New member, lousy pilot, getting ready to build an experimental (Sling 2, Arion Lightning XS, or RV-

Guest langted

Guest langted

Hi Everyone: This looks like an interesting forum, hoping to pick up some insights here.

I am a recently retired mechanical engineer, RC modeller, 61 years, 6' 220lbs, and got my private ticket about 8 years ago. Mostly, I fly a Citabria 7ECA (tailwheel with about a 95 mph IAS cruise). I'd like to say I'm a great pilot, but alas, certainly nothing to support any such claim except no accidents. I want to start an experimental build later this Summer (2018). I am a little torn between ELSA, and normal experimental (I want the speed, but also sensitive to how many years I might still be able to fly). Looking for any experiences anyone might have with the following aircraft, or with rotax or jabiru engines:

--Sling 2, Rotax powered. I love every aspect of this plane EXCEPT the LSA speed limit cruise of under 130 mph. Excellent kit/instructions, reasonable number flying, reasonable build time, big cockpit, sliding canopy, robust landing gear.

--RV-9 Probably everybody knows this airplane. Speed is great (~175 TAS cruise), cockpit OK, but very long build time. Interested mostly in inputs about how long it will really take to complete for "quickbuild" version, possibly with panel assistance. I am afraid I might die before I ever complete that airplane (or at least loose a lot of prime years-- I'd like to finish in no more than 2 years).

--Arion Lightning: Fast enough, Lots of power choices (lycoming, UL, Jabiru ( for either LSA or EXP), appears to be a great plane, VERY quick build, but concerned with number flying, whether gear is sufficiently robust, and whether the Jabiru engine, if chosen, is reliable. I visited Arion and flew the O-320 version. Nice flight, but not permitted to land it.

After setting up a spreadsheet of options, it appears to me that all of these airplanes come in at about the same final price.

Thanks in advance for comments

Ted

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest langted

RV12s are very nice indeed, However, I was generally wanting a faster airplane than an LSA (I was targeting a minimum of about 145 mph IAS). However, in the Sling, besides the very nice slide canopy, pushrod controls, and the rest, there is also a build center near me. I don't know how much I might want/need them, but it is a factor. So the scale tips to the sling if going the LSA route. On the plus side of the LSA types, it IS a LITTLE faster than my citabria, side by side, and MUCH more comfortable. By the way, when my wife sat in the sling she said "Oh, I LIKE this airplane" followed up with... "where could we go in it?". That was a FIRST, rather than the usual,"flying is a rich mans hobby" and "you'll never finish the project anyway". That said, I fell for it too-- it just seems to "fit". IF only it wasn't so slow. .

The 120 kt sea level LSA limit applies in the USA, but not here. The Sling has twice the fuel capacity of the RV12, although full tanks, 2 people and baggage will put it over the 600kg LSA weight limit. That won’t matter if you build it as VH experimental since it’s designed to the VLA standard which allows 700kg AUW. If it’s going on the RAAus register, you will be limited to 600kg.

Guest langted
Buy a partial RV kit and save lots of time and money. Do you like to fly or build? Now is the time to decide.

If I were to build the RV-9, it would be a quick build or MAYBE a partially completed kit if I liked what was done. In the meantime, I'm still flying the citabria (This is a club plane that gets very little use-- so little I think of it like my own.) I look forward to the building, but I DO want to finish in sufficient time to fly it for many years as well; I'm guessing that I will be good to fly until age 70 or so (9 more years). Most of the RV projects I have seen seem to take 4 years minimum, and some much longer. I would be happy with 4hrs a day or so for 1-1/2 to 2 years. That seems in line with Vans quick build claims, but their claims appear to be way too optimistic. Right now, I am tending toward the Arion Lightning XS --- very nice plane and seems to meet all the attributes I was looking for.

...when my wife sat in the sling she said "Oh, I LIKE this airplane" followed up with... "where could we go in it?".

There you go... answered. Always go with the wishes of the Minister of War and Finance, AKA She Who Must Be Obeyed.

At those speeds you can get some pretty rough flights on a warm day. Also you outlanding safely becomes less of a real possibility. What's wrong with the 7- ECA?  Nev

At age 61, I would rule out any aircraft that could not be flown with an LSA licence. The losses from aging are unpredictable and irreversible. If it is going to take four years to build, I would choose a (LSA) kit that will be enjoyable to build. I would not bother trying to build a fast aircraft. By the time you spend four years building it, any performance gains will be lost. A slower aircraft will be easier to fly. Disclaimer: I have 25 hrs only. I have built a tree house but not built an aeroplane.  

G'day Ted and welcome - don't put yaself down by telling us you're a lousy pilot mate - at one stage during training I wrote in my logbook "wasting my time, real thoughts of not being able to succeed" - and now? 

I landed my Drifter a while ago and the landing was not good - I pulled up at the club hangar, walked in and said "anybody see my landing?"

A voice from somewhere in the hangar called out "which one"....

Mate, some days you're the windscreen, some days you're the bug....

Boleropilot

THAT "which one" comment has been around a long time. The actual landing is only one part of flying but it attracts the most attention, and comment. On a lot of middle eastern airlines the passengers clap the landing. I suppose the "we survived this one" feeling is worth applause.  

Did you bend an undercarriage leg? Then It wasn't THAT bad. Not hard to bend one on a drifter. Nev

no mate didn't bend one that time but have certainly done so in my earlier hours of Drifter driving - got two brand new ones on for the big refurb, only waiting for the recon prop and the throttle cables now......btw, Kiwi was the "which one" culprit

and speaking of Kiwi, Grummo told me that Kiwi is the only Flying Tigers member who has joined the Mile High Club....in a Drifter!!!!  When I said I was impressed, he said "you shouldn't be - he was flying solo at the time"....

BP

• Haha 1