Gyrocopter missing 18 April 2018 North of Bundaberg Qld

"IT'S been almost 24-hours since a 78-year-old pilot went missing on a journey that was only meant to take two hours.

With no confirmed sightings of the aircraft since it left the Bundaberg airstrip at 1.45pm yesterday rescue crews are working tirelessly.

Six rescue helicopters from across the state are still searching for the missing pilot and gyrocopter.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority revealed the pilot took off from Booyan Airstrip, 22 kilometres north of Bundaberg, at 1.45pm yesterday on a trip to Farnborough just north of Yeppoon - a regular route for the 78-year-old.

BREAKING: More assets join desperate search for pilot

Sad loss and it is in a fairly well settled area, so several people must have heard or seen him. If he was going over Gladstone he would have been wireless equipped, but obviously never gave a distress call.

My first thought when I heard of the missing plane was that the temptation to fly a lot of the way over water would make the search difficult, but he obviously took the safe route.

Ozrunways or Avplan work so well in this situation I reckon they should be mandatory

Mandatory!!!!! What, do you work for CASA or something? I’ll go with recommended, but too much mandatory already.