Fatal Accident Laidley Qld

Guest Guest
Fair enough in regard to "low powered", but I beg to differ when it come to "trust our lives with". It's your wings/airframe you need to trust, never trust your engine, whether it's a 2 stroke a Lycoming or a Pratt & Whitney. If you choose to trust your life to an engine, it's all a gamble, just different odds.

The chances of an airframe failure compared to and engine failure are very small.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggest you give some actual thought to just how much power 65hp is when you’re flying a light weight airframe one up before you make comments. And compare that “low power” to what even a 100hp rotax powered fast plastic has per kg flying 1 up.

Given that zero information has surfaced as yet regarding the cause of this accident, I'd suggest that sweeping and unsupported statements regarding power or a lack thereof have little relevance at this point.

A stout effort to still be flying at 84, RIP fellow aviator.

as the pilot of a high drag low inertia aircraft (Drifter WB582) I can attest to the reaction from the aircraft when pulling the throttle - without my instructor in the back, when I did so at the end of downwind I thought I'd hit a brick wall...

no big deal, I was taught that it was going to happen so I was ready for it when it did - every time I fly I thank my lucky stars I was taught by a Drifter Legend

as for the pilot at the centre of this discussion, all I can say is what I always do - condolences to his family and all who knew him - for him, it's clear skies and tailwinds forever

RIP m8

BP

Sorry guys I think i started a argument with my what engine question. I didnt mean any mallace was just curious

Not your fault at all mate, the insensativety of the falling apples[gravity] comments are what has got peoples goats up mate.....

I don't think it matters if it's a sleek fast machine or a slow draggy one, if it hits the ground in a manner it's not designed for then theres every chance the outcome will not be good. At this stage not much is known except the type of plane and the pilot. Let's just wait and see what an investigation reveals and in the mean time consider ourselves fortunate that we are still alive to enjoy flying.

To the family and friends left behind , be sure to know that our thoughts are with you, and that he will no doubt be sorely missed.

I was wondering when a disagreement was going to appear. I'm 69 with a 52 hp Rotax. Started in '78. Both of you have valid points.

Suggest you give some actual thought to just how much power 65hp is when you’re flying a light weight airframe one up before you make comments. And compare that “low power” to what even a 100hp rotax powered fast plastic has per kg flying 1 up.

I knew the guy personally' and had flown one of his Genesis. Wonderful man in superb health for his age! The Genesis I flew of his did not fly well at that stage, 3 years ago. He was a wonderful man, and will be deeply missed by all that knew him.

I'm a Big proponent of living now & not saving for retirement. Problem is, I got retired & my not saving has got me so broke I can't pay attention. That said, I think about all the people who saved & saved & saved dreaming of a nice ultralight & flying off into the sunset.....and died in a car wreck at 30 or 40 or 50 or 60. So, I'm broke but happy!...and not dead....yet.

Some of us still do fly "real ultralights" ;) [ATTACH=full]54516[/ATTACH]

I knew the guy personally' and had flown one of his Genesis. Wonderful man in superb health for his age! The Genesis I flew of his did not fly well at that stage, 3 years ago. He was a wonderful man, and will be deeply missed by all that knew him.

Is this the guy who originally imported the Genesis???

I knew Ray, he was a careful pilot who too no risks. I;m not sure how long he held his GA licence for but many many years. He had flown ultralights for 20 years I know of. and flew most weeks, current and careful.

good bye old mate.

Hmm I agree. Piper cub comes to mind. ?65 hp seems about right. Don’t see any lack of power there. Now let’s drop the weight. Kasper I agree completely

Kasper!

Quick story on the power of 65 horses.

Took off in my old 65 hp Drifter, engine failure at 300 feet, landed straight ahead no problem. Key word is takeoff...see if you can figure it out before I finish the story.

Landed okay, got out, looked it over, got to thinking, "I wonder if this sucker will start?"

Had a B box, no starter, gave it a turn or two by hand, WENT WIDE ASS OPEN! Horizontal stab hit me, knocked me flat on my back, going down I was able to grab the port stabilizer, from that point on I went round & round like I weighed 10 pounds, my usual is 195. As the nose came around for the third time I came up with a plan, turn it loose as a line of bushes come into view.

I had to plan it as the spin was very fast but turned it loose, it took off immediately, climbed to about 6 feet, bushes being only 20 feet away, grabbed it, didn't flip over by a miracle.

I got up, ran over, cut the throttle and ignition. Talk about lucky and the power of 65 horses and the stupidity of not thinking through an action. I actually thought I would be able to hold it until somebody showed up to help. No friggin' way!

Takeoff! Motor had quit. Throttle was still wide open!

VZM.IMG_20161211_222554.jpg.fedc4322ca54ef6e5b5d7e28946dbd58.jpg

Kasper!..see if you can figure it out before I finish the story.

Takeoff! Motor had quit. Throttle was still wide open!

Yep - saw that one coming. And i've see similar go very wrong:

That was at Mangalore back in the 1990's ... and at 4 seconds in you can see a very young me behind the safety fence as the tail comes down and it heads for the crowd. It had already done I think two circles off the starting chocks and knocked him down twice before this film starts - fortunately no serious injury but I have since that day been 100% cautious whenever I hand prop any aircraft.