• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mmm.

“Nothing to see here!  Go back to your homes”

it doesn’t  have a date on it but I’ll assume it’s recent. This is the situation that has existed for only some specific flying training  Organizations for a long time that are located in Class D ( often historic - in that the FTO existed before the Class D did. For example Parafield was GAAP airspace once not Class D. 

but is not a fixed statute ( just an instrument) and could be taken away at any time. If a FTO closed down there is no certainty that another coming along could take its place nor could that FTO go to a different Class D and with certainty start up again. 

but there’s a lot of important details that essentially remove it from the sphere of discussion here that the topic has drifted to. 

Its not opening CTA to RAAus pilots. 

Its Class D only not Class C 

its ONLY for aircraft completely owned by a FTS not for a pilot who owns their own. 

Its only for LSA or certificated aircraft wholly owned by the FTO. You could not cross hire your aircraft to the FTO and then go and hire it back to go flying. 

The medical required is a normal GA medical. 

Even if you fulfill all theses requirements there is no capacity for the pilot to fly to another CTA and enter that. 

So while  your topic is true in a very narrow and specifically defined situation the major discussion is actually about free entry and usage of any CTA by RAAus pilots. And readers should not be influenced to think there is anything happened around the info you’ve posted. 

Hardly a "truckload on new regulation"Plenty will like the ability to modify cert and LSA aircraft - they previously couldn't - and keep them flying.

For others is only major modifications

10 min online quiz for L1? not that tough

I guess that if you're the sort of person that just goes and buys a factory built aircraft, it probably means nothing, but for those that have been a round for some years and play with amateur built , they are BIG changes, and a PITA.

I guess that if you're the sort of person that just goes and buys a factory built aircraft, it probably means nothing, but for those that have been a round for some years and play with amateur built , they are BIG changes, and a PITA.

And completely unsupported by a safety need per any accident and incident data ... and other countries look at what we had and have moved towards it.

we have lost a lot of the freedoms and they have been given up hand over fist by the current RAAus management to either

1. placate casa on prior failures of admin - that did not actually cause death and destruction so it was ADMIN failure not functional safety failure; or

2. To show just how “good” RAAus can be in GA terms in the attempt to effectively subsume non-commercial GA

And in this - in my opinion madness - all RAAus aircraft are increasingly being treated exactly the same.  Factory with type certificate.  Factory LSA.  Home built from kit. Self design from the back of an envelope.  ALL being treated the same. 

And frankly its insane to have a situation we have today that I can and have designed and built several aircraft without any issue of having or holding an L1 maintenance authority but as soon as it’s registered I’m not allowed to maintain it. 

Equally i I can design and build register and fly my 95.10 aircraft BUT if I desire to modify it after it’s registered then RAAus tech who have never seen it and nobody other than me has or ever will fly it have to approve my use of it after mod. 

The number of regulation changes brought in by RAAus tech are not large in number but their impacts are very large and completely inconsistent with what RAAus aircraft were and what they should still be. 

The sooner the tech manager manages to transition to CASA the better.  And the sooner the CEO considers his stint with us is long enough in his CV to move to a bigger charity the better. 

"The sooner the tech manager manages to transition to CASA the better.  And the sooner the CEO considers his stint with us is long enough in his CV to move to a bigger charity the better."

If be bends over far enough for CASA he might even get a position on the CASA Board. Which body has been conspicuous for its invisibility and lack of actually doing anything. I mentioned earlier that a serving GFA President went straight to the CASA Board upon resignation.

To me, it is becoming increasingly apparent, with the details of mtow increase and cta access now coming out, the RAA has a rampant empire building agenda.

Basically at the expense of current members and aircraft owners, they are doing whatever it takes to take as much of the GA/GA EXP pie that they can shovel into their mouths.

I have seen a few clubs go that way. The club starts training and hiring aircraft (ostensibly for the members), then the members become sidelined and it becomes all about the business and making money.

Funny really, progressively more people are coming to realise the major mistake we made a couple of years ago.  At some stage enough will realise what is happening, hopefully before it’s too late to regain control of what was once a members organisation.   The horse may have already bolted though.

