Last regular Flying Boat Service in Australia

Phil Perry

Great video Phil . So thought provoking and nostalgic . I’m lucky in that we have an airworthy Catalina that lives at of our local airfields and the sight and sound of her is something to behold . Loved the shot of the captain smoking his pipe . Am I right in thinking that one of the last Sandringhams flew and landed on the Solent perhaps 30yrs ago ? .

Great video Phil . So thought provoking and nostalgic . I’m lucky in that we have an airworthy Catalina that lives at of our local airfields and the sight and sound of her is something to behold . Loved the shot of the captain smoking his pipe . Am I right in thinking that one of the last Sandringhams flew and landed on the Solent perhaps 30yrs ago ? .

I can't conform or deny that mate,. . . if it happened,. . .somehow,. . .I didn't hear about it !. . . . .must've bin out of the bloody country to miss that. . . this is quite possible however,. . . i'm always flitting about in europe as 'Semi-useful ballast' with somebody or other. . . (Tryna keep them out of the white puffy stuff )

Brings back so many memories - sitting in class overlooking Rose Bay watching the operations (don't remember so much about the class !!)

Hi Phil,

Thought you might like the giant photo that adorns my lounge room wall. (Sorry mate, should have called it the sitting room) 004_oh_yeah.gif.138bad2925a1e956b63ce847119413ca.gif113421849_VH-BRFlandingatLordHowein1974002.JPG.7d680876ba7170a6cd59d750248aed93.JPG

VH-BRF landing at Lord Howe Island back in 1974.

Kind Regards, Planey.

Lounge room sounds ok to me Phil .

My mate Mr Google has confirmed what I had suspected , and that is that VH-BRC landed at Calshot UK in February 1981and since lived at the SkySolent museum in all its glory . It is “Beachcomber “as shown in the video . I do remember it’s arrival in the UK , but have yet to see in in its present state .

Dave

When I was a kid, my uncle who was pretty wealthy and who owned one of the Islands in Poole Harbour, took us out on his boat and we came right alongside a couple of flying boats moored there. I was too young to know exactly what type they were, but we were allowed on board and had a look around. Sadly they were moored there temporarily before going to be scrapped. I'd guess that would have been around 1952 or 3?

Just found this on Google for anyone inthttp://archive.pooleflyingboats.com/10%20A%20Flying%20Boat%20Finale%20at%20Poole%20from%201953.pdferested in the old flying boats.

It was interesting to me, hope it is to others.

When those flying boats took off from Rose Bay the local kids in their little sailboats would vie to get the closest, despite the efforts of security boats trying to shoo them out of the path of the aircraft.One little bugger of a kid managed to get right in line with the huge Sunderland, which lifted off just in time, drenching him and his mate as it passed overhead. He survived the incandescent rage of the aging security bloke ("the nearest to a heart attack I've ever seen...") and later went on to a life of flying adventures.

Thanks, Phil. I'll show him this video clip.

Lounge room sounds ok to me Phil .My mate Mr Google has confirmed what I had suspected , and that is that VH-BRC landed at Calshot UK in February 1981and since lived at the SkySolent museum in all its glory . It is “Beachcomber “as shown in the video . I do remember it’s arrival in the UK , but have yet to see in in its present state .Dave

That explains why I didn't see it Dave,. . .I didn't leave OZ until 1983 ! ! !