MARYBOROUGH Military Aviation Museum QLD

At Maryborough Airport in Queensland a New Military Aviation Museum has been formed and we are looking for any aviation material you may have hidden away in storage somewhere.

If anyone has any parts of aircraft or airforce memorabilia pertaining to the Maryborough Wireless Training base during the second world war, please contact me by PM

One main aircraft that the museum is focusing on is the CAC Wackett Trainer, so if anyone has a spare plane sitting in their old shed (any condition is OK) or any parts from one please let us know.

Any donations of memorabilia would be greatly appreciated as this is a not for profit organisation.

2035793240_MaryboroughMilitaryMuseumlogo.png.7ff551abbdbbbd5239e8a1fbd53635c9.png

Wackett_trainer_(AWM_AC0154).jpg.2413cd096c225b4b6f8cfb9d158a52a3.jpg

Maryborough has a section in the book Queensland Airfields WW2 - 50 Years On, Roger R Marks, self published Brisbane 1994, ISBN 0 646 12769 1

Its a comprehensive 280 page book documenting a life time's study. Roger was a civil engineer who lived and worked over a wide range of Qld towns, including Maryborough and had an interest in aviation from an early age. I met him, at a fly-in somewhere 1994-1995 with the HARS (I bought a flying jacket) and he sold me a signed copy - No.1,407 - so it's not that special. But I have read it many times and it is getting dog eared, as I moved around Western Qld building roads and using airstrips. It's a small world - I believe Roger had a prang with a motorcycle about 1962 in Maryborough - I married the motorcyclist with the broken leg 46 years later.

Mr FV's father used to fly a Gypsy Moth out of Maryborough. He was a pupil of Cyril Brett (Brisbane) and a member of the Maryborough Club. He got his licence in 1932 and flew down to Sydney the day after the Harbour Bridge was opened. Unfortunately he is deceased. Marriage and 7 children put an end to his flying in the 1940's, so his children don't remember much.

Recommend the book. Will keep an eye out for memorabilia. Unfortunately Mr FV (hoarder extraordinaire) doesn't have a CAC Wackett squirrelled away in his multiple sheds. Good Luck.

• 8 months later...

Yesterday I helped move the Maryborough Military Aviation Museum to a shopfront in Maryborough CBD.  It will be open, initially, on Thursday mornings at 108 Bazaar Street Maryborough Qld (between the Cane Growers Assoc and Hotel Carlton).  The aircraft being restored are still in a hangar at the airport, but this at least will make the rest of the collection available to the public until the dedicated museum building is erected at the airport.

If you are passing through Maryborough, drop in and see us.  MMAM have a facebook page with contacts.  Best to call first to be sure someone will be available to open the shop.

https://www.facebook.com/Maryborough-Military-Aviation-Museum-1766531723608433/

• Like 2