he has measured.

Interesting, Mark. I can't do that with mine because the mounting plate for my large spinner is in the way.

I like Skippy's idea of mounting the BM in front of the prop. That should work for my situation, but I'm hastening slowly; I'd rather not be the first to fit one to a Jab engine.

• More 1