Another IMC terror story. . .

I bought a 1968 Renault 10 - four wheel disc brakes, rack and pinion steering - all the bulbs are original and they all work.....

Best car I ever owned in Australia was a Renault 16 TS. (1.6 Litre 4 cyl engine ) This had a steering column mounted manual gearshift ( I know,. . .column shift was very popular in OZ back then, whereas the Brits had dumped it in favour of floorshift years before in the early 1960s. . . ) It went like crap off a shanghai and everything worked. Nothing ever went wrong with it and it was totally reliable. I've never seen one since in the UK, so the model may have been an export only to the poor, underdeveloped colonies (!)

. . .He had a licence. . .I didn't. . .

Are certain about that Phil?From what you have related the chap did not have a license for IMC. You on the other hand have previously held such a license.

1@Phil Perry[/uSER] - wouldn’t worry about it. He would be pretty stupid to report it as he would be admitting a crime - intentionally flying into IMC without an appropriate licence/endorsement contravenes both the UK ANO and the SERA. Also if the Ikarus is not CoA then it will have to be individually certified by the LAA/CAA under permit rules to fly into IMC and my guess is he wouldn’t have it done so there is another crime.

Secondly, the law in the UK and Australia permits breaking the law to save life - a famous case with respect to the Zebrugge (sp?) ferry that sank I think dealt with that. Clearly, the flight was not being conducted safely and you took action to ensure it’s safe conduct. This was not a case of you freaking out as a flyophobe so You have a good defence.

As stated, this is his word against mine... all you would need to say is that once he saw the ice on the strut, he yielded control to you.

One day, Should he outgrow his arrogance, he will thank you,

Job well done,

I've never seen one since in the UK, so the model may have been an export only to the poor, underdeveloped colonies (!)

Yes, this convict's descendant had one too... at the venerable age of 15. Dad bought 2 for $500 so I bought one off him, even before I got my learner's licence, for $250.

Unfortunately even at that price it wasn't cost effective... after the first oil change someone (could have been me...) left the sump plug off and then took it for a long drive. I think it got about 50km before it stopped.

1@Phil Perry[/uSER] - wouldn’t worry about it. He would be pretty stupid to report it as he would be admitting a crime - intentionally flying into IMC without an appropriate licence/endorsement contravenes both the UK ANO and the SERA. Also if the Ikarus is not CoA then it will have to be individually certified by the LAA/CAA under permit rules to fly into IMC and my guess is he wouldn’t have it done so there is another crime.Secondly, the law in the UK and Australia permits breaking the law to save life - a famous case with respect to the Zebrugge (sp?) ferry that sank I think dealt with that. Clearly, the flight was not being conducted safely and you took action to ensure it’s safe conduct. This was not a case of you freaking out as a flyophobe so You have a good defence.

As stated, this is his word against mine... all you would need to say is that once he saw the ice on the strut, he yielded control to you.

One day, Should he outgrow his arrogance, he will thank you,

Job well done,

You are all too kind. This is an incident I'd rather forget TBH. My parting comment to him on the ground was, (apart from remaining clear of cloud ) was, "Watch that Ice mate,. you've seen how quickly it can build up" All I did was throttle back, level the wings and reduce the descent rate. I gave it back to him in around 10 minutes, after clearing the cloudbase, and didn't touch it again.

Our Aero club is hosting a GASCO presentation next Thursday ( Gen Aviation Safety Council ) I might well have a chat with the guys after the presentation is complete. .I'd like to think that someone could have even a quiet word with matey to help keep him in one piece. Then again, part of me doesn't want to stir the pudding too much. Sleeping dogs and all that. . .

Yes, this convict's descendant had one too... at the venerable age of 15. Dad bought 2 for $500 so I bought one off him, even before I got my learner's licence, for $250.Unfortunately even at that price it wasn't cost effective... after the first oil change someone (could have been me...) left the sump plug off and then took it for a long drive. I think it got about 50km before it stopped.

I loved that car so much I asked if there were any available at the local Renault dealer in Wolverhampton ( late 1983 ) bloke said "No such model Sir. . . . ." Oh well. . .I bought a Renault Trafic van, with rear seats and side windows. It was only 3 yrs old, with a dealer warranted 38K Miles on the clock.

In the first year, I had to replace the clutch, the gearbox, the turbocharger, a drive shaft coupling ( CV Joint ) and four wheel bearings. That was the LAST Renault 'anything' I ever bought.

I remember the R16TS review in Wheels magazine when the model first came out. They took it to Griffith, loaded the back with plonk then drove back at an indicated 103 mph. That is the speed I remember anyway. Always wanted one but had to stick to my Beetle.