Limited Controlled Airspace Access

2168476.png&key=96651f73c0f6914dc19d8565b38fb09482fd77e785e1c9acb0fa4228fed69520

2168511.png&key=4193d1d8dfcd42e826fb40cff88269f772fd75bbb55e4c8f0c478397fde1eb74 2168513.png&key=795d444a68bac2fc9a95519f82df37da6e76fdfd8d81679a5e9f379a2c497338

Controlled Airspace access for RAAus aircraft

Controlled airspace access – the first milestone is complete!

RAAus is proud to announce to members the completion of the first milestone of the planned four stage process to permit RAAus members to access controlled airspace!

This step recognised the issue related to RAAus members who were trained at RAAus Flight Training Schools (FTS) in Class D or C airspace under a CASA Instrument. Previously once this training was complete, they were no longer permitted to operate in that airspace.

Working collaboratively with CASA Sport, we are pleased to announce progressive changes to these Instruments which will permit RAAus pilots to privately hire a FTS aircraft and operate into and out of the specific airspace related to the RAAus FTS.

This change also provides flight schools at these airfields with an opportunity to earn additional revenue. We anticipate demand to hire FTS aircraft will increase, in turn increasing aircraft hiring revenue. RAAus has worked very hard on this project and is excited additional economic benefits will flow to our schools and associated Instructors and maintainers as a result. 

There are a number of specific requirements, which are provided in July Sport Pilot and provided at this link as a Fact Sheet but in general terms include the RAAus pilot being trained and assessed at the nominated RAAus FTS, requiring the CFI to make a notation in the pilot’s logbook to confirm their competence in the airspace and only that specific airspace.

This change has been possible due to the diligence and thoroughness of the CFIs operating at the 13 RAAus FTS under CASA issued Instruments at locations across the country. Additionally, the open reporting culture and professional responses received from RAAus pilots and Instructors operating in the airspace who have reported incidents and undertaken retraining if required.

To summarise

This initial access is a major step for RAAus members, allowing access to flight operations closer to major metropolitan airports and cities, along with having RAAus members provide evidence to CASA and industry of the maturity and professionalism of RAAus members.

While this permits controlled airspace operations only in RAAus FTS aircraft, members can be assured RAAus continues to work with CASA Sport to further access to controlled airspace. Additionally, RAAus is working closely with the Department of Defence to further expand access to active military restricted airspace as part of our planned controlled airspace access. Finally RAAus is also committed to progressing the proposed increase in Maximum Take-Off Weight for member’s aircraft to an eventual 1500 kg.

Don’t forget however, that this extended privilege will not affect those RAAus members who chose to operate simple, lightweight aircraft away from controlled airspace. RAAus remains committed to ensuring these additional operations will not require anything extra of those members.

If you would like more specific information follow this link Class D Instrument of exemption – solo flight training using Recreational Aviation Australia aircraft – Plain English summary

This email was sent by Recreational Aviation Australia, Recreational Aviation Australia, 3/1 Pirie Street, Fyshwick, ACT 2904, Australia to [email protected]

Unsubscribe

header_1453182889.jpg&key=9da9cb618409c3fb072369a4c27ebafb70a81e70a0bec9b6a857f29d1de5ea02

bg.gif&key=bc081f65174e72de735704179c00765b2b177c9c1272efaf7c92d82c5ba829fa

This has got to be a win for all of us that trained in a CTA, only to have to wait until the CTAF kicks in on the weekend, which at 1530 is too late during winter to go anywhere.

hopefully more to come.

I can only hope this is just the first step in establishing a broader endorsement process for suitably equipped & maintained aircraft and RPC pilots achieving a sensible endorsement for this.  It has been a long time since this was proposed, and I’ve been very keen to see it become fully available.

I only hope it doesn’t take an impossibly long time to get to the next step

A small step on the right direction but still requires a GA medical.  A lot of the restrictions can be bypassed by getting an RPL. Maybe that is what CASA wants.  Congratulations to RAA for pushing this one.  Those flying out of YSBK and YSCN will enjoy this.

Too bad CASA destroyed the Jabiru Flying School.  It would be nice to rent a Jab at YSBK.

A small step on the right direction but still requires a GA medical.  A lot of the restrictions can be bypassed by getting an RPL. Maybe that is what CASA wants.  Congratulations to RAA for pushing this one.  Those flying out of YSBK and YSCN will enjoy this.

Interesting you mention the GA medical. Do you have some inside knowledge on this?  The medical won't be a problem for me, but RA-Aus haven't provided any detail yet on this (nor CASA, typically...!).  Note that there isn't a GA medical on the announcement above for RA-Aus pilots in this first increment.

For me the main reason not to get the RPL is that I already have a suitably equipped & maintained aircraft.  I have no reason to go to the additional & unnecessary expense of getting the RPL in some random & primitive VH registered aircraft, only to return to my own aircraft and do the eastern coastal transits I've intended to do all along.

OK, so I've just noticed via the embedded link at the bottom of the above RA-Aus announcement a reference to the CASA medicals ("CASA issued Class 1, Class 2 or RAMP-C Medical Certificate").  It applies to those using this first incremental Flight Training School RPC exemption.  Unsurprisingly, I can envisage this being the sort of medical requirement CASA would insist on if/when the endorsement is extended more broadly.