Funny really, progressively more people are coming to realise the major mistake we made a couple of years ago.  At some stage enough will realise what is happening, hopefully before it’s too late to regain control of what was once a members organisation.   The horse may have already bolted though.

maybe a few more - but the GA new entrants outweigh the older member org ultralight group - its too late really

fred/ oh deary me I hate to be the one to say I told you so 

I personally  cut araa plane in half because of the so called leaders so called progressive look what I am doing to make life miserable for the members

when I said to the current CEO that l1 questions are to easy his reply and I quote "that is so every one can pass unquote" 

the current tec asked by me when are you going to make those  fitting off rotax motors do it asper the rotax manual his reply was quote" don't make waves" un quote 

I have said anything that comes from raaus get it in writing and until its in the manual you cant do it neil 

What mistakes?  The CFIs still run the joint.

maybe a few more - but the GA new entrants outweigh the older member org ultralight group - its too late really

I suspect that's not true; the people who created the RAA boom, which occurred as GA was dying, to to let's say 8000, and they haven't gone away, it's just that in social media only a very few surface to defend what they built, and a few others, who went from GA to RAA still trying to do the same type of flying they used to do, also regularly post their opinions. That's not a measure of where the critical mass is. In fact there is a picture, right or wrong, emerging of pilots who fly in GA until they are no longer medically fit to fly,  then get into RA using the driver's licence parachute, and sooner or later there's going to be a come to Jesus moment where someone in Government says to CASA "What have you done!" you can already see the wriggle room changes starting to adversely affect RA flying. When black and white starts to become grey, things can go either way.

This blaming GA pilots for the troubles of RAAus is not going to do anything to help. I came from GA, but I also stayed in GA and now I fly both. The problems here are that a lot of people seem to want to live in the past and not allow others to fly more modern types of plane. RAAus and its predecessor AUF both allowed GA type planes onto the register, in fact one of the previous staff of RAAus allowed aircraft on to the register that shouldn't have been allowed. The board stood by not realising what was happening, but CASA was not impressed. That was when the board was composed of members, representing the states.

If we want change we will have to influence the board members and now is a great time to do it, as there is a call for nominations. A great chance for you to make a change for the better?

We can sit back and grumble to each other on this forum, or we can try to change things, by stirring the pot.

Having flown both for many years, I find RAA today suits my needs while CASA make GA very difficult. I would not want RAA to change, as any change is likely to alienate CASA and bring their inflexibility into the recreational flying area. RAA is very professional which it needs to be to maintain the buffer for us.

There is a call for nominations is there?

id never know it because RAAus AGAIN failed to send me anything about it - despite me being probablybrge only member of RAAus who cannot legally be notified of ANYTHING under the constitution by electronic means. 

It jyst meabs like like the last two elections THEY ARE DEFECTIVE and I tell the RAAus this each year and all I get is so sue us. 

Great organisation 

and just for fun WHERE are the rules for this election on the members portal?   Not there.  

Where is any information on the RAAus website? Not there. 

And because RAAus  are not allowed to use electronic comms with me I’m a member without any actual knowledge of the election. 

The organisation is running as management want it to. Regardless of rules they themselves wrote and got through members votes. 

So so I suppose my weekend will be spent writing formal complaints againstt each individual director for mal admin if the election under the constitution.  

Annual event

I suspect that's not true; the people who created the RAA boom, which occurred as GA was dying, to to let's say 8000, and they haven't gone away, it's just that in social media only a very few surface to defend what they built, and a few others, who went from GA to RAA still trying to do the same type of flying they used to do, also regularly post their opinions. That's not a measure of where the critical mass is. In fact there is a picture, right or wrong, emerging of pilots who fly in GA until they are no longer medically fit to fly,  then get into RA using the driver's licence parachute, and sooner or later there's going to be a come to Jesus moment where someone in Government says to CASA "What have you done!" you can already see the wriggle room changes starting to adversely affect RA flying. When black and white starts to become grey, things can go either way.

Does anyone have the stats on aircraft and hours so we can work out who/what are the various interest populations in RAA.

Does anyone have the stats on aircraft and hours so we can work out who/what are the various interest populations in RAA.

It's a simple process these days, where data is provided by members to automatically dissect the data and provide various results on the Members portal; this would immediately answer your question; whether that's in place is another question.

A big lump of members' funds was spent about three years ago on software that was supposed to reduce costs.

