Old Grasshopper problem

Barry Parker

I am 84 this October. Had a Grasshopper way back when. Took it to Bundarra to have a new prop made by the late Gordon Bedson (resurgam builder).After a faulty start I noticed that he was carving a Puller prop, instead of a pusher. Corrected problem, fitted prop, took off. Flew over rocky timbered area, BANG! big noise shake. Engine off assume glide attitude. 150 feet to ground. look for widest gap between trees. Trees appeared to move further apart as I got closer. Got through to very long grass. touched down then, Thud! Both wheel struts had gone into a table drain and snapped off. Got out and found that the starter pull cord retainer must have not retracted after starting and unwound. The heavy hard rubber cord handle had moved back far enough to catch the new prop. That took a chunk out of the wood prop, out of balance caused shaking, so it wasn't just me. Made another new prop and Col put new struts on, All Ok after that. Hint to any new owner. Make a retainer hook so starter cord cannot unwind and reach turning prop. Any item that comes out of a Grasshopper will fly back into prop. for more info email [email protected] I can't work out computers yet.grasshopper450.jpg.0fdaaa4b2430dad908fc4459d06dd35d.jpg

grasshopper450x.jpg.8ef9170da69dcb1b226ec357248a7b9d.jpg

I had a Sander Veenstra (SV11, pusher prop) and had the same problem. The handle and cord got sucked into prop with the same result. A big bang and I looked to the side watching the tips of the prop drop into the paddock below. The engine was switched off almost before the bang and I had to land in the paddock below which was home to a rather ugly looking bull. Only damage doe was the prop and pull start handle. The prop now hangs on the wall!

My whing ding did same couple months ago. It had a retainer but somehow one screw came out and starter cord and rubber handle went into prop. Now have to make new prop (you can just make out the handle in its retainer behind my left arm/shoulder IMG_2462.JPG.84c4e5abf1ce57258850dc7f2dbb59b6.JPG

My whing ding did same couple months ago. It had a retainer but somehow one screw came out and starter cord and rubber handle went into prop. Now have to make new prop (you can just make out the handle in its retainer behind my left arm/shoulder [ATTACH=full]54762[/ATTACH]

Get those fat tyres off it and skinny down to yer daks and you stand a good chance of getting it into (but not out of) ground effect.:cheezy grin:Well done Flyer - good to see it looking like an aircraft again. cheers

Seeing that photo of flyerme in the Wing Ding took me back 30 years or so when a friend of mine was asked to test fly one for an aquantance who built one but could not fly, reluctantly my friend agreed - and on taxiing it he refused to get it off the ground fearing the worst. I don’t think it ever flew- apparently having multiple proplems to overcome.

Have you flown yours flyerme? If not - I don’t need to tell you to proceed with caution if you ever try.

• 2 weeks later...

Ray, about 35 years ago when we were mucking around with my lpg powered pressure jet engines, you had an almost complete Stingray kit in your hangar. Did that ever get finished?

Yes, it got finished and was recently sold again in Victoria. I was flown reasonably frequently and it still looked like new. The new owner may sell it

if you are interested. It has a Rotax 503 on it. Contact me for his phone number. Ray [email protected]

Hi FlyVulcan,

Yes, how can I ever forget the noise generated by that pressure jet engine!!!! and the fearsome/ awesome flames coming out of it!

The only louder thing I have heard is my GrassHopper with a Robin 440 engine driving a supersonic 4 bladed prop. Even with a full face

helmet a short flight left me with ringing in my ears for hours afterwards and nausea. I got noise complaints from further away from where

I got them with your diabolical jet! I hope you are still going well,

Ray

Hi FlyVulcan,Yes, how can I ever forget the noise generated by that pressure jet engine!!!! and the fearsome/ awesome flames coming out of it!The only louder thing I have heard is my GrassHopper with a Robin 440 engine driving a supersonic 4 bladed prop. Even with a full face

helmet a short flight left me with ringing in my ears for hours afterwards and nausea. I got noise complaints from further away from where

I got them with your diabolical jet! I hope you are still going well,

Ray

Still going well Ray and still dabbling in turbines (www.turb.aero). Next time I’m in Sydney, I’ll come visit you at Camden. My engines and your aircraft could be a good mix.

Dave