A time now sadly gone,

bull

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen anything from ELAAA supporting this grass roots sector.As I have said many times when we are up and trading you will have everything in the written word.

If we display the written word or mention anything at the moment -- just imagine the noise and the potential to change is ever present.

KP

• 2 weeks later...

YES! I love to build. And the idea of flying an airplane I built gets me so fired up that I want to sell the house to finance the project. ( I have purchased plans) I have built fairly large flying models in the past. I am confident i can build myself an aircraft. Kinda like eating an elephant. One bite at a time till it's complete. EAA here in the USA is a great place to start. There are so MANY different kits and plans out there to choose from. Pick what you want, from general aviation to light sport to ultra lights. Just don't decide to build because your main goal is to fly cheap.

Build a plane if you have a passion to build. First determine if you have or can acquire the necessary skills. 

It's a wise man who knows when NOT to open the tool box... 

I have two nieces, late teens. One has not made a career decision yet. (common for some crazy reason) the other wants to be a chef. I tell her, great! Learn to be the best chef there is, but don't forget to learn to fly! She looks a me like the funny old uncle that I am. Till she sees the dead serious look in my eye. I think the thought has been planted. I would hate for them to miss out due to financial issues or frivolous endeavors. 

Guest Guest

It's an interesting topic, in a nutshell it's the way of the future and GA isn't part of it! In 20+ years or so a lot of those older enthusiastic builder/owners currently active in a dying scene will be gone or not in a position to be at the coal face. Like others have said there is a lot of activities gaining traction for the youth of today (sports and entertainment  technology) aviation simply isn't one of them in numbers that matter. The days of advancement and enthusiasm at the home grown level is now left with advanced technology manuafacturers of light a/c which are getting beyond the reach of most. CASA obviously are also one of the largest nails in the GA coffin, they simply use the word 'safety' to subdued aviation. 

I made a career out of aviation but am so glad my children showed no interest whilst growing up, they had interests elsewhere, they dodged a bullet there!

The way of the future!

A Nicaragua bird like the magpie. (m) ??

Cheers for that Soleair, much appreciated.  Think I had the spelling wrong and it was meant to be "Senate" or something.  It was pinched from a puff piece where it didn't make sense there either. Cheers

Not only are us Older one's getting thin on the hanger-apron, there's going to be lots of aircraft mothballed due to the inevitable cost of fuel raising beyond our & Your reach.

THEN my Great Grand children, will wheel out that frugal HummleBird,  And at 60 miles per US gallon. Go for a  45 minute flight in the EMPTY sky. ( four litre's (one gallon, per hour)).

That would be a dream flight.

Not mine but FRUGAL isn't it.

spacesailor  

...there's going to be lots of aircraft mothballed due to the inevitable cost of fuel raising beyond our & Your reach...

Sundry info...

Methane Hydrate. Japan, China and others are spending large amounts of money getting a methane hydrate refining industry up and running. Methane hydrate can be made into engine fuel. Working off the current known reserves and present rate of world usage of petroleum they reckon there is about 10,000 years supply of methane hydrate. There is no shortage of energy on this planet - only a shortage of common sense.

As with anything out of China - Fuel will cost mere cents...

Cow dung can be used as fuel too; there are literally hundreds of products which can be turned into fuel for internal combustion engines, however in relation to the down to earth subject of this thread, buying a can of two stroke to fill the fuel tank of the type of aircraft bull was talking about is neither expensive, nor difficult.

This thread has at times shown flickers of making a difference; "the time" is not even close to having gone, with plenty of aircraft still flying out there and plenty of others in sheds able to fly after refurbishment.

It just needs people to promote the sector, and it needs RAA to get out there and support what it was set up for.

It doesn't surprise me that flying is becoming less popular with younger people, The cost is high and all people nowadays seem to want instant gratification. They don't want to have to work at something to achieve their ends.

We see the same in all walks of life, there is absolutely no interest in maintaining cars, or gardening, very little interest in bushwalking and even less in eating a healthy meal instead of rubbish from a fast food joint.

One ray of enlightenment, the grand daughter of a friend of mine definitely wants to become a pilot, she has just started training in New Zealand. Hopefully that will be better than in Australia.

Yenn.

My sister-in-law's grandson is now a commercial pilot. did it in the UK, but had to go to NZ to gain his hours.

Fuel shortage,

In NZ they had a three week fuel outage, (not shipped from Australia) & the "general public" NO fuel, Shift workers alternate week. LAWYER'S UNLIMITED as doctors, fire'ies And essential services.

NO PRIVATE FLYING AT ALL

post-script

ACCIDENTS NIL.

spacesaIlor

th?id=OIP.VyMBXIKUj1BgAAKL7FR4_QHaF0%26w=150%26h=110%26c=8%26rs=1%26qlt=90%26pid=3.1%26rm=2&key=6d1f6a299dca7cc54afbcb2bdd7a4e1cfab006f00ae1ef02c69807e07959b1ef           YES I SEE IT NOW !.
    Gas powered aircraft, If  they had used Hydrogen, the springs wouldn't' have SAGGED.  LOL spacesailor

•  

Perhaps this is the "Gas-powered" aircraft you would see in the far future. People are still "working" (dreamer's) on this concept. Saw a "Mantaray" shaped one, with flapping wing to propel it
    spacesailor
    th?id=OIP.NQzXmIrm8b4yNpIZYClHuAHaE7%26w=294%26h=195%26c=7%26o=5%26pid=1.7&key=151664459189800a817e11fc0ad23e53103814e94772084bba6c454071179b7a