Luckily, a Class 2 medical will be no problem for me.  As it happens, my regular GP is also a DAME, and when the time comes, he is fine with me getting my Class 2 medical (we've discussed this during the many years I've been waiting for CASA & RA-Aus to get on with it).

Yes, I know... very limited.... so far.  I’m waiting for the broader version to be approved. However, I might die of old age waiting for CASA to get on with it

Interesting you mention the GA medical. Do you have some inside knowledge on this?  The medical won't be a problem for me, but RA-Aus haven't provided any detail yet on this (nor CASA, typically...!).  Note that there isn't a GA medical on the announcement above for RA-Aus pilots in this first increment.For me the main reason not to get the RPL is that I already have a suitably equipped & maintained aircraft.  I have no reason to go to the additional & unnecessary expense of getting the RPL in some random & primitive VH registered aircraft, only to return to my own aircraft and do the eastern coastal transits I've intended to do all along.

"Random and Primitive"? Any training and experience adds value to your skillset - look upon the RPL (or PPL) flight review as an opportunity.  I have been to the UK a couple of times and the microlights have very low MTOW so I got my jollies with a TIF in a warrior and C172. My next trip will be a trip along Hadrians Wall, also as a TIF. Sometimes getting a solo flight is just too much paperwork - I also have a PPL and Class 2.

Not quite sure what the gain is here, the FTF aircraft would already have been OK for CTA being LSA or cert models (unless they cant get CASA approval for some reason), the pilots should be CTA trained and theres a medical anyway?

Only difference is they don't need RPL or PPL  "endorsement"

Meanwhile  Hot Air Balloon and Glider Pilots continue to have CTA / CTR access without the restrictions imposed on RAAus pilots. A classic example are the glider pilots who operate in class D on a daily basis at Camden with minimal training, no CASA medical, no GA Licence and no FTF limitations. 

This is not a safety issue, the regulations allow RAAus pilots to operate from Controlled airports when the tower is closed. Are CASA saying it’s safer for RAAus to mix with RPT at places like Wagga without ATC as opposed to Albury with ATC? Surely ATC would be seen to increase safety?

Not quite sure what the gain is here, the FTF aircraft would already have been OK for CTA being LSA or cert models (unless they cant get CASA approval for some reason), the pilots should be CTA trained and theres a medical anyway?Only difference is they don't need RPL or PPL  "endorsement"

" This step recognised the issue related to RAAus members who were trained at RAAus Flight Training Schools (FTS) in Class D or C airspace under a CASA Instrument. Previously once this training was complete, they were no longer permitted to operate in that airspace.Working collaboratively with CASA Sport, we are pleased to announce progressive changes to these Instruments which will permit RAAus pilots to privately hire a FTS aircraft and operate into and out of the specific airspace related to the RAAus FTS."

. ( : no requirement for a medical ! )

See dsam message above, you need a medical

Doesn't say you need any CTA training? which is odd.

Also says "airspace related to the FTS" so not all CTA at all

Wow in 5 to 10 years CASA might even catch up with what has been legal in NZ since I lived there in  2005. There you need an RA pilot cert (self declared medical), CTA rating & a transponder. Simple & logical but then CASA is neither of those.

Wow in 5 to 10 years CASA might even catch up with what has been legal in NZ since I lived there in  2005.....

5 to 10 years!  That quickly?? Careful now... we wouldn’t want CASA to rush in to anything so horribly scary!!

It would be interesting to play the risk management game with CASA and RAAus on this one. Sit down with the various players, identify the hazards and go about mitigating any risks. It would be a very interesting exercise, as would asking to see the CASA risk assessment on this current CTA project. 

It would be interesting to play the risk management game with CASA and RAAus on this one. Sit down with the various players, identify the hazards and go about mitigating any risks. It would be a very interesting exercise, as would asking to see the CASA risk assessment on this current CTA project. 

Take care - they might close all airports - in the interests of safety.

Take care - they might close all airports - in the interests of safety.

I’m keen to get the other sports orgs on our case. I suspect the threat of them losing their access might give them a little push!

Don’t hold your breath. CASA doesn’t play risk management in a normal common sense way. they simply decide something is s risk with or without evidence and do something/anything without evidence it will have a positive effect. 

They do this without  any plan to measure the response to that change. 

They then announce they have attended to the risk.

There is no real world correlation between either of their actions though. 

Don’t hold your breath. CASA doesn’t play risk management in a normal common sense way. they simply decide something is s risk with or without evidence and do something/anything without evidence it will have a positive effect. 

They do this without  any plan to measure the response to that change. 

They then announce they have attended to the risk.

There is no real world correlation between either of their actions though. 

Does anyone have a link or copy of the actual instrument ( not RAAus’s plain English announcement) 

its always important not to trust the “version” put out by the guy whose trying to tell you what a great job he’s doing. 

He’s highly likely to tell an optimistic glossy story. 

The sales pitch story has a slight ring of “to get the right to fly there you have to have been a student there”. Now I might be wrong in that but it might be that the CASA version may be more restrictive on who came come along and go flying there. 

I was wondering whether an instrument actually exists yet, or whether they are saying they will allow schools to apply individually to have specific instruments written (presumably with associated costs).