Pilot charged

New report today about another incident in 2016, where an African youth was caught holding up a chemist shop with scissors. Police knocked him to the ground, kneed him in the back, punched him in the head and kicked him. Consensus on soshul meejar was that he got what he deserved, violence is the only thing they understand.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

violence is the only thing they understand.

What...the cops or the youths?Sometime I'm sure it's what the offenders deserve, which is great right up until they (cops) decide you're one of those offenders.

Fiction

You should visit the real world occasionally Turbo, those sorts of accounts are common place.Check out Chris Hurley's past. He's not the only one, he's the only one that got caught on video.

What...the cops or the youths?Sometime I'm sure it's what the offenders deserve, which is great right up until they (cops) decide you're one of those offenders.You should visit the real world occasionally Turbo, those sorts of accounts are common place.

Check out Chris Hurley's past. He's not the only one, he's the only one that got caught on video.

Nothing to do with me; someone else's post went in before mine.

Apologies then, I thought you were suggesting police violence was "Fiction".

No, I'm leaning the other way; we want to dial 000 and be protected, unfortunately, even if the videos haven't been edited to leave out the damage done to the officers, what we want will always contain some collateral damage.

No, I'm leaning the other way; we want to dial 000 and be protected, unfortunately, even if the videos haven't been edited to leave out the damage done to the officers, what we want will always contain some collateral damage.

There's collateral damage, then there's outright thuggery. Here in QLD, right after they introduced VLAD laws, they demonstrated very clearly why enforcers can't be trusted to enforce the intent of the law by using the letter of the law to intimidate and harass anyone they could vaguely associate with owning a motorcycle.I am not one of those who want to dial 000 and be safe, because I know that it doesn't work. Statistics they use, tell me that while they may solve my murder (which is useless to me), most stolen property is never seen again, although they may catch the people who did it, sometimes.

religion and law (including aviation law) are our fabrics of society - might as will throw in democracy as well (some unspeakable subjects mentioned there)

........... best known fabrics to date (of course, I could be convinced by good propaganda, though)

religion and law (including aviation law) are our fabrics of society - might as will throw in democracy as well (some unspeakable subjects mentioned there)........... best known fabrics to date (of course, I could be convinced by good propaganda, though)

Understood....I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to both.

There was a great article recently about gliding in Poland. The old regime was full of government controls and surveillance, and people are now having a wonderful time enjoying freedom. It is rare for a reduction of regulation to happen, but it did in Poland.

I bet that if CASA were abolished completely, there would be little if any increase in accidents. And even if there was an increase, I would regard it as a price worth paying for freedom.

There was a great article recently about gliding in Poland. The old regime was full of government controls and surveillance, and people are now having a wonderful time enjoying freedom. It is rare for a reduction of regulation to happen, but it did in Poland.I bet that if CASA were abolished completely, there would be little if any increase in accidents. And even if there was an increase, I would regard it as a price worth paying for freedom.

That is usually the case with well run self regulating bodies; they are usually much closer to the causes of accidents.Vicroads drivers - about 300 fatals per year

Vic speedway drivers - Zero fatals in 50 years.

If CASA had been abolished years ago, there would have been no oversight on supposedly dangerous maintenance problems and Ansett Aviation would not have been shut down. You may argue that Ansett was doing nothing dangerous and you may be correct, but I had refused to fly Ansett way before CASA caused their shut down. Not so much because of perceived danger but because of bad service to save them money.

I think we need CASA just to oversee aviation business, but the everyday oversight of recreational aviation should be taken away from them, except for their laying the ground rules.

I think we need CASA just to oversee aviation business, but the everyday oversight of recreational aviation should be taken away from them, except for their laying the ground rules.

I assume you're talking about GA recreational aircraft, which can include anything up to Dick's executive Jet.Why would you want to assume responsibility?

Yenn, if I had my way then an airline with a poor safety record could operate and could well be cheaper, and travellers could choose the level of safety they were prepared to pay for. So the government's role would be to publicize the actual records of the carriers. Yes I too would pay more for one with a "no accident" record. But how much more? Well I don't know until I see the deals on offer.

Yenn, if I had my way then an airline with a poor safety record could operate and could well be cheaper, and travellers could choose the level of safety they were prepared to pay for. So the government's role would be to publicize the actual records of the carriers. Yes I too would pay more for one with a "no accident" record. But how much more? Well I don't know until I see the deals on offer.

