MicroAir Radio Transceivers - JUNK and Zero Support

20 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

As I said earlier, I bought a "smoother" for operating a radio from a 4wd. It worked fine for 20 years and it was cheaper than the powermate. I would have been happy to use a powermate but I'm so cheap that I thought he spent too much on advertising.

I reckon I need something similar for the microair on the 230... Size doesn't matter, but cost and weight sure do. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Bruce, in their installation Microair recommend a power filter be fitted to eliminate EMI noise & one is suggested called a NF-5 with a picture of it. I could not find these anywhere & Microair were no help at all (they did answer the phone back in 2014). I put in a Mar-Ace marine radio noise filter I got from a local boat shop but it was completely useless so threw it out. I eventually found an in line power filter I think on Ebay from China. It was physically quite big (about 100mm x 50mm cylinder shape) compared to the Microair recommended one that I couldn't get but I managed to find a space on the back of the panel next to the radio. It weighs bugger all. Before the filter I was getting engine induced noise & the filter got rid of this. 

Other than that I replaced all the radio wiring with single core coax & ferrite chokes for eliminating RFI noise on the cables at the DB15 connector to the radio, the headset jacks & terminated all the earths back at the radio. I didn't have antenna issues as my aircraft is full metal jacket.

• Informative 1

I have to admit, you electronics guys inhabit a different world for someone whose knowledge of electronics is negligible.  My greatest achievement was to build a crystal set that worked when I was about 13, although I had no idea how it actually functioned. It motivated me to look at valve radio circuits in a book my dad had in an effort to build something better, but that went nowhere.  To this day I'm amazed that anyone can figure out how those black boxes work, how to track down problems when they don't, and how to design new products.  I'm glad someone knows how it all works.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2