NOTAM language confusion

Bill

Current YBTH notam (below) indicates the RAAF cadets have a gliding camp in progress. Power traffic circuits for Rwy 17/ 35 at YBTH are now permanently to the East (ie RH circuits on Rwy 35, LH on 17). Can someone explain what is meant by " ... RWY 17/35 NON-INDEPENDENT CONTRA CCTS. PARL RWY OPS NOT PERMITTED" Thanks, Bill

BATHURST (YBTH)

C22/18 REVIEW C21/18

INCREASED GFY DUE AIR FORCE CADET CAMP

GLIDERS AND TUGS WILL BCST ON AND MNT CTAF 127.35 WI 10NM AD

RWY 17/35 NON-INDEPENDENT CONTRA CCTS. PARL RWY OPS NOT PERMITTED

RECOMMENDED CCT JOIN ON UPWIND OR DOWNWIND TO AVOID THE GLD CCT

RWY 08/26 GLIDERS AND TUGS WILL OCCUPY RWY FOR MNM TIME DRG LAUNCH

AND RECOVERY AND WILL REMAIN CLEAR OF FLT STRIP AT OTHER TIMES

PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES NOT RECOMMENDED DRG GFY

GLIDER LAUNCHES WILL NOT TAKE PLACE DURING REGULAR PUBLIC TRANSPORT

(RPT) OPS CTC AIR FORCE CADETS TEL: 0421 030 025 OR 0408 443 009

FROM 04 101954 TO 04 280751 HJ

There is a full stop in the middle so two separate sentences.

RWY 17/35 NON-INDEPENDENT CONTRA CCTS. = There will be gliders doing circuits to the opposite side of the airstrip, that means that aircraft may be head to head on base/turning final to line up on the same runway so keep a very good lookout, especially for aircraft already on final!!!!

PARL RWY OPS NOT PERMITTED = parallel runway operation not permitted ie 2 aircraft landing side by side, as might be common at a gliding location like Narromine where the grass runways are very wide.

There is a phone number at the end of the NOTAM, I am sure they would appreciate a call in advance if you have any queries. Easier to sort out before hand while still on the ground.

Thanks for the explanation. The word "NON-INDEPENDENT" is what caused the confusion (for me & 2 others). Replacing it with SIMUL (simultaneous) would have been preferable. And btw, we rang the number given (no answer), left a voice mail msg requesting a call back & 4 days later - still no response.

And btw, we rang the number given (no answer), left a voice mail msg requesting a call back & 4 days later - still no response.

That's poor form. I would of hoped that they responded.

What a stupid relic from the old days of teletype machines it is to use these turgid abbreviations when they are no longer necessary.

I bet this stupidity has caused unnecessary accidents.

I wonder what it will take to make them use plain words. In the meantime we need a translation machine.

What a stupid relic from the old days of teletype machines it is to use these turgid abbreviations when they are no longer necessary.I bet this stupidity has caused unnecessary accidents..I wonder what it will take to make them use plain words. In the meantime we need a translation machine.

Speaking as the author of PEMET ...

Trouble with trying to translate NOTAMs is there is no standard. People just sort of make up abbreviations and format stuff however they feel like. TAF/METAR OTOH follow (sort of) an ICAO (sort of) standard. I know it is sort of because my NZ translator needed a lot of hacking to work for Oz. Canadian ones were a bit different too. ARFORs weren't too bad, although the formats were quite different. Madness, but real aviators understand all of it of course ....