What you ask is very important to each member segment, because it can show when one segment is swamping another; I suspect the rag and tube sector is currently sucking on the hind teat so to speak.

Kasper, are your email details uptodate: as a member of RAAus, I received the call for nominations via email.

Frankly I am happy with the way RAAus is conducting business. So I have no need to nominate.

Seems a few of you are unhappy, so best nominate.......if you are members that is?

Ken

Its not opening CTA to RAAus pilots. Its Class D only not Class C 

its ONLY for aircraft completely owned by a FTS not for a pilot who owns their own. 

Its only for LSA or certificated aircraft wholly owned by the FTO. You could not cross hire your aircraft to the FTO and then go and hire it back to go flying. 

The medical required is a normal GA medical. 

Even if you fulfill all theses requirements there is no capacity for the pilot to fly to another CTA and enter that.

Correct. In other words, what has been hyped up by the RAAus HO is unworthy of even a news release. If this is what our HO thinks is a gain for RAAus - we are in trouble with our credibility!  It is of benefit only to less than 3/5ths of 5/8ths of our RAAus pilots. 

In any event, the problem for most RAA pilots is not with Class D which is usually of 3nm radius and 1500ft vertical dimension: rather, it's with transiting Military CTA, or civil Class C airspace.

I'm reminded here of the saying - be careful what you wish for.

sorry  yenn seen a meeting were kasper was present and the brass at the top brought along the legal side and bullyed kasper  they will do anything to shut him up

kenlsa your so called organization has spent a miiiion on the so called modern tecnolegy and yet what have you got for it pure bullxxx

neil 

Kasper, are your email details uptodate: as a member of RAAus, I received the call for nominations via email.Frankly I am happy with the way RAAus is conducting business. So I have no need to nominate.

Seems a few of you are unhappy, so best nominate.......if you are members that is?

Ken

My details are up to date BUT RAAus know that they are not legally allowed to use anything other than writing in the post to effectively and legally do anything under the constitution so regardless of up to date they have to send me ALL details of any election in the post and they have not. 

And just to be clear I only am in this post situation to continue to point out to the RAAus great and good one of the errors in their drafting of the constitution that I pointed out BEFORE it was put to members and they refused to consider fixing before it went forward.  I really tried to be very positive and constructive with that draft constitution but if you’d been treated as I was in the months leading up to the general meeting abdcat the general meeting you might too decide to remain a thorn in some individuals sides ...  

The RAA boom was a new GA boom.  The real boom was pre RAA.   It's too late.  Most of you never got involved with any intention of flying anything that didn't at least resemble a Cessna.

This blaming GA pilots for the troubles of RAAus is not going to do anything to help. I came from GA, but I also stayed in GA and now I fly both. The problems here are that a lot of people seem to want to live in the past and not allow others to fly more modern types of plane. RAAus and its predecessor AUF both allowed GA type planes onto the register, in fact one of the previous staff of RAAus allowed aircraft on to the register that shouldn't have been allowed. The board stood by not realising what was happening, but CASA was not impressed. That was when the board was composed of members, representing the states.If we want change we will have to influence the board members and now is a great time to do it, as there is a call for nominations. A great chance for you to make a change for the better?

We can sit back and grumble to each other on this forum, or we can try to change things, by stirring the pot.

I remember being totally and absolutely mind blown when looking at a Sonerai 2 in what must have been the early 90s and being told it was an "Ultralight".   It was too late then.   Of course the pilot was an Ultralight pilot and according to the GA pilots who knew him was too scared to fly the damn thing so just tinkered with it.  I never saw it fly. 

It's a simple process these days, where data is provided by members to automatically dissect the data and provide various results on the Members portal; this would immediately answer your question; whether that's in place is another question.A big lump of members' funds was spent about three years ago on software that was supposed to reduce costs.

What you ask is very important to each member segment, because it can show when one segment is swamping another; I suspect the rag and tube sector is currently sucking on the hind teat so to speak.

Hi Turbs, can you point me to where I can access this info - the RAA Website is doing my head in.  Cheers.

Hi Turbs, can you point me to where I can access this info - the RAA Website is doing my head in.  Cheers.

I haven't seen any figures; maybe the analysis is not being done?