Great idea, Bruce- in theory.Unfortunately people tend to buy cheap, no matter the risk and with large commercial aircraft the risk isn't just to the penny-pinching passengers- they fly over populated areas. I'm more than happy to have governments regulate safety.

I have lived through EASA under Patrick Gordou (I think that's how his name is spelled).in which his remit was to harmonise aviation law across the EU. Unfortunately, he took it as harmonising recreational aviation law and requirements with CAT/RPT which decimated the recreational (but CoA) end of the market. An example as Part M which virtually doubled the cost of maintaining aircraft at the light end of CoA examples through increased paperwork and certification requirements. Flying schools that only taught to the PPL + IMC Rating + Night Rating + Complex Singles only had to be a registered traidning facility, which was like AOC lite; but this was to be abolished in favour of requiring a full ATO. There was no safety case for any of the changes and so punitive were the changes, many operators circumvented the rules as the CAA inspectors focussed on paperwork rather than the oil dripping from the machine that was signed off.

Thankfully, he has been replaced (after 10 years of destruction), basically because he tried to push through all CoA aircraft over a certain weight - I can't remember it but YAKs were caught in it - requiring a certified cockpit voice recorder and black box. Despite years of protestations by the CAA, this was enough to get the French DGAC upset and Gordou is replaced by Patryk Ky, who then charges the DGAC for coming up with recommendations for streamlining light GA regs to be proportional and evidenced by the risks. It has been slow going, but there has been improvement - and we are getting to where we were before EASA got their claws into it. Part M lite has taken maintenance back to where it was (and in some areas, a little more relaxed), twin are again allowed to land in unlicensed airfields (for some reason, the Tecnam :P2006T was considered as needing a much emergency services cover as a B777). There is still some way to go.

I can see where Bruce is coming from; My view is that once the regulation is more or less complete, the regulators tend not to be able ti justify their empires so move to the realm of fiction and over-regulate based on nonsensical safety cases. The problem is there doesn#t seem to tbe the political will of democratic accountability to fix it.

I have lived through EASA under Patrick Gordou (I think that's how his name is spelled).in which his remit was to harmonise aviation law across the EU. Unfortunately, he took it as harmonising recreational aviation law and requirements with CAT/RPT which decimated the recreational (but CoA) end of the market. An example as Part M which virtually doubled the cost of maintaining aircraft at the light end of CoA examples through increased paperwork and certification requirements. Flying schools that only taught to the PPL + IMC Rating + Night Rating + Complex Singles only had to be a registered traidning facility, which was like AOC lite; but this was to be abolished in favour of requiring a full ATO. There was no safety case for any of the changes and so punitive were the changes, many operators circumvented the rules as the CAA inspectors focussed on paperwork rather than the oil dripping from the machine that was signed off.Thankfully, he has been replaced (after 10 years of destruction), basically because he tried to push through all CoA aircraft over a certain weight - I can't remember it but YAKs were caught in it - requiring a certified cockpit voice recorder and black box. Despite years of protestations by the CAA, this was enough to get the French DGAC upset and Gordou is replaced by Patryk Ky, who then charges the DGAC for coming up with recommendations for streamlining light GA regs to be proportional and evidenced by the risks. It has been slow going, but there has been improvement - and we are getting to where we were before EASA got their claws into it. Part M lite has taken maintenance back to where it was (and in some areas, a little more relaxed), twin are again allowed to land in unlicensed airfields (for some reason, the Tecnam :P2006T was considered as needing a much emergency services cover as a B777). There is still some way to go.

I can see where Bruce is coming from; My view is that once the regulation is more or less complete, the regulators tend not to be able ti justify their empires so move to the realm of fiction and over-regulate based on nonsensical safety cases. The problem is there doesn#t seem to tbe the political will of democratic accountability to fix it.

Arms length bodies - where the government finds something too hard, too time consuming, or too risky, and offloads it in various levels of autonomy, seem to spawn or attract empire builders, and the cycle ends when the government starts to get as much grief from dealing with the body that they got before they started it, but it takes a few decades, or a brilliant, decisive politician.

I can see where Bruce is coming from; My view is that once the regulation is more or less complete, the regulators tend not to be able ti justify their empires so move to the realm of fiction and over-regulate based on nonsensical safety cases.

That may be true in the UK, but here in Australia CASA can go on forever re writing the rules, or as they say, bringing them up to date.I would like to have 1% of the money wasted by CASA in my retirement fund.